Andrew Weaver is going crazy on Twitter

Leifer
Generalissimo Postalot

Andrew Weaver is going crazy on Twitter

Post by Leifer »

Keith Baldrey/New West Record

"Don’t look now, but B.C. Green Party leader Andrew Weaver may have just given opponents of proportional representation – something he strongly supports – a formidable weapon."

http://www.newwestrecord.ca/opinion/columns/opinion-has-b-c-green-leader-dealt-a-blow-to-electoral-reform-1.23151322

Weaver (from his vacation condo in California) is slinging arrows at the B.C NDP while Horgan is in China this week to talk to potential LNG investors (you know...doing Premier stuff).

Weaver is having a field day. His 3 MLAs are able to act like they are in opposition ("NO" to everything with no accountability) and yet they hold the balance of power.

3 MLAs should not be able to hold an entire province hostage.
This is what PR could look like folks.
Last edited by Leifer on Jan 23rd, 2018, 11:38 am, edited 1 time in total.
Two essential strategies for success.

1) Never reveal all you know
2)
Cactusflower
Banned

Re: Andrew Weaver is going crazy on Twitter

Post by Cactusflower »

Leifer wrote:Keith Baldrey/New West Record

"Don’t look now, but B.C. Green Party leader Andrew Weaver may have just given opponents of proportional representation – something he strongly supports – a formidable weapon."

http://www.newwestrecord.ca/opinion/columns/opinion-has-b-c-green-leader-dealt-a-blow-to-electoral-reform-1.23151322

Weaver (from his vacation condo in California) is slinging arrows at the B.C NDP while Horgan is in China this week to talk to potential LNG investors (you know...doing Premier stuff).

Weaver is having a field day. His 3 MLAs are able to act like they are in opposition ("NO" to everything with no accountability) and yet they hold the balance of power.

3 MLAs should not be able to hold an entire province hostage.
This is what PR could like folks.

Andrew Weaver is simply shooting himself in the foot while at the same time giving the BCLP the biggest boost a disgraced political party could ever receive. Weaver knows (or should know) that at least one of those conditions laid out by the NDP can never be met, so why is he doing this?
Walking Wounded
Übergod

Post by Walking Wounded »

Cactusflower wrote:so why is he doing this?

Because idiots do stupid things.
CapitalB
Generalissimo Postalot

Post by CapitalB »

Leifer wrote:This is what PR could look like folks.

This is what FPTP looks like actually.

This only makes PR look bad if you think it would exist in the current political landscape. PR wouldn't have 2 parties basically split on votes with a third mini party having power because the 2 big parties would likely be 3 or 4 smaller parties and there would probably be numerous mini parties. In a distribution like that there would be a lot more options for other parties to side up to prevent this kind of craziness.

But hey keep grasping for straws guys, can't let every vote matter.
So much of the violent push-back on everything progressive and reformist comes down to: I can see the future, and in this future I am not the centre of the universe and master of all that I survey, therefore this future must be resisted at all costs.
Walking Wounded
Übergod

Post by Walking Wounded »

So you think more smaller parties and even more mini parties would make it better? How about just more of the crap we are seeing from the greens and NDP but even worse because you have so many parties. PR is a load of crap where nothing ever gets done, there's always some fringe party holding the balance of power, just like now, 3 green mla's holding the balance of power. As much as I do not like the NDP and would love to see them fall it is absolute BS that a party with 3 elected seats can bring them down.
Urban Cowboy
Guru

Post by Urban Cowboy »

Leifer wrote:Weaver (from his vacation condo in California) is slinging arrows at the B.C NDP while Horgan is in China this week to talk to potential LNG investors (you know...doing Premier stuff).

Hey hold the bus there for a moment, isn't that what the NDP faithful have been criticizing, and laughing at for eons, when it was Clark doing just that? :200:

I distinctly recollect terms like "pipe dream" in regards to LNG, and something about staying in BC to govern, rather than traipsing around the globe, in reference to Clark.

Will the hypocrisy ever end?
“Not All Those Who Wander Are Lost" - Tolkien
Merry
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Merry »

Cactusflower wrote: why is he doing this?

Because he thinks it will gain him some political "brownie points". But he's an idiot, because if he brings down the NDP in favour of a Government that is perceived to be even LESS environmentally sensitive on this issue, those who care the most about such matters will never forgive him. And they happen to be the same folks whose votes he's trying to win over to the Green Party.
"In a world swathed in political correctness, the voting booth remains the final sanctuary where the people are free to speak" - Clifford Orwin
flamingfingers
Buddha of the Board

Post by flamingfingers »

The future forecast for LNG is strengthening. It is in BC's future interests to keep prospects alive but it need not be an immediate concern - as it was with Christy Clark in 2013 - LNG! LNG! - JOBS! JOBS! JOBS! when all could see the price of LNG was tanking.

Weaver needs to pull in his horns and realize he has a vested interest in working with Horgan to ensure preservation of the environment while considering the advantages to BC in developing the LNG industry.
Chill
Veovis
Guru

Post by Veovis »

So Clark looked farther down the road than just next week and it was "EVIL", but it's just prudent when Horgan does it? Gotta love the way morals change, I recall just how much venom you spat about it all at the Liberal Premier, but now it just makes sense. Considering the NDP have used the Liberal budget and continuing Liberal long term plans why did we remove the Liberals to have a different group do the same plan 60% as well?

Weaver needs to shut his yap before there is no Green Party. He's painted himself into quite the corner and endlessly spouts off about anything and everything. The second he proved himself in it for the bribe for support we knew all knew in BC he was just as terrible as all the other parties before. I look forward to him following through on collapsing government though, then we can get back to two groups of idiots instead of 3 groups of idiots.
JagXKR
Lord of the Board

Post by JagXKR »

Old Techie wrote:
Will the hypocrisy ever end?

Short answer NO.
Why use a big word when a diminutive one will suffice.
Urban Cowboy
Guru

Post by Urban Cowboy »

flamingfingers wrote:The future forecast for LNG is strengthening. It is in BC's future interests to keep prospects alive but it need not be an immediate concern - as it was with Christy Clark in 2013 - LNG! LNG! - JOBS! JOBS! JOBS! when all could see the price of LNG was tanking.

Weaver needs to pull in his horns and realize he has a vested interest in working with Horgan to ensure preservation of the environment while considering the advantages to BC in developing the LNG industry.

Pretty much the exact 180° about face I was expecting to see coming from your direction.

Face it, the potential for LNG has been there all along, but it was the fact that Christy Clark was championing it that had you bent all out of shape, and you whined incessantly about how it was a pipe dream with prices tanking, even though Clark has no control over commodity prices whatsoever, and had been looking at the whole thing from a long term perspective.

Now that Horgan is beating the same drum, it's fine and dandy with you, despite the fact that prices still aren't great, now all of a sudden it's in BC's best future interests, as in JOBS! JOBS! JOBS! A proclamation that carries a certain sense of deja vu.

Thank you ever so much for confirming that the NDP supporter hypocrisy is endless.
Hassel99
Lord of the Board

Post by Hassel99 »

flamingfingers wrote:The future forecast for LNG is strengthening. It is in BC's future interests to keep prospects alive but it need not be an immediate concern - as it was with Christy Clark in 2013 - LNG! LNG! - JOBS! JOBS! JOBS! when all could see the price of LNG was tanking.

If the NDG government falls tomorrow and the liberals are re-elected. I guarantee you would post LNG is dead.
hobbyguy
Buddha of the Board

Post by hobbyguy »

Weaver has precisely zero vested interest in working with the NDP. He is playing them for as long as it it suits his purposes.

Part of that "Weaver purpose" is splitting away "environmentalist" fanatics and part of that "Weaver purpose" is to get ensconced permanently via PR. Weaver's attack tweets on LNG are purposed for both of those, as he is also reacting to a growing anti-PR movement within the NDP "powers that be". The message Weaver is sending is clear - "My way or the highway" and he wants that message out there on PR.

My how a little power has exposed true nature of Andrew Weaver. What a difference from the Andrew Weaver of the campaign!
The middle path - everything in moderation, and everything in its time and order.
Urban Cowboy
Guru

Post by Urban Cowboy »

hobbyguy wrote:My how a little power has exposed true nature of Andrew Weaver. What a difference from the Andrew Weaver of the campaign!

On the bright side, voters see him for what he is now, and won't make the same mistake twice at the polls.

Were it not for the fact that it's hurting the province, this current scenario would be quite amusing, given that the campaign was all about change, and here we are almost nine months in, and still running on a Liberal budget, as well as implementing things the Liberals were set to do such as cut MSP in half.

Almost compels one to wonder what exactly has changed, other than we now have inept politicians in control? Maybe that's the "change" they were talking about. :biggrin:
CapitalB
Generalissimo Postalot

Post by CapitalB »

Old Techie wrote:
Almost compels one to wonder what exactly has changed, other than we now have inept politicians in control?

Say what you will about Christy Clark but she absolutely knew how to play the game and put the province first. I mean I found her tactics a bit cold, and I didn't always like the path she chose but she was efficient and seemed to stick to her own principles.
So much of the violent push-back on everything progressive and reformist comes down to: I can see the future, and in this future I am not the centre of the universe and master of all that I survey, therefore this future must be resisted at all costs.

Return to “B.C.”