NDP shoot down FIFA games

twobits
Guru

Re: NDP shoot down FIFA games

Post by twobits »

oneh2obabe wrote:Maybe if you studied the game and understood the skills involved you wouldn't be bored. And FYI, it's not 22 people chasing the ball ... each team fields 11 players - 10 field players and 1 goalie who protects the 18-yard box. The goalie may join the outfield players in the attack - usually when a team is trailing during injury period and they need to attack in full force.

Don't get baited into responding to nonsense. It is what drives them.
Do not argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.

The problem with the gene pool is that there is no lifeguard.
GordonH
Сварливий старий мерзотник

Post by GordonH »

George+ wrote:And soccer is boring.

22 people chasing one ball.

Boring.

Only to many in Canada & US, to the rest of the World it is the most popular sport (this is why it's called the Beautiful Game).
The game & players I have absolutely no issues with, it's organizational body FIFA that I have issues with.
I don't give a damn whether people/posters like me or dislike me, I'm not on earth to win any popularity contests.
seewood
Guru

Post by seewood »

George+ wrote:And soccer is boring.

22 people chasing one ball.

Boring.

Think using two balls would liven it up a bit?
I am not wealthy but I am rich
Catsumi
Buddha of the Board

Post by Catsumi »

Even more entertaining when they kick real heads a la Mayan.
Sufficiently advanced incompetence is indistinguishable from malice. There’s a certain point at which ignorance becomes malice, at which there is simply no way to become THAT ignorant except deliberately and maliciously.

Unknown
twobits
Guru

Post by twobits »

Catsumi wrote:Even more entertaining when they kick real heads a la Mayan.

Historically incorrect. They did not kick heads. Rather, the Captain of the winning team, in a sport closer to basketball than soccer, had the honour of having his head cut off which bestowed honour and a place in history with a carved stone facial monument placed in a very long row of successive victors.
Do not argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.

Catsumi
Buddha of the Board

Post by Catsumi »

Twobits, you are so right. I must have had a drop too much.

It was the Afghans that played a polo-like game using severed heads as balls.

Apologies to Mayans for unintended slur. :135:
Sufficiently advanced incompetence is indistinguishable from malice. There’s a certain point at which ignorance becomes malice, at which there is simply no way to become THAT ignorant except deliberately and maliciously.

Unknown
normaM
The Pilgrim

Post by normaM »

I can imagine Mayan teams threw a lot of games if that was the prize.
Only time I was interested in soccer was when Beckham was playing.
If there was a Loser contest you'd come in second
Leifer
Generalissimo Postalot

Post by Leifer »

It was the Afghans that played a polo-like game using severed heads as balls

Negative.
The Afghans play a polo-like game called Buzkashi.
They ride around and try to score with a goat carcass.....not a human head.
It is a rough sport....but rarely has any fatalities. :up:
Two essential strategies for success.

1) Never reveal all you know
2)
Catsumi
Buddha of the Board

Post by Catsumi »

Found it on google, so it must be right, right?? Right? :biggrin:

Unknown
The Green Barbarian
Insanely Prolific

Post by The Green Barbarian »

Leifer wrote:
Negative.
The Afghans play a polo-like game called Buzkashi.
They ride around and try to score with a goat carcass.....not a human head.
It is a rough sport....but rarely has any fatalities. :up:

If you read Ken Follett's book "Lie Down with Lions" he claims that Russian soldiers were used instead of goat carcasses during the Russian invasion in the 1980's, but hey it's just a book...
"The woke narcissists who make up the progressive left are characterized by an absolute lack of such conscience, but are experts at exploiting its presence in others." - Jordan Peterson
twobits
Guru

Post by twobits »

normaM wrote:I can imagine Mayan teams threw a lot of games if that was the prize.

Well I am not so sure when one considers what some in the world will do because of culture/religious beliefs. How does one wrap their head around blowing themselves up along with many others? Quite obviously they are brainwashed into believing they are martyr's and 70 virgins will be waiting for them.

seewood
Guru

Post by seewood »

Wonder why the politicians don't turn it around on FIFA and let them know what the event will cost in that jurisdiction and just ask them ( FIFA) to send a cheque and when it clears, we'll support and provide for the event....
Seems the lot at FIFA have this sense of importance and all should fold at the knees to lavish the self centred tossers with money..
Don't mind the decision although I love and have played the game from the early 60's. Knees are knackered now though.
I am not wealthy but I am rich
twobits
Guru

Post by twobits »

seewood wrote:Wonder why the politicians don't turn it around on FIFA and let them know what the event will cost in that jurisdiction and just ask them ( FIFA) to send a cheque and when it clears, we'll support and provide for the event....
Seems the lot at FIFA have this sense of importance and all should fold at the knees to lavish the self centred tossers with money..
Don't mind the decision although I love and have played the game from the early 60's. Knees are knackered now though.

I love that line of thought. It should include the Olympics as well. Guarantee a break even with the demands made to host the event and cut a cheque to make it so if it doesn't. Profit if made will be split on a proportion to be determined through negotiation.
IMO, these International sporting events are just leaches on every economy they can sell a story of benefit to while the only interest is self preservation of some elite society with overpaid and underworked snobs.
If memory serves me.....is the last Olyimpics that broke even (arguably) Vancouver?? Beijing lost huge. So did Sochi. Why do Countries keep bidding on this folly??

burnedatstake
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by burnedatstake »

*removed* back room business deals. really bad if a union is accused of doing such a thing. but business as usual and job creation savior if business does it. who cares if municipalities and governments lose money because they are suckered to pay for a private event. the taxpayers will pay for it. either with higher taxes which right wingers abhor. or austerity for the little people and higher fees or shhssh taxes. meanwhile money gets stashed in offshore accounts and doesnt even go into the greater economy. just to hand picked backroom deals with contractors. its a circle of life thing.
Last edited by ferri on Apr 2nd, 2018, 9:12 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Baiting
the capitalist idea of liberty is that one persons right to profit can be greater than another persons right to live.
ninetyninepct
Fledgling

Post by ninetyninepct »

FIFA makes the demands and the City and Province get all the costs and risks. Make FIFA do all the organizing and financing and take all the risks.

Return to “B.C.”