maryjane48
Buddha of the Board

Was pipeline approval fair for BC?

Post by maryjane48 »

twobits
Guru

Re: Was pipeline approval fair for BC?

Post by twobits »

Might be debatable but maybe the better question, and the one that matters, is if one considers themselves Canadian before British Columbian?
People need to think of that when they lobby the Feds for funding. The royalties that Prairie oil have funded over the years seems to have been ignored or forgotten by too many.
What is the point in calling yourself Canadian if you are going to resort to fiefdom arguments based on Provincial boundaries?
Do not argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.

The problem with the gene pool is that there is no lifeguard.
dontrump
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by dontrump »

What is the point in calling yourself Canadian if you are going to resort to fiefdom arguments based on Provincial boundaries?

ask the "french only allowed" crowd of Quebec how that works as far as pipeline goes its just another part of required infrastructure being put in place
Hurtlander
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Hurtlander »

maryjane48 wrote:http://theprovince.com/business/energy/pipeline-approval-put-albertas-needs-ahead-of-b-c-s-oil-spill-concerns-court-hears/wcm/34a3ed38-c925-4522-9c0d-46da4880661d

i guess we will find out :130:

Yes the pipeline approval was fair for BC. One way or another the worlds oil is going to find its way to Asian petrochemical plants to be made into everything from the housing on your smartphone to your Dacron insulated, Polar Fleece lined, polyester shelled vegan friendly winter jacket..Oil isn’t just used for energy. There’s no good reason why Canadian oil should be restricted from that market.
It’s also hypocritical to be concerned about oil spills on the west coast, while at the same time applauding the cancellation of the energy east pipeline which does nothing but guarantee the continuation of oil tankers from the Middle East sailing in and out of our eastern coast..
Póg Mo Thoin
No longer proud to be born in British Columbia.
Poindexter
Guru

Post by Poindexter »

The rest of Canada, including BC, has to eat some humble pie and recognize the contribution Alberta makes to the standard of living all Canadians enjoy.
Remember: Humans are 99% chimp.
maryjane48
Buddha of the Board

Post by maryjane48 »

*removed*
Last edited by ferri on Oct 7th, 2017, 12:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: off topic
lesliepaul
Lord of the Board

Post by lesliepaul »

*removed*
Last edited by ferri on Oct 7th, 2017, 12:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: response to off topic post
maryjane48
Buddha of the Board

Post by maryjane48 »

alberta can build refinerys other than that i would not allow pipeline with dilbit :smt045
GordonH
Сварливий старий мерзотник

Post by GordonH »

maryjane48 wrote:alberta can build refinerys other than that i would not allow pipeline with dilbit :smt045

Actually who pays for the building of a oil refinery, oh yes the bottomless pockets of the Alberta taxpayers.
I don't give a damn whether people/posters like me or dislike me, I'm not on earth to win any popularity contests.
alfred2
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by alfred2 »

maryjane48 wrote:alberta can build refinerys other than that i would not allow pipeline with dilbit :smt045

you are not :cuss: canadian , shame on you . pipeline is needed, or there will be a bad rail accident . it was very fair for bc. When we got egu. pay did you refuse it , before libs. took over and bc became a have province.
hobbyguy
Buddha of the Board

Post by hobbyguy »

What is dilbit?
The middle path - everything in moderation, and everything in its time and order.
twobits
Guru

Post by twobits »

*removed*
Last edited by ferri on Oct 7th, 2017, 6:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: off topic
Do not argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.

The problem with the gene pool is that there is no lifeguard.
fluffy
Admiral HMS Castanet

Post by fluffy »

The Prime Minister was right on the money when he blasted those who are fostering regional tension for their own political purposes. When it comes to oil, what's good for Alberta is good for Canada.
“We’ll go down in history as the first society that wouldn't save itself because it wasn't cost effective.” – Kurt Vonnegut
dontrump
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by dontrump »

fluffy wrote:The Prime Minister was right on the money when he blasted those who are fostering regional tension for their own political purposes. When it comes to oil, what's good for Alberta is good for Canada.

the prime minister has NEVER been right in his whole life if you get my gift here LOL :130:
fluffy
Admiral HMS Castanet

Post by fluffy »

dontrump wrote:the prime minister has NEVER been right in his whole life if you get my gift here LOL :130:

You are, of course, entitled to your opinion, but I've been leaning lately toward the idea that party allegiances taking priority over the merit of a particular position or viewpoint is dragging this country into a grade-school playground of political infighting.

It's obvious to anyone with an ounce of foresight that the days of burning fossil fuels are numbered, it's getting increasingly difficult to argue against the wide ranging effects of the practice without coming across like a head-in-the-sand neanderthal. That being said, in the here and now, the robust economy needed to bring viable alternatives to fruition is available to us only through the efficient exploitation of our oil resources. Add to that the fact that getting this resource to market by pipeline is by far the safest method available and the answer is clear.

The Federal Conservatives' position that the Federal Liberals' have failed the country with Trans Canada's cancellation of the Energy East project is political opportunism, nothing more. A cursory look at the Conservatives' track record in the same area while they were in office will show that. This is a business decision by Trans Canada. Resistance to anything oil related is a foregone conclusion, and with the about-face on Keystone XL that the new US administration has brought, that is the path of least resistance for now. That path is not without risk though, among his many qualities President Trump is a businessman, and he wouldn't be clearing the path to market for Canadian oil if there wasn't some sort of strategic advantage in it for him. That means it would be prudent of Canada to widen its oil market beyond the US, and for that the Kinder Morgan expansion is also a path of least resistance.

Edited to add: The current Alberta government is doing well at dealing with the considerable challenges the new landscape in oil gas has dropped on the province. They are getting people back to work, the industry is showing revitalization, and at the same time they are progressing in lowering GHG emissions. The strategy of the current opposition in that province is to sow seeds of anger and discontent against both the provincial and federal governments. Do they offer any viable alternatives? Nope. They know as well as anyone that an angry voter is not a thinking voter. The parallels with the federal conservatives are obvious. They don't want voters to think, they want them to blame the current government. As Canadians it has become the norm for us to fire the old government rather than elect a new one, a self-sustaining circle of stagnation we really have to break somehow.
“We’ll go down in history as the first society that wouldn't save itself because it wasn't cost effective.” – Kurt Vonnegut

Return to “B.C.”