NDP sneak in a PST hike when you weren't looking

NotNorthAnymore
Generalissimo Postalot

Re: NDP sneak in a PST hike when you weren't looking

Post by NotNorthAnymore »

CapitalB wrote:Yet another tax hike I'll either never have to pay or if I do I won't notice. Nice whinging point though.

So I take it you don't live in BC?
And if you do - you have not read thru the PST Bulletin.
Yes it will cost you money regardless of what you buy inside of the province.
"THEY" are watching you! -- "THEY" know who you are! -- "THEY" know where you are!
Always use heavy duty BBQ tinfoil under your Black Hat - That way "THEY" can't read your 'mind'.
Gone_Fishin
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Gone_Fishin »

CapitalB wrote:Yet another tax hike I'll either never have to pay or if I do I won't notice. Nice whinging point though.

I guess you don't buy one single item that has been delivered. I'd say you're likely the only person in BC who has this unique situation. Every other consumer in BC will have to pay considerably more though, and it will affect poor people much more than others, as proportionately to their incomes, an increase in consumer goods' costs hits their pocket books harder.

One of the biggest increases will hit the cost of new construction, as the majority of building supplies are delivered by the retailer (Rona, HH, etc) to the construction sites. Horgan talks up a storm about making housing more affordable, then jacks up the cost of construction significantly with this new tax, putting housing further out of reach for BC families. Shameful, and stupid too!
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

A smaller government makes room for bigger citizens.

"We know that Russia must win this war." ~ Justin Trudeau, Feb 26, 2024.
Urban Cowboy
Guru

Post by Urban Cowboy »

Or perhaps you should be paying closer attention, given that most will notice. If you won the lottery and cost is insignificant then good for you, unfortunately for everyone else it is an issue, not to mention a hypocritical one. The bonehead NDP loser government keeps talking about affordable housing, then turns around and keeps piling idiotic decisions, one on top of the other, each of which will make housing more costly and unattainable for many.

They're giving a dollar with the left hand, and robbing you of two with the right. Sounds like a real plan to help those struggling already. :cuss:

The turds are simply playing a shell game, and in the end, all they care about is that their party gets funded by us, and that they can add as many members to the public sector payroll as possible.
“Not All Those Who Wander Are Lost" - Tolkien
NotNorthAnymore
Generalissimo Postalot

On my Fortis Gas bill there is a separate line for "Delivery Charge" fee.
Does this new NDP tax now mean there is PST charged on the "Delivery Charge"???

Will you notice that one CapitalB?
Just wondering?
"THEY" are watching you! -- "THEY" know who you are! -- "THEY" know where you are!
Always use heavy duty BBQ tinfoil under your Black Hat - That way "THEY" can't read your 'mind'.
bob57

Post by bob57 »

The only way to beat the Tax game before any politician regulates it is to buy underground. Off the grid. Buy used and downsize our expectations. Negotiate the purchase on what ever one buys whether it be boat,clothes, cars,or what ever. Stop paying the taxes because the politicians will always find ways to create new ones. There will never be enough money to pay for the cancellation of things like Port Mann Bridge tolls, MSP, BC Ferry rates etc. Somebody has to pay for the promises.
Urban Cowboy
Guru

Post by Urban Cowboy »

bob57 wrote:The only way to beat the Tax game before any politician regulates it is to buy underground. Off the grid. Buy used and downsize our expectations. Negotiate the purchase on what ever one buys whether it be boat,clothes, cars,or what ever. Stop paying the taxes because the politicians will always find ways to create new ones. There will never be enough money to pay for the cancellation of things like Port Mann Bridge tolls, MSP, BC Ferry rates etc. Somebody has to pay for the promises.

The problem is many items can't be purchased "underground" as you put it, because the government will nail you when you go to register the item as in cars, trucks, etc. That's exactly how they are getting away with extorting tax, each and every time a vehicle gets sold, be it ten times, they'll happily tax it ten times.

Give it enough time, and they'll have under cover enforcement troops checking on garage sales too.

I've never had an issue paying tax on something I purchase, as I understand that's fair and necessary, given government needs money to look after us, but dipping into the same cookie jar over and over again, as happens when used merchandise is taxed, just strikes me as wrong on every level.

I need to ask my boss if he'll cut me a second and third paycheck for the same period worked, because I have a good reason for needing the money. Care to guess how far I'd get? [icon_lol2.gif]
alanjh595
Banned

Post by alanjh595 »

So what about all these grocery stores offering delivery to those that get out? There is a delivery charge for that service and today there is no taxes charged for that service. Tomorrow, though, the cost of having groceries delivered to those that can't drive, like the elderly, sick, or recovering from surgery, will now have to pay 7% more to get their food.
Bring back the LIKE button.
notme

Post by notme »

Construction costs wont go up 7%, delivered groceries aren't going up 7% either.
The increase is 7% to the delivery charge only, so it will be minimal, a fraction of a percent of the overall bill.
Not saying it isn't an obvious cash grab by comrade Horgan, but its not nearly as extreme as some are making it out to be.
alanjh595
Banned

Post by alanjh595 »

notme wrote:Construction costs wont go up 7%, delivered groceries aren't going up 7% either.
The increase is 7% to the delivery charge only, so it will be minimal, a fraction of a percent of the overall bill.
Not saying it isn't an obvious cash grab by comrade Horgan, but its not nearly as extreme as some are making it out to be.

The DELIVERY costs of the materials for construction materials will go up by 7%. The DELIVERY costs for groceries will be going up by 7%.
Since both are charged as "a service", they will be charged separately and subjected under the new tax. In the instance of the building materials, the delivery may be included free with the purchase of the materials. In that case, the delivery will be built into the cost of the materials and be subjected to all of the taxes for both the materials and the delivery costs.
After all, when does a lumber yard have trucks, drivers, fuel to deliver the goods to your home for free? The costs will just get buried into the cost of the materials and the purchaser will have to pay it, whether he knows it or not.
This new tax also includes delivery of replacement for damaged materials/products. For example, you buy something on-line, it arrives damaged, you complain and the vender offers a free replacement or parts for repair. The delivery charge will be subjected to the new tax.
Urban Cowboy
Guru

Post by Urban Cowboy »

notme wrote:Construction costs wont go up 7%, delivered groceries aren't going up 7% either.

You are correct of course, however the concern is the NDP's course here, is to nickel and dime business to death, and all those hits when added together make for a bleak outlook.

The looming wage increase, employers paying MSP, and now another tax, all translate into consumer goods and services going up. This is after a long song and dance of how the lower income people need help, yet every move the NDP make seems to guarantee they struggle more.

Let's not forget that all these changes that are proposed, will compel some business to shut their doors, as their owners are simply fed up, and that translates into job losses.

This party made the very same mistakes in trashing BC's economy in the 90's, and it would appear they are hell bent on performing a repeat. The best indicator of how we are faring is how much disposable income we have left, after addressing all our obligations, and under NDP rule it was less than under Liberal governance. We're on the same bus now headed to the same destination.
NotNorthAnymore
Generalissimo Postalot

^^^^
Well and properly said Urban Cowboy.
You hit the nail directly on the head.
The NDP will nickle and dime us all to bankruptcy.
alanjh595
Banned

Post by alanjh595 »

The NDP is killing us by the method of a thousand cuts.

What does 'Death of a thousand cuts' mean?
If something is suffering the death of a thousand cuts, or death by a thousand cuts, lots of small bad things are happening, none of which are fatal in themselves, but which add up to a slow and painful demise.

https://www.usingenglish.com/reference/ ... +cuts.html

One little cut at a time, the NDP will cause our death.
BGrigg07

Post by BGrigg07 »

The HST was a poor deal for BC, as all the money was going to be channeled through Ottawa first. At least we're the "masters of our own domain" and the next Liberal government can get voted in repealing the increase.

Here's another tax hike hidden from the public eye. Starting last March, employee benefits will now be taxed as income by the Feds. So the working poor who gets a deal on clothing or tires will now be charge income tax on the difference between their discounted price and retail. This is because it's "unfair" for non-employees who don't get the chance for the discount. Thanks Justin! :cuss: :cuss:
flamingfingers
Buddha of the Board

Post by flamingfingers »

Gone Fishing wrote:

One of the biggest increases will hit the cost of new construction, as the majority of building supplies are delivered by the retailer (Rona, HH, etc) to the construction sites. Horgan talks up a storm about making housing more affordable, then jacks up the cost of construction significantly with this new tax, putting housing further out of reach for BC families. Shameful, and stupid too!

Nope:

Goods purchased for resale are exempt.
Chill
Because_They_Lie
Banned

Post by Because_They_Lie »

This increase seems to be across the board.

Cigarettes have just increased in cost, at the end of March 2018 the cost was $104.00 per carton - as of first week of April a carton costs $114.00

A nine dollar increase in less than 10 days.

I have learned that the NDP government seek to increase the tax on cigarettes from current price of approx. $10 a package up to 17$ a package within the next 5 years.

Return to “B.C.”