Alberta pulls plug on B.C./Wine

Cactusflower
Banned

Alberta pulls plug on B.C./Wine

Post by Cactusflower »

https://www.castanet.net/news/Canada/21 ... plug-on-BC

Who does Notley think she's kidding? She was never going to buy any power from B.C. anyway. She made that perfectly clear when Northern Gateway was shelved. She doesn't need our electricity and we don't need her bitumen. End of story.
Urban Cowboy
Guru

Re: Alberta pulls plug on B.C.

Post by Urban Cowboy »

Uhuh, and we don't need jobs either, because unicorns and fairies are going to plant money trees in all our backyards.
“Not All Those Who Wander Are Lost" - Tolkien
Cactusflower
Banned

Post by Cactusflower »

Old Techie wrote:Uhuh, and we don't need jobs either, because unicorns and fairies are going to plant money trees in all our backyards.

We already have jobs, at least everyone who wants one has. IF that pipeline gets built, there will be very few British Columbians working on it and no jobs when pipeline construction is complete. So stop whining about jobs. There must be some other reason you want this environmental disaster in the making to be built. Is it simply because the NDP/Greens don't want it?
Walking Wounded
Übergod

Post by Walking Wounded »

The NDP/greens can whine and stomp their feet all they want. Bottom line is there is nothing they can do to stop the pipeline. They do not have jurisdiction all they will do is end up looking like the fools they are and probably end up costing us in losing court battles.
Urban Cowboy
Guru

Post by Urban Cowboy »

Cactusflower wrote:
Old Techie wrote:Uhuh, and we don't need jobs either, because unicorns and fairies are going to plant money trees in all our backyards.

We already have jobs, at least everyone who wants one has. IF that pipeline gets built, there will be very few British Columbians working on it and no jobs when pipeline construction is complete. So stop whining about jobs. There must be some other reason you want this environmental disaster in the making to be built. Is it simply because the NDP/Greens don't want it?

Are you thick, or just being typically obtuse, as in not acknowledging how far and wide such a project has an impact on business? You think the pipe just materializes on site? The iron mines itself, and doesn't require machinery that needs to be maintained and repaired, providing jobs for mechanics?

I'm fairly sure I often see people complain about there not being enough well paying jobs, and this kind of a project provides quite a few of those for the duration.

The NDP/Greens don't have a half brain between the two, so that's a large part of the concern, since you bring them up.

You always have this tendency to make broad statements, trying to sell them as fact, when they are nothing more than your half baked view on the subject. How do you know there would be very few British Columbians working on it?

You said something similar about Site C and that was proven to be nonsense.

You are always wanking on about BC this and that, feigning all this supposed concern, meanwhile buying imported wine instead of supporting local. Hypocrite much?

In a similar vein, when are you going to stop using anything that has oil in its composition, or uses it in the manufacturing process?

Hope you don't drive a car because that would be a no no.

I mean if one is going to be against the movement of oil, they should at least walk the walk, by abstaining from the use of it in any fashion.
Anything less and you simply relegate yourself to the ranks of the NIMBY's, where everything is all well and good, just so long as they don't do it in your neck of the woods, much like your concern about the environment in regards to Site C, but zero, in regards to the detrimental side effects, the manufacture of solar panels has on the planet, a sea of which you'd prefer to have instead of Site C. You make no sense whatsoever.
“Not All Those Who Wander Are Lost" - Tolkien
alanjh595
Banned

Post by alanjh595 »

This is CANADA, we are all in this together. Be no difference if the rest of Canada said that BC can't sell their wood, wine and Salmon, across any provincial boundary.
Bring back the LIKE button.
The Green Barbarian
Insanely Prolific

Post by The Green Barbarian »

Cactusflower wrote:[ So stop whining about jobs.

Why would anyone expect people who spend their lives on welfare to ever understand other peoples' desire to work and provide for themselves. One of the many fundamental flaws of the lunatic eco-nut part of our society. They assume everyone wants to be a lazy bum like them, permanently addicted to suckling at the government teat.
"The woke narcissists who make up the progressive left are characterized by an absolute lack of such conscience, but are experts at exploiting its presence in others." - Jordan Peterson
CapitalB
Generalissimo Postalot

Post by CapitalB »

alanjh595 wrote:This is CANADA, we are all in this together. Be no difference if the rest of Canada said that BC can't sell their wood, wine and Salmon, across any provincial boundary.

Because we're all terrified of huge wine, salmon or lumber spill. Oh the horror. What a great comparison you've made between things that have nothing in common at all.
So much of the violent push-back on everything progressive and reformist comes down to: I can see the future, and in this future I am not the centre of the universe and master of all that I survey, therefore this future must be resisted at all costs.
The Green Barbarian
Insanely Prolific

CapitalB wrote:
Because we're all terrified of huge wine, salmon or lumber spill. Oh the horror. What a great comparison you've made between things that have nothing in common at all.

no one should be "terrified" of any spills. That's the point. The idiots that continue to fear-monger about this stuff are giant cowards, who also are mentally ill. And unfortunately, we are now stuck with mentally ill cowards running BC.
"The woke narcissists who make up the progressive left are characterized by an absolute lack of such conscience, but are experts at exploiting its presence in others." - Jordan Peterson
CapitalB
Generalissimo Postalot

Post by CapitalB »

The Green Barbarian wrote:no one should be "terrified" of any spills. That's the point. The idiots that continue to fear-monger about this stuff are giant cowards, who also are mentally ill. And unfortunately, we are now stuck with mentally ill cowards running BC.

Looking at the oil industries track record for preventing spills though is it not a danger? Or do think that much oil is good for the environment?

I mean sure its a naturalish substance, doesn't mean it should be introduced to an environment that doesn't usually have huge quantities of oil floating around in it. Carbon dioxide is a natural substance as well, it still causes acid rain when theres too much of it in the air.
So much of the violent push-back on everything progressive and reformist comes down to: I can see the future, and in this future I am not the centre of the universe and master of all that I survey, therefore this future must be resisted at all costs.
falklandjack

Post by falklandjack »

This is just the beginning. Albertans are proud of their province, same as us in B.C. If anyone really thinks that a boycott of anything B.C, be it power, wine, tourism etc. is not going to have a negative impact, think again.
Albertans come here and spend $$ on everything from groceries to real estate. Do you think the small ma, pa resort owners want Albertans to stay home? Can the wine producers and farmers afford higher fuel costs?
The power produced by hydro dams here in B.C will be needed in Alberta eventually. Alberta produces power by burning fossil fuels. This is not environmentally friendly or sustainable. Hydro-electric power is our most viable, environmentally safe option available at this time. Alternative sources just aren't ready yet.
Tourism is huge income $$ to many areas of B.C. Would rather have Albertans than our neighbors to the south any day! (even if they are terrible mountain drivers LOL)
This pipeline is not new construction, just increasing the amount of product that already flows from Alberta. It is the safest way to transport these products. I don't believe there has been any major problems since this line has been in operation.
Shipping bitumen by rail has increased substantially over the last decade or so. This is safer? I think not. Just think what would happen to the Frazier river if one of these baby's derails.
Canada needs this. We need to work together for the economic prosperity of all areas of our country. Threatening to boycott one another's products is childish.
Cactusflower
Banned

Post by Cactusflower »

Old Techie wrote:
Cactusflower wrote:Uhuh, and we don't need jobs either, because unicorns and fairies are going to plant money trees in all our backyards.

http://www.huffingtonpost.ca/david-suzu ... 60922.html
Perhaps if you spent less time watching old TV reruns and more time doing research, you'd know fossil fuel production, transport, and especially export needs to be curbed. I know that you think anyone with any knowledge about the environment is not to be believed, but I posted this link again anyway, in hopes that you would pull your head out of ....wherever long enough to read it.
(Well, that quote didn't come out quite right, but at least I deleted the most offensive one.)
falklandjack

Post by falklandjack »

Besides, I don't believe B.C can stop this pipeline, only delay it through the courts. Wasting taxpayers money. Again.
Cactusflower
Banned

Post by Cactusflower »

https://www.castanet.net/news/BC/217884 ... n-pipeline

This should be good. Worth looking up the time of this town hall fiasco anyway. To be honest, I didn't think he'd have the guts to show up in B.C. after all his lies about the 'world-class spill response'. Does he think we don't know how miserably they've failed at it in recent years?
The Green Barbarian
Insanely Prolific

Cactusflower wrote: Does he think we don't know how miserably they've failed at it in recent years?

where and when?

Return to “B.C.”