Auditor General to review Site C

The Green Barbarian
Insanely Prolific

Re: Auditor General to review Site C

Post by The Green Barbarian »

Cactusflower wrote:^^Truth is, there are people on this thread who can't handle the truth.

The first time we've really agreed on something. Unfortunately you are Jack Nicholson in this scenario.
"The woke narcissists who make up the progressive left are characterized by an absolute lack of such conscience, but are experts at exploiting its presence in others." - Jordan Peterson
Cactusflower
Banned

Post by Cactusflower »

seewood wrote:Good on them to have a review at this stage. Hope the AG will announce a financial review on this project every year as well.
The dam is going ahead to completion which is the correct thing to do and taxpayers that are interested will be told how the financial aspect of this project is doing. A good thing. Hope the report will also analyze any preferential union/ non-union contracts as well and any impact to the cost of the project.

Did you not read the link I provided? Do you not care that a corrupt Chinese corporation is about to take over Aecon? I was expecting better than this from British Columbians.
The Green Barbarian
Insanely Prolific

*removed*
Last edited by ferri on Jan 30th, 2018, 7:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Off Topic
"The woke narcissists who make up the progressive left are characterized by an absolute lack of such conscience, but are experts at exploiting its presence in others." - Jordan Peterson
Cactusflower
Banned

Post by Cactusflower »

*removed*
Last edited by ferri on Feb 5th, 2018, 11:26 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Off Topic
Urban Cowboy
Guru

Post by Urban Cowboy »

*removed*
Last edited by ferri on Feb 5th, 2018, 11:26 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Response to removed post.
“Not All Those Who Wander Are Lost" - Tolkien
Cactusflower
Banned

Post by Cactusflower »

Last edited by ferri on Feb 5th, 2018, 11:27 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Making it personal
Smurf
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Smurf »

I wasn't sure where this should go so I'll put it here. Should interest GB in the fight against wind farms.

http://www.yumasun.com/news/state_news/ ... 0b69f.html

Who knows what will come of it but it does bring up some interesting questions about the possible future of larger and larger wind turbines. You can get fish around a dam but I'm not sure how you get birds or bats around wind turbines.
Consider how hard it is to change yourself and you'll understand what little chance you have of changing others.

The happiest of people don't necessarily have the best of everything, they just make the most of everything that comes their way.
flamingfingers
Buddha of the Board

Post by flamingfingers »

You are old thinking Smurf - there are bladeless turbines and other technologies that don't rely on the old fashioned ideas you are clinging to.
Chill
rustled
Admiral HMS Castanet

Post by rustled »

Smurf wrote:I wasn't sure where this should go so I'll put it here. Should interest GB in the fight against wind farms.

http://www.yumasun.com/news/state_news/ ... 0b69f.html

Who knows what will come of it but it does bring up some interesting questions about the possible future of larger and larger wind turbines. You can get fish around a dam but I'm not sure how you get birds or bats around wind turbines.

Thanks for posting, Smurf. This link doesn't require a subscription:
http://tucson.com/news/local/willcox-ar ... 770db.html
I don't think the environmental component will be part of the AG's review, will it? Seems to me the findings would still come down on the side of hydro being better than the alternatives, particularly with transmission lines in the mix.
There is nothing more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity. - Martin Luther King Jr.
Cactusflower
Banned

Post by Cactusflower »

^^ One must read between the lines in that story. The USFWS is about as useless as our federal counterpart. Sounds to me like the only thing they were miffed about was the fact that they missed out on collecting a big environmental fee. I lived down there long enough to have seen first hand how they operate. For instance, one winter thousands of migratory birds were left to die on the shores of the Salton Sea and the USFWS did nothing to investigate. There were grebes staggering on the shore, or trying to swim to shore, but they were covered in an crude oil-like substance and left to die. When I called the wildlife service to inquire about the reason for this mass extinction, all I was told was that they didn't believe the birds acquired the oily substance from the Salton Sea area, that they had no idea where they contacted the toxic sludge, and that was the end of it, as far as I know. If someone knows more about this story, I'd sure like to read it.

There are pros and cons to every energy project. We all know what the cons are to the Site C dam, but BC Hydro is allowed to continue with it anyway. The technology for alternative energy is growing better by leaps and bounds, and there is no longer any excuse to build behemoths like the Site C dam. I don't know what the AG is reviewing, but I hope it will answer some questions that weren't answered previously.
The Green Barbarian
Insanely Prolific

flamingfingers wrote:You are old thinking Smurf - there are bladeless turbines and other technologies that don't rely on the old fashioned ideas you are clinging to.

Doesn't matter, bladeless or not, wind turbines don't generate enough power to be economically viable. My main point about the millions of birds killed by turbines is the hypocrisy of so-called "environmentalists" who turn a blind eye to the slaughter in the name of promoting a dead-end taxpayer-sucking useless technology.
Cactusflower
Banned

Post by Cactusflower »

*removed*
Last edited by ferri on Feb 5th, 2018, 11:27 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Making it personal
The Green Barbarian
Insanely Prolific

*removed*
Last edited by ferri on Feb 5th, 2018, 11:28 am, edited 1 time in total.
Cactusflower
Banned

Post by Cactusflower »

*removed*
Last edited by ferri on Feb 5th, 2018, 11:28 am, edited 1 time in total.
rustled
Admiral HMS Castanet

Post by rustled »

Cactusflower wrote:
The Green Barbarian wrote:*removed*

*removed*

I bet you're right, but that figure means nothing. What matters is the cost per kWh of useful power produced over the lifetime of the installation. This is why Site C is a far better option than wind farms and solar arrays both environmentally and economically. I'm glad B.C. has access to hydroelectricity, recognized by sane people around the world as the better option where available.
There is nothing more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity. - Martin Luther King Jr.

Return to “B.C.”