Forest Fires: Provincial or Federal?

Should the federal government help pay for forest fires?

Forest Fire related expenses should be the province’s responsibility.
57%
The federal government should provide financial aid to help provinces with fires.
43%

Total votes: 7

Omnitheo
Guru

Forest Fires: Provincial or Federal?

Post by Omnitheo »

Typically firefighting expenses are handled specifically by the province itself. This year and last however, given some particularly devastating or expansive fires across BC and Alberta, there has been a lot of discussion about how the federal government should provide aid.

I’m not talking about military aid by the federal government, but specifically financial aid.

https://www.castanet.net/news/BC/211794 ... -fire-bill
Premier John Horgan says he and Justin Trudeau are "besties," but that didn't stop him for applying some pressure on the prime minister Thursday to squeeze more money out of Ottawa for British Columbia.

Horgan specifically wants the federal government to help cover some of the costs of last summer's unprecedented wildfire season.

kilometres of land and forced about 65,000 people from their homes. The fires destroyed 509 structures across the province, including 229 homes.

The price tag to date for both fire suppression and recovery is about $750 million, and the federal government needs to make good on the commitments it made during the summer to pitch in on costs, Horgan said.

I strongly believe the federal government needs to make good on any commitments of aid they promised. However should the government be expected to make such commitments in the first place?
"Dishwashers, the dishwasher, right? You press it. Remember the dishwasher, you press it, there'd be like an explosion. Five minutes later you open it up the steam pours out, the dishes -- now you press it 12 times, women tell me again." - Trump
mikest2
Lord of the Board

Re: Forest Fires: Provincial or Federal?

Post by mikest2 »

I seem to remember Trudeau offering help, but can't remember what form that help was going to be in. Fire suppression (and prevention) should be a provincial responsibility. I do think at the point when it reaches a "disaster" level there should be federal assistance financially and logistically.
Once I thought I was wrong.....but I was mistaken...
seewood
Guru

Post by seewood »

I can see in the feds chipping in financially in exceptionally devastating/ expensive years. This year is a case for fed. help, 2016 at $129 mil, probably not, nor 2011 at $53.5 mil .
What that cut off point is, who knows. If the province is running a deficit, then I suspect that provincial government will whine wanting help.
I am not wealthy but I am rich
Hassel99
Lord of the Board

Post by Hassel99 »

Why not both?

Province up to a point, lets say $300mm (double the average costs) then the federal emergency fund kicks in and picks up 50% or 75% of the costs above the 300mm mark.
hobbyguy
Buddha of the Board

Post by hobbyguy »

From what I can find archived, the feds promised $27 million and the possibility of pushing it up to $50 million. Plus the the feds ate the cost of the military assistance.
The middle path - everything in moderation, and everything in its time and order.

Return to “B.C.”