ICBC

hobbyguy
Buddha of the Board

Re: ICBC: Losses could be $1.3 billion

Post by hobbyguy »

All I know for sure is that the BC NDP "promise" to "stop Christy Clark's 46% increase in ICBC rates" is a real dumpster fire.
The middle path - everything in moderation, and everything in its time and order.
Cactusflower
Banned

Post by Cactusflower »

^^ You seem to think Eby can just wave a magic wand and the mismanagement of ICBC for 16 years will suddenly disappear.
It doesn't work that way in the real world, HG.
hobbyguy
Buddha of the Board

Post by hobbyguy »

Cactusflower wrote:^^ You seem to think Eby can just wave a magic wand and the mismanagement of ICBC for 16 years will suddenly disappear.
It doesn't work that way in the real world, HG.

But, but, that's exactly what the fibbers in BC NDP/LEAP promised! Summit fer nuttin!
The middle path - everything in moderation, and everything in its time and order.
RandyDandy
Fledgling

Post by RandyDandy »

Just like they promised to close private medical clinics. Not happening. But free housing for aboriginals?
That's another story folks. Same old same old it would seem. Election promises sometimes just evaporate and go away.
Cactusflower
Banned

Post by Cactusflower »

RandyDandy wrote:Just like they promised to close private medical clinics. Not happening. But free housing for aboriginals?
That's another story folks. Same old same old it would seem. Election promises sometimes just evaporate and go away.

I think it's all a matter of priorities. If it were up to me, I would put the ICBC crisis first because I drive a car. But a lot of people consider the plight of the homeless a bigger priority, especially at this time of year.
ninetyninepct
Fledgling

Post by ninetyninepct »

RustyCrayon wrote:
vinnied wrote:yup. time for them to give up there money swindling monopoly and go private.

I agree!
It costs me twice as much for car insurance in BC than it did in Alberta and Ontario.

Friends in Lethbridge have an identical KIA except for color. Their premiums for virtually the same coverage just passed $900 / year. Ours is $1300 . Man are they ever *bleep* at the ripoff.

ICBC could start drastically increasing rates for bad drivers. Nothing wrong with $2000 or $3000 / year for a *bleep* driver. We need the ICBC swamp drained.
gordon_as
Lord of the Board

Post by gordon_as »

https://www.castanet.net/news/BC/243014 ... nt-not-ads

It's a start. A tv add doesn't slow people down. A ticket just might.
If it were up to me , I would put a lot of cops out on the street specifically to write millions of $$ worth of tickets. Let the idiot drivers pay , and give the rest of us a break.
Hassel99
Lord of the Board

Post by Hassel99 »

ninetyninepct wrote:
Friends in Lethbridge have an identical KIA except for color. Their premiums for virtually the same coverage just passed $900 / year. Ours is $1300 . Man are they ever *bleep* at the ripoff.

ICBC could start drastically increasing rates for bad drivers. Nothing wrong with $2000 or $3000 / year for a *bleep* driver. We need the ICBC swamp drained.

Can you please post your driver record and your friend in lethbridge driving record as well so we can do an actual compasian?

Also
Please also provide a full list of Deductibles for both Collision and Comprehensive
What is their liability limit? What is yours?
Do you have a driver in the house with less than 10 years experience? Do they ?
How many children in the house hold under 25?
Do they have Road Star Plus? DO you?
What is their level of uninsured motorist protection? What is yours?
Do they have Replacement cost for a new vehicle? Do you ?

Saying your kia is more expensive to insure in BC than alberta just based on the car make is about as silly as comparing a steak from the Keg to one from Dennys.
hobbyguy
Buddha of the Board

Post by hobbyguy »

Yup, the basic problem is too many crashes. https://www2.gov.bc.ca/assets/gov/driving-and-transportation/driving/publications/motor_vehicle_related_fatalities_10-year_statistics_for_british_columbia_2008-2017.pdf

2008 - 280,000 crashes. 2017 - 350,000 crashes.

That's a 25% increase while the population rose only 10%. Add to that automotive parts prices have jumped - a lot, and it isn't a pretty picture. Some good graphs in this: https://www.fraserinstitute.org/sites/default/files/decline-and-fall-of-ICBC.pdf

Figure 1a shows ICBC costs jumping from about $3.5 billion in 2008 to $6 billion in 2017. That's a 71% increase - while revenues only went up about 32%.

The implication is a cost per claim jump of 37% - which combined with 25% more claims is a recipe for disaster.
GordonH
Сварливий старий мерзотник

Post by GordonH »

I happened to see a news story on a device that ICBC is looking to test in BC. Its very similar to a US insurer progessive device called snapshot.
Anyone may want check the pro's & con's of using this device.

Here is link to the story:
https://globalnews.ca/news/4711896/icbc ... d-drivers/
I don't give a damn whether people/posters like me or dislike me, I'm not on earth to win any popularity contests.
ninetyninepct
Fledgling

Post by ninetyninepct »

Private insurance companies would soon solve the money issue. They all communicate with each other on rating individual drivers. High risk and repeat offenders pay more, to the point where some drivers simply cannot get insurance. BC manipulates the rates with trying to combine the value of a vehicle with the driver's record. We need to consider placing more emphasis on the driver rather than the vehicle. I had a relative in Saskatchewan years ago that paid under $100 for registration & Insurance on his pickup, but $5000 / year for his driver's licence.

Why does BC have so many confusing useless categories for plate numbers? We have one combination of numbers & letters yet a neighbor with a slightly different color vehicle has something completely different.It costs a lot for what seems to be little benefit.

Why do we pay the ripoff premium for "uninsured drivers"? I pay $25 to provide someone else with insurance?
dontrump
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by dontrump »

Cactusflower wrote:
RandyDandy wrote:Just like they promised to close private medical clinics. Not happening. But free housing for aboriginals?

I think it's all a matter of priorities. If it were up to me, I would put the ICBC crisis first because I drive a car. But a lot of people consider the plight of the homeless a bigger priority, especially at this time of year.

except free housing for the homeless and free housing for Indians are two entirely different venues
dontrump
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by dontrump »

things alberta insurers do is charge young inexperienced drivers more than older experienced drivers

and people driving 80K vehicles more than one driving a 20K vehicle

ICBC makes no sense at all when they insure a new vehicle at the same rate as a 8 year old vehicle

IF ICBC was just an insurer I guarantee our rates would be way cheaper BUT they get involved in BS school programs, police road blocks, salvage business, huge corporate offices etc etc
dogspoiler
Buddha of the Board

Post by dogspoiler »

I would like to see Horgan give that gaming money to ICBC instead of where it's going.
Black Dogs Matter
nepal
Übergod

Post by nepal »

Contributors to vehicle accidents that need to be fixed:

1 Driving without tail-lights on at night. Many drivers don’t know how to operate modern headlight switches and have them on the wrong setting. Daytime Running Lights often don’t turn on tail lights, yet some people wrongly use Day Time Running lights at night.Transport Canada needs to change the manufacturing requirement, to automatically turn on the tail lights if the dash lights are on.

2. Fog lights need to automatically reset to the off position each time a vehicle is turned off. Many drivers forget fog lights are on and unnecessarily blind oncoming traffic. (Many drivers don’t know what the dash symbol is for.) Transport Canada needs to make the off reset a manufacturing requirement. Fog lights are also very costly to replace when they burn-out early.

3. Disallow LED bulbs to be installed in non-LED designed low-beam housings, as this often blinds on-coming drivers.

4. Vehicles with balding tires. These vehicles easily go out of control on water-covered pavement. This is very dangerous for oncoming vehicles, who could hit an out-of-control vehicle. This can be part of RCMP roadside duties, to check for tire wear

5. Lines on BC highways are severely inadequat and very often hard to see. In BC there has been a move to environmental water-based paint and away from longer-lasting and durable oil-based paint with reflective powdered glass. (Line painting contractors $love paints that quickly rub-off). Many USA highway markings are far superior to BC highway markings, and often include cat-eyes, as well as bright lines. (Far more rubber wears off tires, than line paint going into the environment)
Attachments
C33DFE7D-01EF-49F9-BB2A-457F280A24CB.jpeg
Last edited by nepal on Dec 26th, 2018, 7:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “B.C.”