Kinder Morgan protestors

Re: Kinder Morgan protestors

Postby Merry » Jan 27th, 2019, 11:22 am

Cactusflower wrote:^^Thanks for that. It seems that this sort of thing is happening more and more as corporations escalate their power over people......and our politicians. Can't see what it has to do with this topic, though,

The "Right to Repair" is a good example of a way our Government could help our environment, by outlawing an uneccesary and environmentally damaging procedure that is being forced on consumers by industry. And there are tons of other examples of things our Government could do to ease the strain on our environment, none of which have ever been implemented. Which begs the question why not, assuming the Libs are as focused on saving our enviroment as they claim to be.

But it also makes one wonder why the KM activists have not taken up the cause, and lobbied the Government to enact legislation to help lessen wasteful practices that are putting a strain on our environment? Why do they focus solely on pipelines while ignoring all the things that create a demand for those pipelines?
"In a world swathed in political correctness, the voting booth remains the final sanctuary where the people are free to speak" - Clifford Orwin

3 people like this post.
Merry
Guru

Liked in: 8677 posts

Postby 2manyfords » Jan 27th, 2019, 1:28 pm

Merry wrote:
Cactusflower wrote:^^Thanks for that. It seems that this sort of thing is happening more and more as corporations escalate their power over people......and our politicians. Can't see what it has to do with this topic, though,

The "Right to Repair" is a good example of a way our Government could help our environment, by outlawing an uneccesary and environmentally damaging procedure that is being forced on consumers by industry. And there are tons of other examples of things our Government could do to ease the strain on our environment, none of which have ever been implemented. Which begs the question why not, assuming the Libs are as focused on saving our enviroment as they claim to be.

But it also makes one wonder why the KM activists have not taken up the cause, and lobbied the Government to enact legislation to help lessen wasteful practices that are putting a strain on our environment? Why do they focus solely on pipelines while ignoring all the things that create a demand for those pipelines?

Kind of reminds me why some people feel the need to have "the latest and greatest"

I have appliances that have failed well before being 5 years old, that were simply too expensive to repair.

However, I have an Inglis washer/dryer set that I bought new in 2000 that are still going strong......Yep...that's 19 years and counting.

Make things that last, and there will be less demand....pretty simple. Unless of course, one needs to be on top of it all and get the "newest" junk there is.....Then there is no hope :smt045

2 people like this post.
2manyfords
Fledgling

Liked in: 222 posts

Postby 2manyfords » Jan 27th, 2019, 1:37 pm

ninetyninepct wrote:
Cactusflower wrote:^^Perhaps you can explain this "right to repair" philosophy of yours, HG. I'm sure I'm not the only one who's unaware of it.

Farm machinery manufacturers have a clause in the purchase agreement that bans the owner from repairing their own machinery. There are a lot of computers in machines now, and to save money, farmers developed software to check problems. This cuts into the manufacturer and dealer profit. Imagine having a breakdown in the field with a combine or massive modern tractor. Hire a semi to pick it up and transport to the dealer, sit for possibly weeks waiting to get fixed and needing a semi to haul it back to the farm. Thousands of dollars and nothing gets done on the farm. The farmer could simply connect a laptop, find what is wrong and order parts or ?? right from the field. Amazon. Dealers don't like this so they donated tons of money to politicians to ban owners from doing their own repairs. Farmers pushed back with Right to Repair legislation.

This is exactly right...

As someone who lives in a farming community, the general consensus is many would love to have newer equipment, but as my neighbor said, he "couldn't afford the downtime"

Took me a while to understand what he meant....LOL

Me...I just own a "hobby farm" and don't need anything fancy :biggrin:
2manyfords
Fledgling

Liked in: 222 posts

Postby hobbyguy » Jan 27th, 2019, 2:30 pm

CF - as someone who who professes to be an "environmentalist" I am surprised that you were not aware of the "Right to Repair"movement.

https://www.bbc.com/news/science-environment-46797396

"Green groups say legislation under way in Europe and the US represents progress towards saving carbon emissions and using resources more wisely."

SNIP

" One study showed that between 2004 and 2012, the proportion of major household appliances that died within five years rose from 3.5% to 8.3%.
An analysis of junked washing machines at a recycling centre showed that more than 10% were less than five years old.
Another study estimates that because of the CO2 emitted in the manufacturing process, a long-lasting washing machine will generate over two decades 1.1 tonnes less CO2 than a short-lived model.
Many lamps sold in Europe come with individual light bulbs that can’t be replaced. So when one bulb packs in, the whole lamp has to be jettisoned."

What could be better? Consumers get a far better deal, appliances etc. that actually last, and stuff they can fix - or pay local repair people to repair. Consumers save money, more local jobs, better for the environment, nobody gets "beat over the head" with taxes or other "soup nazi" stuff.

Win-win-win-win. No losers with "right to repair' except unscrupulous manufacturers of cheap junk stuff - too boohoo bad for them!

Get behind things like that instead of the "against this and against that" while you holiday in Mexico. Easy sell to the populace, they don't actually have to do anything, and very efficient economically as most of the "junk" is made in China, Mexico et al. No more "patented" tail light assemblies and nonsense like that.

"Right to repair" is something that is productive, and will bring smiles to consumer's faces.
Anyone but Scheer - career pols are know nothings.

4 people like this post.
hobbyguy
Walks on Forum Water

Liked in: 10914 posts

Postby Urban Cowboy » Jan 27th, 2019, 2:37 pm

:up: :up: :up:

Very well said.

Problem is, the shareholders of these cheap junk manufacturers, would be shooting themselves in the foot, supporting such a sensible initiative. :biggrin:
“A man is a success if he gets up in the morning and gets to bed at night, and in between he does what he wants to do.” -Bob Dylan
Urban Cowboy
Guru

Liked in: 7818 posts

Postby Cactusflower » Jan 27th, 2019, 6:09 pm

^^HG, I'm well aware of newer appliances that break down well before their 'best-before date'. I had a 30 year old toaster that finally got tired of automatically popping up. My son bought me a new one and the thing didn't last five years.So I went down to my local thrift shop and bought another old one. It's still making great toast.

I just had never heard the term "right to repair" before, and I'm glad you brought it up. It still doesn't explain what that has to do with Big Oil (and the Trudeau government) trying to force a dilbit pipeline through an environmentally sensitive area.
Cactusflower
Lord of the Board

Liked in: 1006 posts

Postby hobbyguy » Jan 29th, 2019, 5:02 pm

zoo wrote:
nepal wrote:Maybe FN engineered all along taking over and reaping the rewards of operating and expanding TMX. Maybe they duped the unsuspecting, at rock-bottom cost, and have the PM in their pocket.

I bet your right to the fact that they now have the PM in their pockets and are going after ownership of the pipeline.
It will be the biggest buy off of FN via the government in history. We paid for the pipeline with tax's and will sell it away only to FN's for a penny on the dollar. Get ready for this, its going to happen.

A different pipeline, but: https://www.theglobeandmail.com/business/industry-news/energy-and-resources/article-indigenous-group-ceo-leads-efforts-to-buy-into-coastal-gaslink/

"Indigenous group CEO leads efforts to buy into Coastal GasLink pipeline project in B.C."

The head of an Indigenous group will be organizing efforts by elected chiefs to buy into TransCanada Corp.'s Coastal GasLink pipeline project in British Columbia, pitting them against protesters led by hereditary leaders.

Karen Ogen-Toews, chief executive of the First Nations LNG Alliance, said on Tuesday that the natural gas pipeline’s economic spinoffs are crucial to raising the standard of living for Indigenous people along the 670-kilometre route.

She served from 2010 to 2016 as the elected chief councillor of the Wet’suwet’en First Nation (formerly known as the Broman Lake Indian Band), which is one of five elected Wet’suwet’en Nation band councils along the route that support Coastal GasLink.

But five prominent Wet’suwet’en Nation hereditary chiefs have led a campaign to oppose Coastal GasLink, and they have garnered growing support from environmental groups and an array of Canadian indie music stars and Hollywood celebrities."

Makes you go...Hmmmmmmm.....
Anyone but Scheer - career pols are know nothings.

Merry likes this post.
hobbyguy
Walks on Forum Water

Liked in: 10914 posts

Postby blue iguana » Jan 29th, 2019, 10:49 pm

Aboriginal Rally4Resources Will Be Held In Lac La Biche On February 10, 2019
http://www.albertanativenews.com/aborig ... y-10-2019/
<snip>
Lac La Biche-Alberta — An Elder’s prayer for peace will begin Canada’s first pro-pipeline, pro-oil and gas rally and convoy co-organized by an Aboriginal group on February 10 in Lac La Biche.

Organizers are expecting up to 1,000 people to attend the rally, which is open to anyone affected by challenges facing the oil and gas industry. Aboriginal drumming and Metis and Traditional dancers will also help to open the rally.
<snip>
The R4R event will draw attention to the need to create larger markets for the industry, the need for more pipeline development, and the need for more global respect of the environmental standards in Alberta’s oil and gas industry. The rally will also focus on aspects of the federal government’s Bill C-69, proposed legislation that industry officials fear will slow down new development because of over-reaching consultation process changes.
<snip>
“We have to all work in a partnership — local communities, the industry, local, provincial and federal governments, our Indigenous communities … all of us. We’re all in this together,” said Shawn McDonald, the president of ROABA — a community-level organization representing Aboriginal-owned and supported businesses in northeastern Alberta.

McDonald and the board directors of ROABA are very clear to point out that the R4R movement and the Lac La Biche rally is not affiliated with the Yellow Vest movement. He encourages participants to wear blue work coveralls and demonstrate in a professional and proud manner.
No matter how talented, rich or intelligent you are, how you treat animals tells me all I need to know about you.

Merry likes this post.
blue iguana
Fledgling

Liked in: 241 posts

Postby Cactusflower » Feb 1st, 2019, 8:49 pm

https://www.cbc.ca/news/business/albert ... -1.5000298

And the pipeline pushers still wonder why there is so much opposition to this industry. Instead of bashing BC with insufferable advertising, Notley would be better off spending her taxpayers' dollars on fixing this environmental disaster that's been going on over there for years.
Cactusflower
Lord of the Board

Postby The Green Barbarian » Feb 2nd, 2019, 7:34 am

Cactusflower wrote:https://www.cbc.ca/news/business/alberta-orphan-wells-1.5000298

And the pipeline pushers still wonder why there is so much opposition to this industry. Instead of bashing BC with insufferable advertising, Notley would be better off spending her taxpayers' dollars on fixing this environmental disaster that's been going on over there for years.

- this story has nothing to do with pipelines, and framing it that way is dishonest
- the oil still has to flow one way or the other, so it doesn't explain why eco-nutbars are against pipelines and there by extension favor rail and trucking. It makes no sense.
- these wells need to be plugged. It's not an "environmental disaster" and calling it that is dishonest. Somehow wind turbines are not "environmental disasters" despite all the damage they do. Why is that?
Justin Trudeau or Kathleen Wynne - who was the bigger troglodyte?

Gone_Fishin likes this post.
The Green Barbarian
Admiral HMS Castanet

Liked in: 24230 posts

Postby Smurf » Feb 2nd, 2019, 9:39 am

You are right that what is going on needs to be corrected but that has nothing to do with the fact that the pipeline is needed ASAP for the good of all Canadians.
Consider how hard it is to change yourself and you'll understand what little chance you have of changing others.

The happiest of people don't necessarily have the best of everything, they just make the most of everything that comes their way.

3 people like this post.
Smurf
Guru

Liked in: 6624 posts

Postby Smurf » Feb 2nd, 2019, 12:53 pm

Actually thinking about it I have to wonder if a lot of those wells wouldn't be abandoned and companies wouldn't be gone if we had the pipeline to get our products to market at market price. Could be another Another plus for the pipeline.
Consider how hard it is to change yourself and you'll understand what little chance you have of changing others.

The happiest of people don't necessarily have the best of everything, they just make the most of everything that comes their way.
Smurf
Guru

Liked in: 6624 posts

Postby Urban Cowboy » Feb 2nd, 2019, 3:32 pm

Smurf wrote:You are right that what is going on needs to be corrected but that has nothing to do with the fact that the pipeline is needed ASAP for the good of all Canadians.

:up:

The forest industry, and agriculture, are already being adversely affected, thanks to all the additional oil being moved by rail.

I have to conclude that most of the anti pipeline bunch, haven't accepted, that the more rail cars there are on the tracks, the higher the likelihood there will be a mishap.

By contrast, how many disasters have there been involving the existing Kinder Morgan pipeline? How many decades has it been in place?
“A man is a success if he gets up in the morning and gets to bed at night, and in between he does what he wants to do.” -Bob Dylan

3 people like this post.
Urban Cowboy
Guru

Liked in: 7818 posts

Postby Cactusflower » Feb 2nd, 2019, 9:01 pm

Smurf wrote:Actually thinking about it I have to wonder if a lot of those wells wouldn't be abandoned and companies wouldn't be gone if we had the pipeline to get our products to market at market price. Could be another Another plus for the pipeline.

Think about it again. If Alberta would finally lose their 1950s mentality and realize that its bitumen is not an asset, but a liability, they wouldn't need more pipelines. Nor would they need to buy rail cars, or whatever other cockamamie plan they come up with.

Climate change is real and they had better get with the program.
Cactusflower
Lord of the Board

Postby Mordu » Feb 3rd, 2019, 7:36 am

Cactusflower,

Looks like Home Depot is the latest "cockamamie plan" that will satisfy the "1950's mentality."

I heard this on CKUA yesterday morning.

Dedicated to "all the oil workers out there."

But you'll probably get a kick out of it.

Mordu
Board Meister

Liked in: 215 posts

PreviousNext

Return to B.C.