rivière à trois

Glacier
The Pilgrim

rivière à trois

Post by Glacier »

There is a somewhat erotic phenomenon you find in a few places in BC where you driving in one major river drainage basin, and then you enter second major drainage basin, but then you blink, and suddenly you're in a third drainage basin. Here are the most geographically exciting examples.

1) Highway 6 driving east past Cherryville toward Needles. You're in the Shuswap/South Thompson Drainage. You go over Monashee Pass, and you're in the Kettle River valley, then within a few minutes, you go over a second mountain pass, and you're in the Columbia system.

MonasheePass.jpg

2) Highway 5 heading north toward Valemount, Jasper, or Edmonton. You're heading up the North Thompson past Blue River. Then suddenly you're heading along Canoe Creek which feeds the Columbia River. Then you blink, and you're in the headwaters of the Fraser River.

NorthThompsonFraserColumbia.jpg

3) The Coquihalla is closed yet again, so you take highway 3 home for the Coast. You're mad about taking the long way so you drive 150km/h up highway 3 past Hope in the Fraser drainage. Then suddenly you're in Yankee drainage flying along through the Skagit Valley. Since you're anti-American, you drive even faster in a fit of rage, and before you have time to blink, you're in Similkameen territory, and you can relax again.

Skagit.jpg
"No one has the right to apologize for something they did not do, and no one has the right to accept an apology if the wrong was not done to them."
- Douglas Murray
dirtybiker
Walks on Forum Water

Re: rivière à trois

Post by dirtybiker »

Thanks, hopefully I can remember all of this so on road trips with others I can expound
my vast knowledge of such things with pin-point accuracy and timeline.

:up:
"Don't 'p' down my neck then tell me it's raining!"
Hurtlander
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Hurtlander »

This is only two river drainage basins, but I’ve always liked the country around Canal Flats where the Columbia River and Kootenay River are less than one kilometre apart on flat land, each flowing in opposite directions.
Póg Mo Thoin
No longer proud to be born in British Columbia.
George+
Walks on Forum Water

Post by George+ »

And where there once was a canal connector.

Or at least a start on one.
Omnitheo
Guru

Post by Omnitheo »

Glacier wrote:There is a somewhat erotic phenomenon you find in a few places in BC where you driving in one major river drainage basin, and then you enter second major drainage basin, but then you blink, and suddenly you're in a third drainage basin. Here are the most geographically exciting examples.

I’m so turned on right now. Geography really gets my motor running.
"Dishwashers, the dishwasher, right? You press it. Remember the dishwasher, you press it, there'd be like an explosion. Five minutes later you open it up the steam pours out, the dishes -- now you press it 12 times, women tell me again." - Trump
twobits
Guru

Post by twobits »

Must confess that I was hoping it was a typo of exotic vs erotic.
Do not argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.

The problem with the gene pool is that there is no lifeguard.
Glacier
The Pilgrim

Post by Glacier »

twobits wrote:Must confess that I was hoping it was a typo of exotic vs erotic.

No typo. It's a three-some between rivers.
"No one has the right to apologize for something they did not do, and no one has the right to accept an apology if the wrong was not done to them."
- Douglas Murray
Catsumi
Buddha of the Board

Post by Catsumi »

I now must avert my innocent eyes. :200:
Sufficiently advanced incompetence is indistinguishable from malice. There’s a certain point at which ignorance becomes malice, at which there is simply no way to become THAT ignorant except deliberately and maliciously.

Unknown

Return to “B.C.”