Alberta to buy pipeline?

Drip_Torch
Guru

Re: Alberta to buy pipeline?

Post by Drip_Torch »

Snman wrote:BTW, still awaiting the coercion link, Cactusflower.

Here, try these...

64.7 million dollars to a 13 member monitoring committee?

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/british-c ... -1.4219236

http://vancouversun.com/news/local-news ... chief-says
Drip Torch - an upright and steadfast keeper of the flame, but when tilted sideways the contents spill and then our destiny is in the wind...
Cactusflower
Banned

Post by Cactusflower »

Snman wrote:Here's how so....

Justin Trudeau‏Verified account @JustinTrudeau · 1h1 hour ago

We will always stand up for workers in the oil patch in Alberta, as we do for people in every province & territory, whether they work in forestry, aerospace, steel mills or auto plants.

The TMX pipeline project will be built, because it’s of vital strategic interest to Canada. It’s vital for the hundreds of thousands of people whose jobs depend on our energy sector, and for the health of our economy as a whole.

That’s why today I told Premiers Notley and Horgan that the federal government will use its authority to resolve this impasse: We’re in financial discussions with Kinder Morgan to remove uncertainty from the TMX project, and are pursuing legislative options as well.

Canadians in every part of our country, in every sector - in Alberta, BC or anywhere else – work hard to put food on the table. Our government will fight for their families and futures

Yes, I've heard many similar silly speeches from our intrepid PM , and in this one he completely ignores the tens of thousands of jobs which will be lost in B.C. is a spill occurs in Burrard Inlet, the Salish Sea, or Juan de Fuca Strait. Those temporay pipeline construction jobs don't amount to peanuts compared to the tourism and other industry jobs that will be lost.

The fact is, Snman, I'm not prepared to watch my tax dollars going to pay for a pipeline/tanker project that has little benefit but a ton of risk to my province. I'm also opposed to paying billons of B.C. taxpayers' dollars for 25+ years of failed clean-up costs, such as what happened after the Exxon Valdez disaster.

And please, no more arguments about double hulled vessels. Spills have occurred from them as well.

BTW, thanks for the links, Drip_Torch.
Carrs Landing Viking
Übergod

Post by Carrs Landing Viking »

Drip_Torch wrote:

Here, try these...

Your links have nothing to do with coercion.
Snman
Übergod

Post by Snman »

Drip_Torch wrote:

Here, try these...

Thanx Drip_Torch. Those links, however, make no indication that First Nations were coerced into anything. I hope you aren't suggesting that the fact that they stand to benefit via jobs, training, and dollars that this somehow amounts to coercion. Futher, are you suggesting that those 13 individuals will split 64.7 million?
I know nothing except the fact of my ignorance - Socrates
Fancy
Insanely Prolific

Post by Fancy »

Cactusflower wrote:I'm not going to bother providing again that link to how many double-hulled tankers have been responsible for spills.
Can't find one - please repost.
Truths can be backed up by facts - do you have any?
Fancy this, Fancy that and by the way, T*t for Tat
Cactusflower
Banned

Post by Cactusflower »

Carrs Landing Viking wrote:
Cactusflower wrote:I'm not going to bother providing again that link to how many double-hulled tankers have been responsible for spills. It's very easy to find on Google, anyway.

Trudeau and Notley are going to have to come to some kind of compromise with B.C. if they want to get their pipeline built. They will, at the very least, if worse comes to worst, sign an agreement that in the event of a spill, the Alberta government, not the Canadian government, will pay out of pocket for the many years of failed attempts at clean-up. Kinder Morgan has already stated that they won't be responsible for any spills that happen after the sludge is loaded onto the tankers, and British Columbians are adamant that they're not going to be stuck with the bill. Since it's Alberta's baby, they can take all responsibility for any spill in our coastal waters. No responsibility; no pipeline.

https://www.tc.gc.ca/eng/mediaroom/info ... -7677.html

There have been no double -hulled oil tanker spills to date.

After what I heard from the leader of the Liberals today, I'm not surprised to read that. I prefer to believe other sources:
http://www.livingoceans.org/media/relea ... nst-spills
Snman
Übergod

Post by Snman »

*removed*
Last edited by ferri on Apr 15th, 2018, 2:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Try again without the personal attack.
Drip_Torch
Guru

Post by Drip_Torch »

Snman wrote:
Drip_Torch wrote:
Here, try these...

Thanx Drip_Torch. Those links, however, make no indication that First Nations were coerced into anything. I hope you aren't suggesting that the fact that they stand to benefit via jobs, training, and dollars that this somehow amounts to coercion. Futher, are you suggesting that those 13 individuals will split 64.7 million?

I didn't suggest anything.

These 13 members have 64.7 million dollars of federal gov't funding to monitor pipeline construction. 43 First Nations have mutual benefit agreements with Trans Mountain — reportedly worth more than $300 million. It's all really clear.

The pipeline runs through 14 reserves held for the benefit of 18 First Nations. There are 7 First Nations with legal challenges.

Just the facts Snman, just the facts...
Drip Torch - an upright and steadfast keeper of the flame, but when tilted sideways the contents spill and then our destiny is in the wind...
Fancy
Insanely Prolific

Post by Fancy »

Carrs Landing Viking wrote:There have been no double -hulled oil tanker spills to date.

To be fair - appears to have been two so far from reading Cactusflower's link (Bunga Kelana 3 for one).
The Green Barbarian
Insanely Prolific

Post by The Green Barbarian »

Cactusflower wrote:
And please, no more arguments about double hulled vessels. Spills have occurred from them as well.

then how about you stop stupidly bringing up the Exxon Valdez!?? Totally irrelevant fear-mongering garbage. Lunatic behavior.
"The woke narcissists who make up the progressive left are characterized by an absolute lack of such conscience, but are experts at exploiting its presence in others." - Jordan Peterson
Snman
Übergod

Post by Snman »

Drip_Torch wrote:
I didn't suggest anything.

These 13 members have 64.7 million dollars of federal gov't funding to monitor pipeline construction. 43 First Nations have mutual benefit agreements with Trans Mountain — reportedly worth more than $300 million. It's all really clear.

The pipeline runs through 14 reserves held for the benefit of 18 First Nations. There are 7 First Nations with legal challenges.

Just the facts Snman, just the facts...

Sorry Drip_Torch, those appear to be facts. Thought your links were an effort to support the coercion theory put forth by another poster. My bad.
Drip_Torch
Guru

Post by Drip_Torch »

Fancy wrote:
Carrs Landing Viking wrote:There have been no double -hulled oil tanker spills to date.

To be fair - appears to have been two so far from reading Cactusflower's link (Bunga Kelana 3 for one).

Oh how soon they forget... this year, middle of freaking nowhere, with nothing but wide open ocean around them, and a grain ship from, get this, Washington State, nails a suezmax crude tanker filled with condensates.

0_Iranian-oil-tanker-fire.jpg
Snman
Übergod

Post by Snman »

^^^ Where's a skilled navigator when ya need one? ^^^
Fancy
Insanely Prolific

Post by Fancy »

The Sanchi was indeed a double-hulled tanker.
Cactusflower
Banned

Post by Cactusflower »

*removed*
Last edited by ferri on Apr 15th, 2018, 2:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Off Topic

Return to “B.C.”