ICBC debt more than what BC Libs claimed

maryjane48
Buddha of the Board

ICBC debt more than what BC Libs claimed

Post by maryjane48 »

http://glbn.ca/kFfQGF

The minister responsible for B.C’s cash-strapped public auto insurer is blaming the former BC Liberal government for a massive difference in the projections on losses at ICBC.
jimmy4321
Guru

Re: ICBC debt more than what BC Libs claimed

Post by jimmy4321 »

GET RID OF IT!!!
NDP will raid that cookie jar soon enough, it's too much for any political party to resist.
Cactusflower
Banned

Post by Cactusflower »

jimmy4321 wrote:GET RID OF IT!!!
NDP will raid that cookie jar soon enough, it's too much for any political party to resist.

You just don't get it, do you?.......THERE IS NO COOKIE JAR.
CapitalB
Generalissimo Postalot

Post by CapitalB »

jimmy4321 wrote:GET RID OF IT!!!

“But the previous government had taken $1.1 billion out of that fund over the previous six years, and so that money wasn’t earning investment income.”

Thats the Liberal government raiding the cookie jar thoroughly over the last six years. Doesnt look like theres anything left for the NDP to raid.
So much of the violent push-back on everything progressive and reformist comes down to: I can see the future, and in this future I am not the centre of the universe and master of all that I survey, therefore this future must be resisted at all costs.
alanjh595
Banned

Post by alanjh595 »

Wasn't it the NDP that started ICBC during their one term in the 70s/80s? My dates may be off. The liberals have been trying to fix that ill conceived plan ever since.
Bring back the LIKE button.
Cactusflower
Banned

Post by Cactusflower »

alanjh595 wrote:Wasn't it the NDP that started ICBC during their one term in the 70s/80s? My dates may be off. The liberals have been trying to fix that ill conceived plan ever since.

That has to be the most ill-informed comment I have ever read since I started reading these Castanet forums. I'm not even going to bother trying to set you straight. Just google ICBC history, okay?
MyPointofView
Fledgling

Post by MyPointofView »

Cactusflower wrote:
alanjh595 wrote:Wasn't it the NDP that started ICBC during their one term in the 70s/80s? My dates may be off. The liberals have been trying to fix that ill conceived plan ever since.

That has to be the most ill-informed comment I have ever read since I started reading these Castanet forums. I'm not even going to bother trying to set you straight. Just google ICBC history, okay?[/quote

10-4 on that; amazingly uninformed statement [icon_lol2.gif]
Just saying…..,

Be safe and be kind
alanjh595
Banned

Post by alanjh595 »

Since the days of Tommy Douglas, public auto insurance has been a hallmark policy of the New Democratic Party in Canada. Douglas created Canada's first public auto insurance corporation with Saskatchewan Government in Insurance in 1945. Manitoba Public Insurance was created by their NDP government in 1971, and the BC NDP government under Dave Barrett created ICBC in 1973.

In BC it did not take long for unions to try to certify the new government workers at BC's newest crown corporation. Local 378 worked for nearly a year for the right to represent the workforce at ICBC, withstanding pressure from many quarters to join forces with other much larger unions also vying for the loyalty of the workers.

The Labour Board-ordered certification vote took place on October 1, 1974, and on November 5, ICBC employees cast their votes to become members of Local 378.

During the early days of job action to get a first collective agreement, ICBC employees found they had no choice but to begin picketing.

On August 19, 1975, the striking workers were legislated back to work. The ordered arbitration eventually won the Local 378 members a 40% wage increase over two years, and a new 35-hour, 4-day work week.

http://moveuptogether.ca/creation-icbc
Cactusflower
Banned

Post by Cactusflower »

alanjh595 wrote:
Since the days of Tommy Douglas, public auto insurance has been a hallmark policy of the New Democratic Party in Canada. Douglas created Canada's first public auto insurance corporation with Saskatchewan Government in Insurance in 1945. Manitoba Public Insurance was created by their NDP government in 1971, and the BC NDP government under Dave Barrett created ICBC in 1973.

In BC it did not take long for unions to try to certify the new government workers at BC's newest crown corporation. Local 378 worked for nearly a year for the right to represent the workforce at ICBC, withstanding pressure from many quarters to join forces with other much larger unions also vying for the loyalty of the workers.

The Labour Board-ordered certification vote took place on October 1, 1974, and on November 5, ICBC employees cast their votes to become members of Local 378.

During the early days of job action to get a first collective agreement, ICBC employees found they had no choice but to begin picketing.

On August 19, 1975, the striking workers were legislated back to work. The ordered arbitration eventually won the Local 378 members a 40% wage increase over two years, and a new 35-hour, 4-day work week.

http://moveuptogether.ca/creation-icbc

What does an old press release from union professionals have to do with your original comment, "Wasn't it the NDP that started ICBC in the 70s/80s? My dates may be off. The liberals have been trying to fix that ill-conceived plan ever since."? Sometimes it's better to simply apologize for an uninformed comment and move on than to spend a whole night trying to justify it.
alanjh595
Banned

Post by alanjh595 »

Proves that ICBC was started by the NDP in the 70's. 1973 to be exact. Look it up for yourself and prove me wrong.
Cactusflower
Banned

Post by Cactusflower »

alanjh595 wrote:Proves that ICBC was started by the NDP in the 70's. 1973 to be exact. Look it up for yourself and prove me wrong.
\
Who said it wasn't started by the NDP? Of course it was, and it was a great Crown corporation until the BCLiberals got their greedy paws on it. Christy Clark really ramped up the thievery when she became Premier.

Look it up for yourself and prove me wrong.
Walking Wounded
Übergod

Post by Walking Wounded »

Cactusflower wrote:That has to be the most ill-informed comment I have ever read since I started reading these Castanet forums. I'm not even going to bother trying to set you straight. Just google ICBC history, okay?

You obviously don't read your own posts them.
alanjh595
Banned

Post by alanjh595 »

Cactusflower wrote:
alanjh595 wrote:Proves that ICBC was started by the NDP in the 70's. 1973 to be exact. Look it up for yourself and prove me wrong.
\
Who said it wasn't started by the NDP? Of course it was, and it was a great Crown corporation until the BCLiberals got their greedy paws on it. Christy Clark really ramped up the thievery when she became Premier.

Look it up for yourself and prove me wrong.

How about you prove yourself right? Just for a change?
Let's start with;
What year did Ms. Clark take power?
What year was it recognised that there were some improprieties that substantiate calling Ms. Clark a "thief"?
Why has it taken this long for these accusations to come to the surface?
Hassel99
Lord of the Board

Post by Hassel99 »

Cactusflower wrote:Sometimes it's better to simply apologize for an uninformed comment and move on than to spend a whole night trying to justify it.

What we have here is your classic Pot meet Kettle situation.
Never in my life have i encountered a human being with such a low level of self awareness.
Walking Wounded
Übergod

Post by Walking Wounded »

So let's get this straight, someone makes a post, you claim it's wrong original poster proves their post wast right and you expect them to apologize. Damn you are full of yourself aren't you. It's my opinion you should be the one apologizing, but then your a left wing nut so I won't hold my breath

Return to “B.C.”