Boycot WestJet! Boycot Alberta beef!

occasional thoughts
Grand Pooh-bah

Boycot WestJet! Boycot Alberta beef!

Post by occasional thoughts »

While I support the centre-left spectrum of Canadian politics, I'm rather put off by the Alberta premier's boycott of B.C. (read Okanagan) wine. What an unseemly thing to do. Ms. Notley is right up there with D. Trump when it comes to trade bullying and stupidity.

I say, let's boycott the Calgary airline, WestJet, and Alberta's beloved beef Who else can we hurt? That's the level of stupidity of Ms. Notley's initiative.
Jflem1983
Guru

Re: Boycot WestJet! Boycot Alberta beef!

Post by Jflem1983 »

Your out to lunch. This is purely the NDP doing. Its quite interesting to note Kelowna stands to be the big loser.
We have lots of wineries. We have lots of Albertans here. Also we have a lot of locals who work in the patch. These peoples jobs are going to be at risk. At some point if things sour too much the guys with 250 phone numbers will get replaced with Albertans
Now they want to take our guns away . That would be just fine. Take em away from the criminals first . Ill gladly give u mine. "Charlie Daniels"

You have got to stand for something . Or you will fall for anything "Aaron Tippin"
Cactusflower
Banned

Post by Cactusflower »

^^Notley's bullying is all about getting re-elected. It's pretty sad when an NDP Premier has to try to out-Con the Cons to try to make points. I think it's going to backfire on her. Albertans aren't as dumb as she thinks they are. My Alberta friends and relatives are on B.C.'s side in this battle anyway.

If I were Horgan, I would bring back all the abattoirs in B.C. that the BC Liberals shut down, and effectively stop all shipping of cattle to Alberta slaughter-houses, then refuse to buy anymore Alberta beef. But unless Air Canada can come up with a way to match West Jet's new 'Swoop' discount air fares, boycotting them might not be as easy.
The Green Barbarian
Insanely Prolific

Post by The Green Barbarian »

Cactusflower wrote:
If I were Horgan, I would bring back all the abattoirs in B.C. that the BC Liberals shut down, and effectively stop all shipping of cattle to Alberta slaughter-houses, then refuse to buy anymore Alberta beef. .

It's been explained to you multiple times exactly why your above idea is beyond insanely stupid. It's time to start listening to people who actually know something about the beef industry, instead of continuing to look so foolish.
"The woke narcissists who make up the progressive left are characterized by an absolute lack of such conscience, but are experts at exploiting its presence in others." - Jordan Peterson
The Green Barbarian
Insanely Prolific

occasional thoughts wrote:
I say, let's boycott the Calgary airline, WestJet, and Alberta's beloved beef Who else can we hurt? That's the level of stupidity of Ms. Notley's initiative.

I'm flying on WestJet on Thursday, and plan on having a big Alberta beef dinner. Go Notley! Show the un-elected dumbasses in BC how a leader truly leads!
"The woke narcissists who make up the progressive left are characterized by an absolute lack of such conscience, but are experts at exploiting its presence in others." - Jordan Peterson
Merry
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Merry »

Notley is defending the economy of her Province against unconstitutional moves by the Government of BC.

By rights it should be our Federal Government who is taking action but, in the absence of such action, Notley and her Government have no other choice but to try to force the Feds to do what they are supposed to do, or get Horgan to respect the Canadian constitution.

If Governments begin making "end runs" around our constitution every time something happens that they don't agree with, this country will be no better than a "banana republic". If Horgan and Weaver don't like what's happening, the place to take their fight is to the courts. But as they have chosen not to do that, Notley is left with no option other than to retaliate in kind.

The only body that can (and should) sort this mess out is the Federal Government but, despite their feisty talk, they have yet to take any meaningful action. And it's disgraceful.
"In a world swathed in political correctness, the voting booth remains the final sanctuary where the people are free to speak" - Clifford Orwin
The Green Barbarian
Insanely Prolific

Merry wrote:
The only body that can (and should) sort this mess out is the Federal Government but, despite their feisty talk, they have yet to take any meaningful action. And it's disgraceful.

I agree Merry. JT can hold town halls in BC and be screamed at by idiots and mentally ill welfare-sucking losers, but that doesn't go very far. It's time to walk the walk Justin, and get this pipeline built. We apologize on behalf of all BC residents for the actions of a few very stupid people who somehow though not elected managed to grab power in this province. These people are not indicative of the hard-working, sensible type of person who lives in BC, and we are incredibly embarrassed by these un-elected imbeciles. This has to stop now. Be a leader Justin, even half the leader Notley is, and get this pipeline built and put to bed.
mikest2
Lord of the Board

Post by mikest2 »

Merry wrote:Notley is defending the economy of her Province against unconstitutional moves by the Government of BC.

By rights it should be our Federal Government who is taking action but, in the absence of such action, Notley and her Government have no other choice but to try to force the Feds to do what they are supposed to do, or get Horgan to respect the Canadian constitution.

If Governments begin making "end runs" around our constitution every time something happens that they don't agree with, this country will be no better than a "banana republic". If Horgan and Weaver don't like what's happening, the place to take their fight is to the courts. But as they have chosen not to do that, Notley is left with no option other than to retaliate in kind.

Readily apparent Ms Notley has bigger cojones than Mr Trudeau. i can;t be the only one that fully understands why Ms Notley has done what she has done
Once I thought I was wrong.....but I was mistaken...
vegas1500
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by vegas1500 »

occasional thoughts wrote:While I support the centre-left spectrum of Canadian politics, I'm rather put off by the Alberta premier's boycott of B.C. (read Okanagan) wine. What an unseemly thing to do. Ms. Notley is right up there with D. Trump when it comes to trade bullying and stupidity.

Hmmm, boycott westjet but still fly? I’m pretty sure other airlines still require fuel.....while not a Notley fan, I applaud her actions. The stopping., temporarily stopping I mean, of the pipeline can also hurt many small businesses in Alberta and every other province in Canada. It’s going to be built, Horgan is just grandstanding...
Last edited by vegas1500 on Feb 12th, 2018, 8:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
vegas1500
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by vegas1500 »

Cactusflower wrote:^^Notley's bullying is all about getting re-elected. It's pretty sad when an NDP Premier has to try to out-Con the Cons to try to make points. I think it's going to backfire on her. Albertans aren't as dumb as she thinks they are. My Alberta friends and relatives are on B.C.'s side in this battle anyway.

If I were Horgan, I would bring back all the abattoirs in B.C. that the BC Liberals shut down, and effectively stop all shipping of cattle to Alberta slaughter-houses, then refuse to buy anymore Alberta beef. But unless Air Canada can come up with a way to match West Jet's new 'Swoop' discount air fares, boycotting them might not be as easy.

You don’t think Horgans BS is not about getting Re-elected? He knows he can’t stop the pipeline but at least he can say “I tried my best”.

Your friends in AB must be the only ones because every single person I talk to, is not on BCs side. And I can assure you I am in contact with many more Albertans than you. :up:
Last edited by vegas1500 on Feb 12th, 2018, 8:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Cactusflower
Banned

Post by Cactusflower »

vegas1500 wrote:
Cactusflower wrote:^^Notley's bullying is all about getting re-elected. It's pretty sad when an NDP Premier has to try to out-Con the Cons to try to make points. I think it's going to backfire on her. Albertans aren't as dumb as she thinks they are. My Alberta friends and relatives are on B.C.'s side in this battle anyway.

You don’t think Horgans BS is not about getting Re-elected? He knows he can’t stop the pipeline but at least he can say “I tried my best”.

Your friends in AB must be the only ones because every single person I talk to, is not on BCs side. And I can assure you I am in contact with many more Albertans and than you. :up:

I'm sure 90% of the people on this thread know more Albertans than I do. After all, many of them are Alberta transplants. But to get back to the topic at hand, IMHO the only reason Trudeau isn't getting involved in this stand-off is because he knows that he and the NEB made the wrong decision on the KMX. If nobody's going to be responsible for the (attempted) clean-up of a dilbit spill once it leaves the pipeline and starts its journey on coastal waters, how is he going to explain that to British Columbians?

It seems tome that PM Trudeau has picked an unusual time to announce the demise of the NEB and to replace it with another agency, albeit also in Alberta. I think Horgan has grounds for a new environmental assessment.
Dizzy1
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Dizzy1 »

occasional thoughts wrote:

You start. I'll PM you my WestJet Rewards account so you can transfer your unneeded WestJet dollars into my account :up:
Last edited by Dizzy1 on Feb 12th, 2018, 8:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Nobody wants to hear your opinion. They just want to hear their own opinion coming out of your mouth.
JagXKR
Lord of the Board

Post by JagXKR »

Just finished my 14 ounce Top Sirloin Alberta beef steak. Yum yum yum. Going to have more tomorrow. Next day too, maybe. I will gladly take up the slack for those that boycott. :biggrin:
Why use a big word when a diminutive one will suffice.
jayro
Fledgling

Post by jayro »

I like Notley at least she is showing strong leadership standing up for Alberta jobs something Christy never did. I really hope Horgan changes his mind and gives approval to building the pipeline.
Veovis
Guru

Post by Veovis »

JagXKR wrote:Just finished my 14 ounce Top Sirloin Alberta beef steak. Yum yum yum. Going to have more tomorrow. Next day too, maybe. I will gladly take up the slack for those that boycott. :biggrin:

For every steak they don't eat, we'll eat three.

They can reduce the benefit by buying Alberta beef.

Return to “B.C.”