Alberta pulls plug on B.C./Wine

gordon_as
Lord of the Board

Re: Alberta pulls plug on B.C./Wine

Post by gordon_as »

I personally am not opposed to the pipeline , and agree that it is probably the safest way to move the oil. What bothers me is the catastrophic effect of a accident involving one of the tankers , and our current lack of resources to contain and minimize the environmental damage. Nobody is saying a spill is impossible , in fact , they have identified the locations most likely for an accident to happen , and they have calculated the % of possibilities of an accident happening. To the pipeline owners , and the oil companies , it's an acceptable calculated risk. To residents of BC , particularly residents of the lower mainland and gulf islands , it's not acceptable. Rachel Notley bothers me too. I don't care what political party she is associated with , she's a demanding *%&#% .
hobbyguy
Buddha of the Board

Post by hobbyguy »

George+ wrote:Tudeau has already said he is committed to protecting coastal waters.
Whatever!

There is no constitutional right to move oil interprovincially or
For that matter any product.

Alberta already regulates liquor imports.

Of course there is. It is inter-provincial trade, a federal jurisdiction. Navigable waters - a federal jurisdiction.

Only a BC NDP partisan would advocate an unpatriotic nonsense (and doomed to fail) attempt to break up Canada. It is illegal, unconstitutional, and completely myopic childishness.
The middle path - everything in moderation, and everything in its time and order.
hobbyguy
Buddha of the Board

Post by hobbyguy »

gordon_as wrote:I personally am not opposed to the pipeline , and agree that it is probably the safest way to move the oil. What bothers me is the catastrophic effect of a accident involving one of the tankers , and our current lack of resources to contain and minimize the environmental damage. Nobody is saying a spill is impossible , in fact , they have identified the locations most likely for an accident to happen , and they have calculated the % of possibilities of an accident happening. To the pipeline owners , and the oil companies , it's an acceptable calculated risk. To residents of BC , particularly residents of the lower mainland and gulf islands , it's not acceptable. Rachel Notley bothers me too. I don't care what political party she is associated with , she's a demanding *%&#% .

Thousands of tankers sail past those islands. For decades and decades, and precisely zero catastrophic incidents. Thousands of container ships carrying up to 4.5 million gallons of fuel oil, and precisely zero catastrophic incidents. The marine safety regime is being substantially enhanced, even to the point of salvage tug capacity.

But no, the alarmists want to gin up a possibly that is so remote that you are more likely to be struck by lightning.

There are accidents with tankers in third world situations, but they are rare. The catastrophic ones are with old single hull tankers. Canada does NOT allow single hull tankers. When double tankers have been in collisions, there have been no catastrophic spills.

Rachel Notley is perfectly entitled to expect that other provincial governments will act responsibly and within the Canadian constitution. It was the ignoramus George Heyman and his LEAPers that started childish schoolyard nonsense that is unCanadian and unconstitutional. Rachel is simply doing what any adult would do when a child has a tantrum - show them the consequences.
The middle path - everything in moderation, and everything in its time and order.
Cactusflower
Banned

Post by Cactusflower »

Merry wrote:Stopping the pipeline expansion will NOT prevent oil tankers from sailing along our coast. First, we already have tankers sailing there because of the existing pipeline. Second, much of what is proposed to come via the expanded pipeline will now be sent by rail instead, which means there will still be increased tanker traffic along the coast. But under that scenario, there will also be increased risk all along the overland transportation route from Alberta. And third, there are already American tankers sailing those waters, and their number could well increase if our production falls.

Are those American tankers carrying oil, or bitumen?
Walking Wounded
Übergod

Post by Walking Wounded »

George+ wrote:Tudeau has already said he is committed to protecting coastal waters.
Whatever!

There is no constitutional right to move oil interprovincially or
For that matter any product.

Alberta already regulates liquor imports.

Are some people really this stupid?
lesliepaul
Lord of the Board

Post by lesliepaul »

It never fails to amaze me how B.C. can portray itself to the rest of Canada in such a self-centered, spoiled brat fashion and then react......."the nerve".......when someone goes against them. But hey, B.C. has been practicing this attitude for ages. Pipeline GOES THROUGH and our over priced whine will once again flow to Alberta and Ben Stewart will be able to continue lining his own pockets to the degree he is accustomed to.
Cactusflower
Banned

Post by Cactusflower »

lesliepaul wrote:It never fails to amaze me how B.C. can portray itself to the rest of Canada in such a self-centered, spoiled brat fashion and then react......."the nerve".......when someone goes against them. But hey, B.C. has been practicing this attitude for ages. Pipeline GOES THROUGH and our over priced whine will once again flow to Alberta and Ben Stewart will be able to continue lining his own pockets to the degree he is accustomed to.

Just watch Horgan's news conferences, and then watch Notley's. Then come back here and tell me which one is throwing tantrums like a spoiled brat. It sure as :cuss: isn't Horgan.
lesliepaul
Lord of the Board

Post by lesliepaul »

Cactusflower wrote:
lesliepaul wrote:It never fails to amaze me how B.C. can portray itself to the rest of Canada in such a self-centered, spoiled brat fashion and then react......."the nerve".......when someone goes against them. But hey, B.C. has been practicing this attitude for ages. Pipeline GOES THROUGH and our over priced whine will once again flow to Alberta and Ben Stewart will be able to continue lining his own pockets to the degree he is accustomed to.

Just watch Horgan's news conferences, and then watch Notley's. Then come back here and tell me which one is throwing tantrums like a spoiled brat. It sure as :cuss: isn't Horgan.

Cacti..............the "tantrums" are coming from tree-hugging, hypocritical losers in this province.
Cactusflower
Banned

Post by Cactusflower »

The only part of your post that had a shred of truth to it was the part about Ben Stewart (or Ben West, as his leader likes to call him). Ben is not one of the businesspersons who are affected by Notley's illegal tantrum, though. She's just hurting the 'little guys'. Guys like Stewart have contacts all over the world. Even he admitted that in a press conference.
The Green Barbarian
Insanely Prolific

Post by The Green Barbarian »

Walking Wounded wrote:Are some people really this stupid?

Unfortunately yes. Which is why the rest of Canada is laughing at us right now.
"The woke narcissists who make up the progressive left are characterized by an absolute lack of such conscience, but are experts at exploiting its presence in others." - Jordan Peterson
The Green Barbarian
Insanely Prolific

Cactusflower wrote: Guys like Stewart have contacts all over the world. Even he admitted that in a press conference.

Good for him. It's always good to plan for the event when a bunch of really stupid morons usurp power in this province and then go ahead and start trade wars with neighbouring provinces to placate a tiny minority of insane whackjobs.
"The woke narcissists who make up the progressive left are characterized by an absolute lack of such conscience, but are experts at exploiting its presence in others." - Jordan Peterson
The Green Barbarian
Insanely Prolific

Cactusflower wrote: Then come back here and tell me which one is throwing tantrums like a spoiled brat. It sure as :cuss: isn't Horgan.

So you are blaming the :cuss: Weaver? interesting.
vegas1500
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by vegas1500 »

Cactusflower wrote:

The only part of your post that had a shred of truth to it was the part about Ben Stewart (or Ben West, as his leader likes to call him). Ben is not one of the businesspersons who are affected by Notley's illegal tantrum, though. She's just hurting the 'little guys'. Guys like Stewart have contacts all over the world. Even he admitted that in a press conference.

You keep saying Notley is hurting the “little guys”. Do you understand how many small businesses including “mom and pop”type business are affected by the pipeline and oil industry in Alberta and the rest of Canada for that matter? Clearly you don’t. Horgan started this fight....he is just grandstanding for self preservation...nothing else.
paddyandbarb

Notley gives BC deadline

Post by paddyandbarb »

As much as I agree that Horgan cannot legally shut down the flow of bitumen flowing through the current pipeline and should allow the pipeline to be completed, so far he has done nothing more than ramp up the rhetoric. Notley is the aggressor in this little battle as she has actually ordered the AGLC to stop ordering BC wine. My understanding is there are BC wineries who now have no orders from Alberta. Notley, although with good intentions and politica motivation (looking to get re-elected by a population who now generally dispise her and her party) is punishing an innocent pro-pipeline, pro-Alberta group of winery owners. Next thing you know she will order Alberta Sheriffs to stop all BC-plated vehicles entering the province to look for incoming wine. And then there are the feds standing on the sidelines with the rulebook in hand but with the stop whistle left in the car. Come on people, sit down and have a big people talk and get this ridiculous battle over with.
Pat O'Sullivan (former Albertan)
rustled
Admiral HMS Castanet

Re: Notley gives BC deadline

Post by rustled »

paddyandbarb wrote:As much as I agree that Horgan cannot legally shut down the flow of bitumen flowing through the current pipeline and should allow the pipeline to be completed, so far he has done nothing more than ramp up the rhetoric. Notley is the aggressor in this little battle as she has actually ordered the AGLC to stop ordering BC wine. My understanding is there are BC wineries who now have no orders from Alberta. Notley, although with good intentions and politica motivation (looking to get re-elected by a population who now generally dispise her and her party) is punishing an innocent pro-pipeline, pro-Alberta group of winery owners. Next thing you know she will order Alberta Sheriffs to stop all BC-plated vehicles entering the province to look for incoming wine. And then there are the feds standing on the sidelines with the rulebook in hand but with the stop whistle left in the car. Come on people, sit down and have a big people talk and get this ridiculous battle over with.
Pat O'Sullivan (former Albertan)

He'd like us to believe "all he's doing" is ramping up the rhetoric. He's the premier, and like it or not there are consequences for what he says. One of the consequences here is shaking investor confidence. We saw this with Site C, where a whole raft of businesses ready to spring into action stood down to see what would happen next. Have those businesses in "stand down" mode long enough and you've undermined the entire project.

It looks to me like Notley does understand these consequences. She certainly doesn't have the luxury of waiting to see "what happens next", and neither does the federal government, and nor do we.

Do you believe Horgan truly doesn't understand the consequences of his rhetoric? Perhaps. After all, he claimed to be "surprised" by Notley's response to his rhetoric. For years, he got to say whatever he wanted without consequence, but that is no longer the case. Whether he did it understanding the consequences or is simply naive, I'm not prepared to let him off the hook for "just" ramping up the rhetoric. He understands the consequences now, and should be held fully accountable.
There is nothing more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity. - Martin Luther King Jr.

Return to “B.C.”