Alberta to buy pipeline?

fluffy
Admiral HMS Castanet

Re: Alberta to buy pipeline?

Post by fluffy »

Cactusflower wrote:And please, no more arguments about double hulled vessels. Spills have occurred from them as well.

http://theprovince.com/news/bc-politics/mike-smyth-what-are-the-odds-of-an-oil-spill-depends-who-does-the-math

the company calculates the risk of a tanker spill “of any size” is one in every 237 years — well beyond the lifespan of the pipeline project.

The company also calculated the risk of a “worst-case spill” which it defined as “the loss of the entire contents of two cargo oil tanks to the sea.”

The chance of this catastrophic event? “If all the risk-reducing measures are implemented, the frequency will be one in every 2,366 years,” the company’s report said.

Well, I'm no expert in statistical probabilities, but if has already happened doesn't that give us a couple of centuries until the next one? :)
“We’ll go down in history as the first society that wouldn't save itself because it wasn't cost effective.” – Kurt Vonnegut
The Green Barbarian
Insanely Prolific

Post by The Green Barbarian »

Drip_Torch wrote:
Oh how soon they forget... this year, middle of freaking nowhere, ]

what is the point of this brainless fear-mongering? What's next - are you going to show the Humboldt bus crash and start protesting bus companies? I don't get this, it's just so freaking stupid.
"The woke narcissists who make up the progressive left are characterized by an absolute lack of such conscience, but are experts at exploiting its presence in others." - Jordan Peterson
fluffy
Admiral HMS Castanet

Post by fluffy »

I heard there was yet another needless bird killing at the hands of BC Hydro. Enough of this electricity.

https://www.castanet.net/news/Kelowna/223749/Bird-caused-sky-to-light-up
“We’ll go down in history as the first society that wouldn't save itself because it wasn't cost effective.” – Kurt Vonnegut
Drip_Torch
Guru

Post by Drip_Torch »

The Green Barbarian wrote:what is the point of this brainless fear-mongering? What's next - are you going to show the Humboldt bus crash and start protesting bus companies? I don't get this, it's just so freaking stupid.

I'm often tempted to ask, what is the point to the brainless cheerleading? Your ilk has been using the same playbook on these projects for years. Divisive dialogue, inflammatory dismissals of dissent, and rabid nationalism, to try and drive these projects through. How’s it all working out for you?

Energy east died when it couldn’t get enough subscriptions and you blame the enviro’s. Northern Gateway died in the courts to a first nation’s legal challenge and you blame the enviro’s. Damn you’re a funny bunch… just keep doing what you’ve always done until you get the different result.

I’m either with you, or I’m an uncanadian, eco terrorist, plastic kayak riding, braless, greenie with unshaven armpits. ( – okay, I’ll admit to the braless and unshaven arm pits but still…)

Isn’t it time to update the playbook, or are you just happy to saddle Canada with your growing list of economic failures for the benefit of the political wins?

(fear mongering - good grief)
Drip Torch - an upright and steadfast keeper of the flame, but when tilted sideways the contents spill and then our destiny is in the wind...
The Green Barbarian
Insanely Prolific

*removed*
Last edited by ferri on Apr 15th, 2018, 3:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Try again without the personal attack.
"The woke narcissists who make up the progressive left are characterized by an absolute lack of such conscience, but are experts at exploiting its presence in others." - Jordan Peterson
Carrs Landing Viking
Übergod

Post by Carrs Landing Viking »

Fancy wrote:The Sanchi was indeed a double-hulled tanker.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sanchi_oi ... _collision

This tanker was filled with natural gas condensate, not oil. And not in BC waters, witch is the topic of discussion.
Drip_Torch
Guru

Post by Drip_Torch »

*removed*
Reason: Response to removed post.
Drip Torch - an upright and steadfast keeper of the flame, but when tilted sideways the contents spill and then our destiny is in the wind...
Smurf
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Smurf »

Catusflower wrote:

Yes, I've heard many similar silly speeches from our intrepid PM , and in this one he completely ignores the tens of thousands of jobs which will be lost in B.C. is a spill occurs in Burrard Inlet, the Salish Sea, or Juan de Fuca Strait. Those temporay pipeline construction jobs don't amount to peanuts compared to the tourism and other industry jobs that will be lost.

The fact is, Snman, I'm not prepared to watch my tax dollars going to pay for a pipeline/tanker project that has little benefit but a ton of risk to my province. I'm also opposed to paying billons of B.C. taxpayers' dollars for 25+ years of failed clean-up costs, such as what happened after the Exxon Valdez disaster.

And please, no more arguments about double hulled vessels. Spills have occurred from them as well.

BTW, thanks for the links, Drip_Torch.

I think it is rather fitting that you and your fellow protesters will very likely have your tax dollars used to complete the pipeline. What irritates me is that you are also costing the rest of Canadians, many times more who wanted it completed in the first place to pay also. Ridiculous that such a small group can cost so many to loose their tax dollars which could have gone to so many better projects like health or education. Hope you are happy. Please loose lots of sleep over this foolish decision. Remember your foolishness every time you pay taxes!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Consider how hard it is to change yourself and you'll understand what little chance you have of changing others.

The happiest of people don't necessarily have the best of everything, they just make the most of everything that comes their way.
The Green Barbarian
Insanely Prolific

*removed*
Reason: Response to removed post.
The Green Barbarian
Insanely Prolific

Smurf wrote: Remember your foolishness every time you pay taxes!!!!!!!!!!!!!

that's a good point Smurf. I wonder if the Tides Foundation is adhering to Canadian tax laws and source deducting when they send out their payments to their digital influencer network. We probably should alert the CRA.
Jack DeBear
Board Meister

Post by Jack DeBear »

Cactusflower, I believe this could be your direct reference to double-hulled tanker spills:

Double-hulled oil tankers do not ensure protection against spills

<snip>

Oil spills have resulted from double-hull tanker accidents. Examples include:

On May 25, 2010 the Malaysian-registered Bunga Kelana 3 collided with a bulk carrier in the Strait of Singapore. A ten meter gash was torn on the port (left) side of the ship, which then spilled an estimated 2,500 tonnes (2.9 million litres) of crude oil into the sea.

On January 23, 2010 the Eagle Otome, bound for Exxon Mobil Corporation’s refinery in Beaumont, Texas, collided with an outbound vessel towing two barges. The towing vessel tore open the side of the tanker, and an estimated 450,000 gallons (approximately 11,000 barrels or 1.7 million litres) of crude oil was spilled.

<snip>

http://www.livingoceans.org/media/relea ... nst-spills

And here, have fun with this:

Premier Notley speaks after meeting PM Trudeau & Premier Horgan re Trans Mountain Pipeline

“(10:00) . . . the Premier of BC talked about Bella Bella. Well that was not an oil tanker, that was not a double-hulled oil tanker, to be clear, which (the Westridge Marine Terminal) has actually never had an accident since 1956 when they first started shipping . . . that was just a more generalized commercial style vessel if I’m not incorrect. . . .”

Cactusflower
Banned

Post by Cactusflower »

Jack DeBear wrote:Cactusflower, I believe this could be your direct reference to double-hulled tanker spills:

Double-hulled oil tankers do not ensure protection against spills

<snip>

Oil spills have resulted from double-hull tanker accidents. Examples include:

On May 25, 2010 the Malaysian-registered Bunga Kelana 3 collided with a bulk carrier in the Strait of Singapore. A ten meter gash was torn on the port (left) side of the ship, which then spilled an estimated 2,500 tonnes (2.9 million litres) of crude oil into the sea.

On January 23, 2010 the Eagle Otome, bound for Exxon Mobil Corporation’s refinery in Beaumont, Texas, collided with an outbound vessel towing two barges. The towing vessel tore open the side of the tanker, and an estimated 450,000 gallons (approximately 11,000 barrels or 1.7 million litres) of crude oil was spilled.

<snip>

http://www.livingoceans.org/media/relea ... nst-spills

And here, have fun with this:

Premier Notley speaks after meeting PM Trudeau & Premier Horgan re Trans Mountain Pipeline

“(10:00) . . . the Premier of BC talked about Bella Bella. Well that was not an oil tanker, that was not a double-hulled oil tanker, to be clear, which (the Westridge Marine Terminal) has actually never had an accident since 1956 when they first started shipping . . . that was just a more generalized commercial style vessel if I’m not incorrect. . . .”

Yes, that was the link I posted, and yes, I still get a kick out of Ms.Notley's arguments. I don't know whether she's imitating the usual suspects on these Castanet forums, or if they are imitating her. Either way, it's pretty funny.
alanjh595
Banned

Post by alanjh595 »

Cactusflower wrote:Yes, that was the link I posted, and yes, I still get a kick out of Ms.Notley's arguments. I don't know whether she's imitating the usual suspects on these Castanet forums, or if they are imitating her. Either way, it's pretty funny.

For those that might be "intimidated" by Ms. Notley's actions.......GOOD for you.
You are showing a minuscule amount of ability of comprehension that is required to be a part of the general population.
Now that you have further evidence that your comments and thoughts are on the right track with the preponderance of all others that have fully functionally, cranial contents, maybe the mind can be opened enough to accept math. and scientific evidence provided by REAL scientists and begin to question the blogs of those that have nothing to offer but propaganda to garner support for $$$$$.
I applaud GB, HG, and a few others for showing such great restraint in your postings.
Bring back the LIKE button.
Drip_Torch
Guru

Post by Drip_Torch »

Clearly, Ms. Notley’s intention is not to intimidate the public, or compel persons or a government, from doing or not doing any act, through the interference or disruption of services, facilities or systems.

Cause, that'd get dealt with in short order.
normaM
The Pilgrim

Post by normaM »

lol, when banned people clapping I figure I am in the right lane :)
Next up, Anti PL people can mock the fat old men who spend days ranting on the Net because " By God I am right"
Always good to have a hobby tho
Off to find a hammer
If there was a Loser contest you'd come in second

Return to “B.C.”