Kinder Morgan protestors

hobbyguy
Buddha of the Board

Re: Kinder Morgan protestors

Post by hobbyguy »

Bottom up solutions are generated by consensus. Not by green anarchist "my way or the highway". Part of consensus building is discarding useless ideas and misinformation.

In a democracy we do that by electing representatives who represent that consensus. Then those representatives proceed with implementing the consensus.

In terms of the pipeline, we know that the Liberals and Conservatives are in agreement that the pipeline and tanker traffic is safe, and that it is in the national interest. We also know that the "working people's" NDP are on board as well.

That leaves only the crazy LEAPers and the ideologically constipated Greens, plus a few nimbys not on board with the consensus that the TMX is a good project, safe, and in the interests of Canada and Canadians.

The Liberals got 39.5% of the vote, the Conservatives got 31.9% of the vote. The Bloc got 4.7% of the vote, and have said nothing. The NDP got 19.7% of the vote, and at most the LEAPing twits are 20% of that = 3.9%. The ideologically constipated Greens got a dismal 3.4% of the vote.

So we have 71.4% in favor, which is a strong consensus. You could add a minimum of 13% to that from the "working people's" NDP and the Bloc, and probably as much 19% - making it a consensus of 84-90%.

That's how democracy works. 80% + is very, very strong consensus. The green anarchists led by the ideologically constipated Greens and the whackadoodle LEAPers do NOT have the right to obstruct. When a democratic decision is made, it is their responsibly to accept it - especially those that wish to called MPs - which is why I feel that Elizabeth May and Kennedy Stewart deserve to charged with criminal contempt and given suspended sentences of 2 years plus a day. They have abrogated their sworn duties to the crown - and so should be expelled from parliament.

I have no problem with legal protest. No problem with pols who genuinely want to express another point of view even if I think it is ignorant (you didn't see Avi Lewis at the protest).

Canada is a democracy. In a democracy you don't always get your individual way or preference. Those who would attack that I will not accept, and they are only destructive, building nothing. My father and grandfather did not fight in world wars to see snollygosters and anarchists childishly tear at the fabric of this great country. A democratic decision has been made.

Build the pipeline. Go Canada!
The middle path - everything in moderation, and everything in its time and order.
normaM
The Pilgrim

Post by normaM »

cool thing about Canada is that we are all free to move
And I asked Mr Green not you K.. unless you a new handmaiden Or a sock. Could it be some here have multi accts to support their platform? Say it isn't so
The Yukon is lovely
Oh well, illegal protests are usually the toughest and yield best results
See if I hated my Govt so, and didn't have coin to sway votes etc I'd move to a place in Canada makes me happy
If there was a Loser contest you'd come in second
blue iguana
Fledgling

Post by blue iguana »

On dilbit, oil spill response and political gamesmanship
https://achemistinlangley.net/2018/02/0 ... esmanship/

Article by a Chemist. Sorry if link has already been posted.
Urban Cowboy
Guru

Post by Urban Cowboy »

:up:
Excellent article, and from someone who actually knows what they are talking about.

Noteworthy also, is that the most recent findings, are that light crude oil, is actually more harmful to the environment than dilbit.

That's an inconvenient truth for the anti pipeline gang.
“Not All Those Who Wander Are Lost" - Tolkien
hobbyguy
Buddha of the Board

Post by hobbyguy »

normaM wrote:cool thing about Canada is that we are all free to move
And I asked Mr Green not you K.. unless you a new handmaiden Or a sock. Could it be some here have multi accts to support their platform? Say it isn't so
The Yukon is lovely
See if I hated my Govt so, and didn't have coin to sway votes etc I'd move to a place in Canada makes me happy

Illegal protests do NOT yield the best results. That's a false anarchist proposition.

E.g. our health care system in Canada was NOT brought about by illegal protest, it was brought about by tireless political effort toward positive change.

That's the problem with the green anarchists, they have no positive change to offer, and real changes come from real effort, not childishly throwing tantrums.

Don't like the system? Well then get elected and promote positive changes. Realize that societies and their underlying economies do not turn on a dime, as the foolish LEAP twerps think. It takes time and concerted hard work to build up better options - which is where people will gravitate to.

The silly ideologically constipated Greens and the lunatic LEAPers are not offering anything positive, they just want "burn it all down". Not surprising as most of them are either political scientists or ivory tower academics that are disconnected from real people.

These are the kinds of people who will drive positive change, doing the hard work and making the investments that will enable positive change: http://www.mining.com/web/high-grades-light-up-canadian-lithium-explorer/

Yup, good old fashioned hard working Canadian miners and investors.

Would YOU even bother to try to build a lithium mine in BC with an idiot like Heyman blocking everything? I certainly wouldn't. So BC will miss out again - just like we did in the 1990s - because the BC NDP can't control their radical factions like the LEAPers.

http://www.mining.com/web/b-c-sits-atop-untapped-lithium-reservoirs-entrepreneur/

We will wind up once again a "have not" province as the opportunities pass us by.

What hard work do the likes of Andrew Weaver or Elizabeth May or Kennedy Stewart or George Heyman ever do? Nothing. They flap their yaps and collect fat salaries and pensions and all they really produce is methane.
The middle path - everything in moderation, and everything in its time and order.
Urban Cowboy
Guru

Post by Urban Cowboy »

Yep, full speed ahead on the "have not" train we be. :biggrin:

The NDP railroad to economic disaster.
“Not All Those Who Wander Are Lost" - Tolkien
Drip_Torch
Guru

Post by Drip_Torch »

normaM wrote:cool thing about Canada is that we are all free to move
The Yukon is lovely

Hmm, that reminds me... Wonder what happened to GB today? You don't suppose he was down in Vancouver rubbing elbows at the TED talks - do you?

DascokTUwAAhatx.jpg
Drip Torch - an upright and steadfast keeper of the flame, but when tilted sideways the contents spill and then our destiny is in the wind...
mikest2
Lord of the Board

Post by mikest2 »

Could the big stick be coming out ? Here's hoping so.................

http://nationalpost.com/commodities/ene ... e8b01b8204
Once I thought I was wrong.....but I was mistaken...
alanjh595
Banned

Post by alanjh595 »

This could be changed if, beginning tomorrow, Alberta legislates that the Trans Mountain Pipeline only be allowed to ship dilbit.

Alberta would immediately benefit from the increased export value by sending this product to the Far East. The lack of refined products arriving at Kinder Morgan’s Burnaby terminus might give B.C. pause to rethink their objections to the pipeline expansion.
In the interim, B.C. could purchase refined products trucked either from Washington state or from Alberta refineries, albeit at a marginally higher expense than refined products currently shipped via the pipeline. The increased pump cost of gasoline, maybe 50 cents/litre, might refocus the B.C. government’s efforts towards a quick completion of the pipeline expansion and an end to their obfuscating tactics.
Bring back the LIKE button.
alanjh595
Banned

Post by alanjh595 »

“We will be bringing forward legislation giving our government the powers it needs to impose serious economic consequences on British Columbia if its government continues on its present course. Let me be absolutely clear, they cannot mess with Alberta.”

When she stopped the importation of B.C. wine into Alberta, Notley showed a toughness and a resolve that suggests she will indeed follow through on her threats. B.C. motorists should be very worried.

And Ottawa will now have to shift from the prime minister impatiently stamping his feet and demanding that B.C. comply with his edict that the pipeline must be built, to a more aggressive stance that may inflict real economic pain on the B.C. government.

As I have pointed out in this space before, B.C. needs literally billions of dollars from Ottawa to meet all kinds of commitments, including building transit lines and housing and funding health care.

Will the prime minister say something along the lines of “nice transit line you have here. I’d hate to see anything happen to it,” when B.C. goes looking for a few billion dollars to build the Broadway subway line or Surrey LRT?

http://www.nsnews.com/opinion/columnist ... 1.23262370
seewood
Guru

Post by seewood »

Hope Trudeau does more than cut Horgan off his Christmas card list..

Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but I thought our fuel ( Okanagan) gets delivered from Kamloops. Refined fuel gets to Kamloops by truck or pipeline? Would we be affected by the refined fuel being cut off to Burnaby? I suppose one could see the gas stations getting greedy and price fuel similar to Vancouver regardless the product has nothing to do with the pipe to Burnaby.
Going to be an interesting next week with Horgan's intransience..
I am not wealthy but I am rich
alanjh595
Banned

Post by alanjh595 »

Canadian senators give unanimous push for Trans Mountain

“I urge the Prime Minister and his government to provide real leadership in this matter,” he said. “He (Trudeau) needs to remind the BC government that Trans Mountain is the federal government’s responsibility. He needs to tell Premier Horgan to step aside and cease this nonsense. He needs to send a strong message to all Canadians that further delays, disruptions and disorder will not be tolerated.”

He told JWN he fears that the federal government will avoid taking decisive action to make certain the project is built and Kinder Morgan will become discouraged and drop its plans.

“Hopefully this will send a strong message to the prime minister,” he said.

He said Natural Resources Minister Jim Carr will appear before the senate next week for question period and he intends to “hold him to account” to compel the government “to stop this B.S. going on in B.C.”

The senate will also soon begin debating Bill S-245, which was introduced by independent Alberta Sen. Doug Black on Feb. 15.

That bill is strongly worded, and is described as “an Act to declare the Trans Mountain project and related works to be for the general advantage of Canada."

http://www.pipelinenewsnorth.ca/news/in ... 1.23210432
Cactusflower
Banned

Post by Cactusflower »

Don't you just love it when the Cons submit links from www.pipelinenewsnoth.ca? Canada's Senate is a sick joke, especially since Harper appointed guys like the one in the photo provided. BTW, does that party still hold a majority in the Senate, or has Trudeau had time to appoint a majority of Libs? (Like I said, a sick joke.)
Drip_Torch
Guru

Post by Drip_Torch »

alanjh595 wrote:That bill is strongly worded, and is described as “an Act to declare the Trans Mountain project and related works to be for the general advantage of Canada."

LoL.

The only constitutional crisis brewing in Canada is we appear to have Conservative Senators that can be bothered to read it. But hey, I'm willing to cut him some slack. He was busy running his oil services company - who's got time to read the constitution when you're busy doing that?

Bias, what bias?
Drip Torch - an upright and steadfast keeper of the flame, but when tilted sideways the contents spill and then our destiny is in the wind...
alanjh595
Banned

Post by alanjh595 »

Horgan wants to have the PM to order him to "stand down" and that the pipeline will proceed. It is the only way that Horgan can save face and remain in power until the next election. If the PM doesn't order him to back off, Weaver will withdraw the Green's support and his term will end immediately.
Just like he did with Site C. There was enough evidence and support FOR Site C that the only logical solution was to allow it to proceed and declare that it is really not what he wanted.
He then not only "allowed" the LNG pipeline to get approved but, supported it. That was contrary to his campaign platform. That was strike 2.
Now if he doesn't fight the TMX pipeline tooth and nail, Weaver will shut this NDP government down and Hogan will have no place to go. Even if the PM orders him to stop with his behaviour, he must fight or risk being disposed as a traitor.
The PM could buy a major share of the TMX and declare it as a National project and will completely take BC's say in the matter, completely from the BC's residents.
As I see it, Horgan has 2 choices....either willingly complies to the demands of Canada and have the Greens drop the NDP immediately and back the Liberals, OR wait until Canada orders him to comply under protest and wait it out until the next election or the next time he ticks off the Greens and they then withdraw their support.
Either he get's to serve out his 3 remaining years or he can go down in the history books as the shortest governing party in BC.

Return to “B.C.”