Kinder Morgan protestors

Re: Kinder Morgan protestors

Postby Cactusflower » Mar 1st, 2019, 8:42 pm

Smurf wrote:
Cactusflower wrote:

Thanks for the links, HG, but unlike you, I see a lot of energy influence in the first one. All except one (Keith Chaulk) are from the oil, gas, and/or mining industries. Most, if not all, are from Alberta, namely Calgary. Same old, same old.

I scrolled down the entire Tides Foundation and Tides Center (Centre?) article and couldn't find Canada mentioned in there anywhere. Show me the proof that they fund other countries' environmental protest rallies.

I'm sure HG will answer you but I took a quick look at Tides Canada. Check it out if you want ties ideas what goes on.

snip!
Tides Canada, a Vancouver group that runs a grant-making foundation and a charity that backs environmental and social-justice projects, received $10.9-million in foreign funding in 2011 — amounting to 45% of the group’s total revenue, according to an accounting breakdown posted on its website. That is more than usual, Tides said, because of a large grant from the San Francisco-based Gordon and Betty Moore Foundation to support marine planning and protect wild salmon in B.C.

The rare release of such a detailed account comes on the heels of Ottawa’s warning that it will arm the tax department with $8 million to enforce the rules around political activity and foreign funding. To some analysts and charities, that move had everything to do with the ongoing clash between environmental groups and resource development — specifically the proposed $7-billion Northern Gateway pipeline project.

https://nationalpost.com/news/canada/ti ... nforcement

Snip!
If Tides Canada Foundation were to lose its charitable status in Canada, this would trigger a domino effect that would cause problems with the Internal Revenue Service in the United States, not only for Tides Canada but also for its big U.S. funders. This is why the stakes are so high when it comes to the outcome of Tides Canada's audit by the Canada Revenue Agency. A poor outcome would reflect badly not only on Tides Canada and its U.S. parent organization, The Tides Foundation ("Tides USA") but also, to some extent, on the foundations that have spent tens of millions of dollars via Tides USA and Tides Canada. Furthermore, if Tides Canada were to lose its charitable status, it would no longer be able to serve as a funding channel to activist groups.
oq

https://fairquestions.typepad.com/rethi ... tters.html

Just a couple of places to start if you want to see outside influence in Canada. You will be able to follow the chain for days.

I'm back, Smurf, and I gotta tell you I'm not amused that you would expect me to wade through two very outdated right wing articles. The National Post's was written so long ago (June 27, 2012) that Joe Oliver was still Energy Minister. The second one is from some dubious publication, written on May 27' 2017. Neither have any relevance to what's happening today in the war between AB and BC, or more to the point, the oil and gas industry and environmentalists.

If you want to go along with Ms. Krause and Mr. Ellerton's smear campaign against Tides Canada, the least you can do is compare what Tides is funding with what Big Oil's fundraisers are doling out to their 'organizations'. Everyone knows that all large corporations hide stuff from the CRA, especially large oil and gas corporations, so why even throw that red herring into the soup?
Cactusflower
Lord of the Board

Liked in: 1006 posts

Postby Urbane » Mar 1st, 2019, 9:00 pm

Discussions like these always go off the rails, at least temporarily, by some posters who deflect. When they can't refute logical points they complain about the author or the comments made being "right wing." Or they suggest the linked material is too long or somehow out of date. Sad.

It's ridiculous to try to stop Alberta oil from getting to tide water when we have U.S. oil tankers sailing right behind the B.C. Legislature every day. It makes no sense. None. We will need petroleum products long into the future. Even electric cars have serious limitations, at least at this point, and until those limitations are figured out most people will continue to own vehicles with an internal combustion engine.

And then we have the argument that rail cars are safer than pipelines. One poster claimed just that and then linked to an article which stated the obvious, i.e. that pipelines are far safer than rail cars. Duh! The protestors have had their say but we're long past the time when they should be thwarting the will of the majority. Let's get this project moving again! Soon!

6 people like this post.
Urbane
Buddha of the Board

Liked in: 13057 posts

Postby Cactusflower » Mar 1st, 2019, 9:32 pm

Urbane wrote:Discussions like these always go off the rails, at least temporarily, by some posters who deflect. When they can't refute logical points they complain about the author or the comments made being "right wing." Or they suggest the linked material is too long or somehow out of date. Sad.

It's ridiculous to try to stop Alberta oil from getting to tide water when we have U.S. oil tankers sailing right behind the B.C. Legislature every day. It makes no sense. None. We will need petroleum products long into the future. Even electric cars have serious limitations, at least at this point, and until those limitations are figured out most people will continue to own vehicles with an internal combustion engine.

And then we have the argument that rail cars are safer than pipelines. One poster claimed just that and then linked to an article which stated the obvious, i.e. that pipelines are far safer than rail cars. Duh! The protestors have had their say but we're long past the time when they should be thwarting the will of the majority. Let's get this project moving again! Soon!

Since I'm the 'one poster' to which you refer, I'm willing to agree to disagree with you. I think this thread has run its course anyway, so until there's something new to add, shall we call it a day?
Cactusflower
Lord of the Board

Postby Urbane » Mar 1st, 2019, 9:38 pm

Cactusflower wrote:
    Since I'm the 'one poster' to which you refer, I'm willing to agree to disagree with you. I think this thread has run its course anyway, so until there's something new to add, shall we call it a day?
That's the other deflection so thanks for reminding me. When the discussion isn't going the way of the poster she suggests that the thread has run its course. No, CF, this thread hasn't run its course. Not as long as there are protestors trying to stop the pipeline.

6 people like this post.
Urbane
Buddha of the Board

Postby Cactusflower » Mar 1st, 2019, 10:01 pm

Urbane wrote:
    Cactusflower wrote:
That's the other deflection so thanks for reminding me. When the discussion isn't going the way of the poster she suggests that the thread has run its course. No, CF, this thread hasn't run its course. Not as long as there are protestors trying to stop the pipeline.

Okay, toodle-oo then, Urb. See you when you have something new to add. :smt045
Cactusflower
Lord of the Board

Postby Urbane » Mar 1st, 2019, 11:09 pm

:topic: "Kinder Morgan protestors"

OKkayak likes this post.
Urbane
Buddha of the Board

Postby twobits » Mar 2nd, 2019, 6:34 pm

And my question is.....why did I just read five pages of peanut chucking to one poster?? Please please, for mental health sake, please quit watering this desert plant. It is laughing at everyone. It has made everyone a PNE chicken that hits the button to swing the bat and get a kernel of corn.
Maybe even Tides fertilized. How else would you get a used EV to Mexico.
Do not argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.

The problem with the gene pool is that there is no lifeguard.

OKkayak likes this post.
twobits
Guru

Liked in: 3853 posts

Postby erinmore3775 » Mar 2nd, 2019, 9:07 pm

https://www.cbc.ca/radio/quirks/mar-2-2019-the-goodness-paradox-secrets-in-poop-converting-carbon-to-coal-and-more-1.5037008/creating-coal-from-co2-undoing-fossil-fuel-burning-to-save-the-climate-1.5037028

Think of the benefits that groups like Tides could accomplish if they put their money into research on Carbon dioxide capture rather than opposing pipeline and Alberta oil. I have to give Australia credit their carbon capture research is tied to their coal production and their wind generated electricity. Protesting only promotes Hot Air and antagonism. I wonder when the protesters will start to look for real life solutions.
"Justice will not come until those who are not injured are as indignant as those who are injured."
- Thucydides, Greek Philosopher

"You make a living by what you get; you make a life by what you give." - Winston Churchill

2 people like this post.
erinmore3775
Übergod

Liked in: 1729 posts

Postby Cactusflower » Mar 2nd, 2019, 9:17 pm

erinmore3775 wrote:https://www.cbc.ca/radio/quirks/mar-2-2019-the-goodness-paradox-secrets-in-poop-converting-carbon-to-coal-and-more-1.5037008/creating-coal-from-co2-undoing-fossil-fuel-burning-to-save-the-climate-1.5037028

Think of the benefits that groups like Tides could accomplish if they put their money into research on Carbon dioxide capture rather than opposing pipeline and Alberta oil. I have to give Australia credit their carbon capture research is tied to their coal production and their wind generated electricity. Protesting only promotes Hot Air and antagonism. I wonder when the protesters will start to look for real life solutions.

I don't know about the protesters, but many environmental groups are looking for and have actually found 'real life' solutions.
Trouble is, government and industry aren't listening.
Cactusflower
Lord of the Board

Postby Fancy » Mar 2nd, 2019, 9:21 pm

Cactusflower wrote:I don't know about the protesters, but many environmental groups are looking for and have actually found 'real life' solutions.

Such as?
Fancy this, Fancy that and by the way, T*t for Tat
Fancy
Grand Pilgrim

Liked in: 7601 posts

Postby Cactusflower » Mar 2nd, 2019, 10:06 pm

Fancy wrote:
Cactusflower wrote:I don't know about the protesters, but many environmental groups are looking for and have actually found 'real life' solutions.

Such as?

http://peaceenergy.ca/wp-content/upload ... Energy.pdf
There's a ton of information out there if you take the time to look for it.
And yes, I can read what people on my ignore list submits, if I wish to. Most of the time I don't wish to though. The reason I clicked on your submission this time is because I haven't noticed you on this thread before.
http://cleanenergycanada.org/report/less-is-more/
Here's another site to watch.
Cactusflower
Lord of the Board

Postby Fancy » Mar 3rd, 2019, 12:38 am

I've responded to your posts on this thread almost a year ago and posted material when it is pertinent. I only asked "such as" to verify what exactly environmental groups have come up with as far as solutions go.

OKkayak likes this post.
Fancy
Grand Pilgrim

Postby OKkayak » Mar 3rd, 2019, 1:39 am

Cactusflower wrote:And yes, I can read what people on my ignore list submits, if I wish to. Most of the time I don't wish to though.

Is there a reason why you need to mention your "ignore list" in literally every second post you make? Nobody cares.
“Our species can only survive if we have obstacles to overcome. You remove those obstacles. Without them to strengthen us, we will weaken and die.”

- James Tiberius Kirk

2 people like this post.
OKkayak
Lord of the Board

Liked in: 4217 posts

Postby Cactusflower » Mar 3rd, 2019, 10:27 am

OKkayak wrote:
Cactusflower wrote:And yes, I can read what people on my ignore list submits, if I wish to. Most of the time I don't wish to though.

Is there a reason why you need to mention your "ignore list" in literally every second post you make? Nobody cares.

Are you deliberately trying to deflect from the gist of this thread, and if so why?
In reply to you're question, I only mention it when asked. Perhaps they don't know about that option.
:topic: There is really nothing new to add to this topic unless you want to read that link I provided on the Canada page, regarding the new energy bill.
Cactusflower
Lord of the Board

Postby Fancy » Mar 3rd, 2019, 10:34 am

^^off topic (again) nobody asked and you're welcome to use the pm feature.

:topic:

The province said transporting oil by rail cars is more expensive, less efficient and less environmentally-friendly than by pipeline.

“We could be getting so much more out of our products then we do, but instead, we are forced to curtail production and lease rail cars to move our product,” a government statement read.

https://globalnews.ca/news/5008149/tran ... a-working/

2 people like this post.
Fancy
Grand Pilgrim

PreviousNext

Return to B.C.