New rules for rent inceases,

maryjane48
Buddha of the Board

Re: New rules for rent inceases,

Post by maryjane48 »

For some that maybe an option i agree but not everyone can up and move . Plus vancouver for example if turned into a playground for the rich would die off.who is going to work at. Walmart for example or resturants ?

When you have govt that allows realestate to run amok we end up. At a later date having to make laws,to counter it
maryjane48
Buddha of the Board

Post by maryjane48 »

alanjh595 wrote:This/these restrictions will cause even further problems for the "renters".
Landlords that don't HAVE to rent, won't. It's not worth the hassle and that basement suite income does not warrant the hassles.
It would be better to wait until this Communist regime has been voted out and the rental rules have been returned to the way they were.
Horgan and his crew are doing their best to appease the lower income voters and encourage them to vote in his favour. After all, he wasn't voted in the last time around, and he had to stab the duly elected in the back, to obtain his ill gotten gains.

Lol then get ready for empty suite tax .the landlords corrupt hay day has come to an end .if you think theres enough rich folks compared to middle income to win good luck lol .

If john allows,the dam thats all the union vote going to him .this move. Will get most the less,than super rich vote . Fixing teachers contracts gets him. Family vote dealing with forests gets him. Logging vote. Ect ect
GrooveTunes
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by GrooveTunes »

alanjh595 wrote:This/these restrictions will cause even further problems for the "renters".
Landlords that don't HAVE to rent, won't. It's not worth the hassle and that basement suite income does not warrant the hassles.
It would be better to wait until this Communist regime has been voted out and the rental rules have been returned to the way they were.
Horgan and his crew are doing their best to appease the lower income voters and encourage them to vote in his favour. After all, he wasn't voted in the last time around, and he had to stab the duly elected in the back, to obtain his ill gotten gains.

Right out into left field with this comment, lol. The only reason the LIBS didn't do it 2016 when they said they would was to encourage dumb *bleep*'s to vote for them.

http://spencerchandraherbert.ca/news/b-c-housing-minister-intends-to-stop-fixed-term-leases-with-vacate-clauses/
All posts are my opinion unless otherwise noted.
seewood
Guru

Post by seewood »

Wonder if a particular family in Penticton with many rental houses will adhere to the new rules or just carry on the same?
Perhaps more slummy/tear downs will come on the market for sale.
I am not wealthy but I am rich
GrooveTunes
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by GrooveTunes »

The new rules are more inline with most other provinces now from what I've heard. I know Ontario for sure. The LIBS screwed up by not changing them before the election.
hobbyguy
Buddha of the Board

Post by hobbyguy »

http://marketurbanism.com/2008/06/01/rent-control-part-4-conclusion-and-solutions/

SNIP

"Not only does rent control cause huge distortions in the housing market, but the burdens fall disproportionately on the poor and underprivileged people it was intended to benefit. Although particular people are able to live with the comfort of low rent payments, even those renters will see their living conditions deteriorate as landlords neglect repairs and maintenance. As the situation gets worse, middle class residents are able to move away, leaving behind the poorest residents who have become reliant on the reduced rent.

"In effect, rent control grants property rights to renters, that originally belonged to the original property owners. Rent control becomes a redistribution of wealth to rent control tenants away from apartment owners, market apartment renters, and newcomers to the area. Nonetheless, over time the quality of life decreases for all residents of a city where rent control is imposed."

There are consequences to all moves to take away property ownership rights from landlords.

I won't rent out in BC. It is a nightmare if you get a bad tenant, or one that goes bad.

Dear renters: it ain't your house! It ain't your apartment! It belongs to someone else. If the market rent price is too much for you, that isn't the landlord's problem, that's your problem. Privately owned rentals are NOT social housing.

Ever wonder why there is so little purpose built rental housing being built? Because with all the renter's rights nonsense and controls it is a bad investment.

It used to be really quite easy to find reasonably priced rental apartments in BC cities, including the lower mainland. Why is rental housing being torn down and replaced with "for sale" condos? In part because that is a better investment than renting the units out.
The middle path - everything in moderation, and everything in its time and order.
vegas1500
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by vegas1500 »

If the market drives the rental prices up 15% in a given year, why should a landlord not be allowed to follow suite? There is, and always will be ways to switch tenants and increase/decrease rents as needed. Why is it no one steps in and complains when the market goes the other way.
643dpb

Post by 643dpb »

This is a massive mistake.

The government can't control basic economics; supply and demand.

Tenants have zero consequences, landlord is fully liable for absolutely everything. Landlord should have every right to evict, vacate, or do whatever they want with their own property.

While we're at it, let's force home owners to accept any renter with any pet(s), Ontario does!

These new rules are pushing me to work harder and make more money, convert my basement suite into a rec room or shop, instead of renting for the extra income. I will not become a prisoner to ridiculous government laws in my own home.

Those who voted for Communist team Horgan are a bunch of fools. Where is your $10/day childcare? That's what I thought.
GrooveTunes
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by GrooveTunes »

643dpb wrote:This is a massive mistake.

Tenants have zero consequences, landlord is fully liable for absolutely everything. Landlord should have every right to evict, vacate, or do whatever they want with their own property.

While we're at it, let's force home owners to accept any renter with any pet(s), Ontario does!

These new rules are pushing me to work harder and make more money, convert my basement suite into a rec room or shop, instead of renting for the extra income. I will not become a prisoner to ridiculous government laws in my own home.

Those who voted for Communist team Horgan are a bunch of fools. Where is your $10/day childcare? That's what I thought.

The LIBS recognized the same problems rental properties. The massive mistake was them not following through quick enough, lol. This isn't about economics, supply and demand. So much is about greed.
Last edited by GrooveTunes on Dec 9th, 2017, 8:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
vegas1500
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by vegas1500 »

vegas1500 wrote:If the market drives the rental prices up 15% in a given year, why should a landlord not be allowed to follow suite? There is, and always will be ways to switch tenants and increase/decrease rents as needed. Why is it no one steps in and complains when the market goes the other way.

Switch to AirB&B, VRBO, Homeaway, etc and get new tenants every week or two.....can charge whatever the market demands....
Then we’ll see what kind of rental shortages there are.
maryjane48
Buddha of the Board

Post by maryjane48 »

No ones stopping you .fly at it .but if you dont prove you changed a suite to something else. Up goes taxes :130:
643dpb

Post by 643dpb »

GrooveTunes wrote:

The LIBS recognized the same problems rental properties. The massive mistake was them not following through quick enough, lol. This isn't about economics, supply and demand. So much is about greed.

What?
Last edited by 643dpb on Dec 9th, 2017, 8:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
GrooveTunes
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by GrooveTunes »

and you'll very quickly see how much your neigbors like you, lol.
maryjane48
Buddha of the Board

Post by maryjane48 »

Lol have fun with that.but remember there is rules for that
.The new rules “will make sure that almost 80 per cent of those (short-term rentals) currently out there are actually legal rather than illegal, and that (with) the balance we see some return to long-term rentals,” he said. The city estimates about 1,000 units will return to the long-term market.

The decision came on the same day Airbnb announced it is setting a 120-day cap a year for hosts renting out a property in central Paris. On Monday, Seattle city council voted to impose a tax of $8 per night for rooms or $14 per night for entire homes on short-term rental operators starting 2019.
643dpb

Post by 643dpb »

GrooveTunes wrote:and you'll very quickly see how much your neigbors like you, lol.

My 'neigbors' are all renters, their opinion doesn't mean much to me, I'm sure you understand this though.

Return to “B.C.”