Foreign SOEs taking over Cdn companies

The Green Barbarian
Insanely Prolific

Re: Foreign SOEs taking over Cdn companies

Post by The Green Barbarian »

Cactusflower wrote:
Never mind, boys. You're never going to get the point, so just fuggedaboudit.

Oh we get the point. China bad. Unless they produce wind turbines and sell them to us, taking our taxpayer dollars. Then they are totally cool.
"The woke narcissists who make up the progressive left are characterized by an absolute lack of such conscience, but are experts at exploiting its presence in others." - Jordan Peterson
Snman
Übergod

Post by Snman »

Cactusflower wrote:
Smurf wrote:CF you do realize that Anbang Insurance Group which owns the retirement homes is a Chinese company don't you. You did read your own reference didn't you. All the Chinese Government did was take over a Chinese company.

I got your point CF, but there was another valid point made also.
I know nothing except the fact of my ignorance - Socrates
Cactusflower
Banned

Post by Cactusflower »

Snman wrote:
Cactusflower wrote:

I got your point CF, but there was another valid point made also.

Sorry, I've been away from my computer (made of wood and whatever). :biggrin: What was the other valid point?
Jhunter199
Fledgling

Post by Jhunter199 »

I think the point was that the Chinese Gov't stepped in and took over another Chinese Corporation, that coincidentally had Canadian holding companies.
Cactusflower
Banned

Post by Cactusflower »

http://www.rcinet.ca/en/2018/02/07/aeco ... mpetition/
Maybe this link will explain my point. The other point that was made bothers me, and I don't understand why y'all are so blase about it.
The Green Barbarian
Insanely Prolific

Post by The Green Barbarian »

Cactusflower wrote:http://www.rcinet.ca/en/2018/02/07/aecon-takeover-sale-china-unfair-competition/
Maybe this link will explain my point. The other point that was made bothers me, and I don't understand why y'all are so blase about it.

What other point?
"The woke narcissists who make up the progressive left are characterized by an absolute lack of such conscience, but are experts at exploiting its presence in others." - Jordan Peterson
Cactusflower
Banned

Post by Cactusflower »

The Green Barbarian wrote:
Cactusflower wrote:http://www.rcinet.ca/en/2018/02/07/aecon-takeover-sale-china-unfair-competition/

What other point?

What Jhunter199 just pointed out.
Jhunter199
Fledgling

Post by Jhunter199 »

What I pointed out has no bearing what so ever to your last article about Aecon.
Cactusflower
Banned

Post by Cactusflower »

Jhunter199 wrote:What I pointed out has no bearing what so ever to your last article about Aecon.

Then please point out something that has a bearing on the article about Aecon, or any of the other articles on that page.
They all pertain to foreign corporations taking over Canadian companies. But, the point is that foreign STATE-OWNED corporations are taking over Canadian companies, and if you're not concerned about that, you certainly should be.
Snman
Übergod

Post by Snman »

Cactusflower, jhunter answered your question regarding the other valid point for me. I am not sure if you thought I was poking fun at you when I said "Hmmm, was it a seniors facility?" but I wasn't. Further, I see no need to be facetious with me with a comment about your 'wooden computer' or whatever it was. I don't recall saying anything to you about that. I was trying to have a reasonable discussion here but if you are going to assume that everyone is out to ridicule you or question your opinion then all I can do is shrug my shoulders and say wth. I guess you have the upper hand. Sheesh.
I know nothing except the fact of my ignorance - Socrates
Hurtlander
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Hurtlander »

Cactusflower wrote:http://cfjctoday.com/article/610535/kamloops-seniors-facility-hands-chinese-government
I thought I should start a new topic, since this problem is not simply tied to the construction up in the Peace Valley.

What I got from this article is that Cathy McLeod the Conservative MP for Kamloops-Thompson-Cariboo speaking on behalf of the Conservative party, has a very serious concern about the Federal Liberal government allowing a Chinese company to buy a chain of seniors living facilities....
What I get from the comments is that CF is now being ridiculed for posting a link to something the Conservative Party of Canada is concerned about..
The Conservatives definitely won’t win the next election if they can’t even gain a little support for their concerns over blunders by our current government on this forum of all places..
Póg Mo Thoin
No longer proud to be born in British Columbia.
Jhunter199
Fledgling

Post by Jhunter199 »

Cactusflower wrote:
Jhunter199 wrote:What I pointed out has no bearing what so ever to your last article about Aecon.

Then please point out something that has a bearing on the article about Aecon, or any of the other articles on that page.
They all pertain to foreign corporations taking over Canadian companies. But, the point is that foreign STATE-OWNED corporations are taking over Canadian companies, and if you're not concerned about that, you certainly should be.

Its not humanly possible for me, or anyone for that matter, to point out something in a comment, as I did, to a reference you posted after I made it... Sorry

I made a pretty valid comment on your OP in reference to Snman's comment

There's just no possible way I could at that time make a comment on your link to Aecon since you hadn't actually posted it
rustled
Admiral HMS Castanet

Post by rustled »

Hurtlander wrote:
Cactusflower wrote:http://cfjctoday.com/article/610535/kamloops-seniors-facility-hands-chinese-government
I thought I should start a new topic, since this problem is not simply tied to the construction up in the Peace Valley.

What I got from this article is that Cathy McLeod the Conservative MP for Kamloops-Thompson-Cariboo speaking on behalf of the Conservative party, has a very serious concern about the Federal Liberal government allowing a Chinese company to buy a chain of seniors living facilities....
What I get from the comments is that CF is now being ridiculed for posting a link to something the Conservative Party of Canada is concerned about..
The Conservatives definitely won’t win the next election if they can’t even gain a little support for their concerns over blunders by our current government on this forum of all places..

The federal governments have a responsibility of oversight here, and we have a responsibility for ensuring they're doing what they're elected to do. So perhaps we should be concerned, but about what, precisely?

It looks to me like there were serious concerns about Anbang, a foreign company with global holdings. Their own government is now taking action while investigating that company.

The OP was inaccurate in her interpretation of events, which doesn't inspire confidence that she actually understands the problem with Anbang, and whether or not it should be used to support her own concerns about foreign investment in Canadian companies, more specifically Chinese investment in Canadian companies.

It's not enough to tell us we, too, should be concerned. Perhaps we should! But we're not sheep. We want to understand why.
There is nothing more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity. - Martin Luther King Jr.
Hurtlander
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Hurtlander »

rustled wrote:The federal governments have a responsibility of oversight here, and we have a responsibility for ensuring they're doing what they're elected to do. So perhaps we should be concerned, but about what, precisely?

rustled wrote:It's not enough to tell us we, too, should be concerned. Perhaps we should! But we're not sheep. We want to understand why.

Why don’t you contact MP Cathy McLeod and ask her yourself precisely what we should be concerned about, she is after all the person that brought this to our attention.
I thought the article was self explanatory, but it’s not my job to decipher it for you.
Póg Mo Thoin
No longer proud to be born in British Columbia.
dirtybiker
Walks on Forum Water

Post by dirtybiker »

I'll throw my hat in..

Not sure how big and far reaching foreign ownership of business' run in Canada.
Whether Government or Private Companies/holdings.

I certainly see a problem with it, and it is concerning.

This is Canada, and if things are not handled correctly it will no longer be.

Just an Annexed extension/suburb, of another Country.

As a dear departed Uncle was known to say;
"When they can't win wars with bullets, they will with money."
"Don't 'p' down my neck then tell me it's raining!"

Return to “B.C.”