NDP shoot down FIFA games

oneh2obabe
feistres Goruchaf y Bwrdd

Re: NDP shoot down FIFA games

Post by oneh2obabe »

GordonH wrote:Look like that means 16 groups with 3 teams per group, so only top team would move on.
They still end up with 16 teams in the knockout stage, those games would be played in US.

The tournament will open with a group stage consisting of 16 groups of three teams, with the top two teams progressing from each group to a knockout tournament starting with a round of 32 teams. The number of games played overall will increase from 64 to 80, but the number of games played by finalists remains at seven, the same as with 32 teams, except that one group match will be replaced by a knockout match. The tournament will also be completed within 32 days, same as previous 32-team tournaments.
Dance as if no one's watching, sing as if no one's listening, and live everyday as if it were your last.

Life is not about waiting for the storm to pass. It's about learning to dance in the rain.
GordonH
Сварливий старий мерзотник

Post by GordonH »

GordonH wrote:Look like that means 16 groups with 3 teams per group, so only top team would move on.
They still end up with 16 teams in the knockout stage, those games would be played in US.

oneh2obabe wrote:The tournament will open with a group stage consisting of 16 groups of three teams, with the top two teams progressing from each group to a knockout tournament starting with a round of 32 teams. The number of games played overall will increase from 64 to 80, but the number of games played by finalists remains at seven, the same as with 32 teams, except that one group match will be replaced by a knockout match. The tournament will also be completed within 32 days, same as previous 32-team tournaments.

Does not change the fact that once the group stage is over, remain games will be in US.

Added: beside the fact that many of the 32 teams moving on to knockout stage, most likely should not have made it out of group stage.
I don't give a damn whether people/posters like me or dislike me, I'm not on earth to win any popularity contests.
oneh2obabe

Post by oneh2obabe »

Don't rule out Morocco - this is their 5th attempt at hosting the World Cup.

Morocco's bid has the support of much of Asia and South America as well as Africa, which would put it over the 104 votes needed to host 2026 FIFA World Cup.
Dance as if no one's watching, sing as if no one's listening, and live everyday as if it were your last.

Life is not about waiting for the storm to pass. It's about learning to dance in the rain.
GordonH

Post by GordonH »

oneh2obabe wrote:Don't rule out Morocco - this is their 5th attempt at hosting the World Cup.

Morocco's bid has the support of much of Asia and South America as well as Africa, which would put it over the 104 votes needed to host 2026 FIFA World Cup.

Hey if Morocco wants its, they can have. I have the sports channels that would broadcast, like I said I enjoy the game on the field (with the exception of the diving). I just believe FIFA to be a very corrupt organization.
I don't give a damn whether people/posters like me or dislike me, I'm not on earth to win any popularity contests.
oneh2obabe

Post by oneh2obabe »

Look at it this way - you get 2 shows for the price of 1 ... soccer and guessing who wins 1st place in the diving competition.

seewood
Guru

Post by seewood »

oneh2obabe wrote:soccer and guessing who wins 1st place in the diving competition.

#1 Portugal
#2 Spain
#3 Italy but they are not in this year so Argentina is #3
#4 France
I am not wealthy but I am rich
rustled
Admiral HMS Castanet

Post by rustled »

flamingfingers wrote:The government was wise to refuse the bid book which would require the government to essentially sign a bank cheque over to the corrupt FIFA organization. Providing venues, training facilities and policing costs (&etc) while FIFA sits on $1.3 BILLION dollars is not a good move to make.

And yet you have no problem with the same government essentially signing a blank cheque for their own defence in a defamation suit.

Hosting part of the FIFA would generate income for people other than their own staff and their own lawyers. I suspect the people paid in positions supporting the public sporting would contribute significantly more to our economy than the people being paid for the private lawsuit.

At the very least our one-time investment of resources in a public sporting event would be generating jobs that contribute to economic and social vibrancy, which I for one would much prefer over using our resources to save their own party from bankruptcy year after year or to defend themselves from a personal defamation suit.
There is nothing more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity. - Martin Luther King Jr.
the truth
Admiral HMS Castanet

Post by the truth »

GordonH wrote:BC loss equals some other areas gain, I'm a fan of the beautiful game.... just not the corrupt organization FIFA.

and corrupt it is
"The further a society drifts from truth the more it will hate those who speak it." -George Orwell
flamingfingers
Buddha of the Board

Post by flamingfingers »

Mike Smyth: B.C. is right to reject FIFA's sucker deal
Mike Smyth
Published:
March 14, 2018

Updated:
March 14, 2018 6:03 PM PDT

Columnist Mike Smyth writes about B.C. being dropped from Canada's 2026 World Cup bid.

Only an organization like FIFA would expect a provincial government to sign a contract that FIFA’s bosses could change later.

But that’s exactly what the corruption-plagued world governing body for soccer wanted British Columbia to do as the price for Vancouver hosting three (or less) World Cup games, says Tourism Minister Lisa Beare.

“It could have been three games — possibly fewer,” Beare told me Wednesday, shortly after B.C.’s bid to be part of the 2026 World Cup was rejected by the bid committee.

The stadium in question is B.C. Place, owned by the provincial government. Beare said the proposed deal would allow FIFA to demand changes to the agreement after the province had committed to paying for increased costs.

That exposed the province to a long list of unbudgeted liabilities, including the costs of a massive security commitment, parking requirements around the stadium and even changes to the stadium structure itself, including the installation of a natural grass field.

Read the rest and the comments here:

http://theprovince.com/news/bc-politics ... ucker-deal
Chill
Hurtlander
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Hurtlander »

rustled wrote:And yet you have no problem with the same government essentially signing a blank cheque for their own defence in a defamation suit.

However, I could point out that some people didn’t have a problem with the government paying the legal defence tab for a couple thugs found guilty in the great BC rail saga a few years back.
But I won’t point that out because it would be off topic, I’m not sure how I can insert that nugget into the conversation...
Póg Mo Thoin
No longer proud to be born in British Columbia.
Boda
Generalissimo Postalot

Post by Boda »

I'd love to see the World Cup in Vancouver. Personally I probably would have attended, but I think the decision to withdraw the bid to host is prudent. One of the better decisions made by this seemingly ill prepared government.
GordonH

Re: NDP shoot down FiFA games

Post by GordonH »

BC is not the only one pulling out, Chicago & Minneapolis have also pulled out.
rustled
Admiral HMS Castanet

Post by rustled »

Hurtlander wrote:
rustled wrote:And yet you have no problem with the same government essentially signing a blank cheque for their own defence in a defamation suit.

However, I could point out that some people didn’t have a problem with the government paying the legal defence tab for a couple thugs found guilty in the great BC rail saga a few years back.
But I won’t point that out because it would be off topic, I’m not sure how I can insert that nugget into the conversation...

You could, but why bother? There's a clear reason only one of these courses of action is on topic.

What makes this on topic is that the NDP and their supporters are pointing to "protecting the taxpayer from the perils of a blank cheque" to defend against refusing a public sporting event with potential advantages for the public, while simultaneously refusing to protect the taxpayer from the perils of a blank cheque for their own personal purposes.

It's disappointing, but not surprising, that instead of acknowledging the incongruity the NDP is displaying in using this reasoning to turn down a public sporting event while simultaneously expecting us to ignore them doing it for their own personal benefit, posters will ignore or deflect to "yeah, but the Liberals..."
There is nothing more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity. - Martin Luther King Jr.
FreeRights
Guru

Post by FreeRights »

It's challenging as I'm a massive soccer fan and would have absolutely gone to some games (still might if games are played in the US). But what is true is how FIFA does business. Having done lots of research into it, there are a lot of items that you have to essentially pay for and guarantee, but FIFA reserves the right to make any amount of changes at your expense.

They have a lot of policy on their website that you can read that goes into decent depth.

All that and granted, it would still be a boost for Vancouver, but it wouldn't benefit the rest of the province.
Come quickly Jesus, we're barely holding on.
FreeRights
Guru

Post by FreeRights »

rustled wrote:You could, but why bother? There's a clear reason only one of these courses of action is on topic.

What makes this on topic is that the NDP and their supporters are pointing to "protecting the taxpayer from the perils of a blank cheque" to defend against refusing a public sporting event with potential advantages for the public, while simultaneously refusing to protect the taxpayer from the perils of a blank cheque for their own personal purposes.

It's disappointing, but not surprising, that instead of acknowledging the incongruity the NDP is displaying in using this reasoning to turn down a public sporting event while simultaneously expecting us to ignore them doing it for their own personal benefit, posters will ignore or deflect to "yeah, but the Liberals..."

I'm sure that if you were more familiar with how hosting FIFA events operate, your next breath would be criticising the NDP for doing business with a corrupt FIFA. For detractors, the NDP would find themselves criticised despite which direction they took.
Come quickly Jesus, we're barely holding on.

Return to “B.C.”