Farmland affected by pipeline in Grand Forks

Puffie40

Farmland affected by pipeline in Grand Forks

Post by Puffie40 »

https://www.castanet.net/news/Penticton/223355/Pipeline-wrecks-farmland

I can probably explain this as my parent's farm in the East Kootenays has a TransCanada Natural Gas pipeline running through it. The compressed gas is usually warmer than the ambient, and it affects the surrounding ground. It's not unusual for us in the early spring to see the snow melted away from where the pipes are buried.

My guess as to why the Alfalfa in Grand Forks is being affected is the pipeline is keeping the ground thawed out and letting the plants get hit with frost. Hay farmers tend to cut their grass quite low to the ground to get as much as possible, and that makes it hard for the plant to overwinter.

Another possibilityility is the soil composition was affected by the installation of the pipeline, as alfalfa is a sensitive and picky plant, so it does not like poor soil conditions.

Our farm borders on a Fortis exchange and we do find them rather uncommunicative when it comes to issues. Whereas TransCanada is quite open and visits us at least seasonally to inform us of upcoming operations, we barely got an acknowledgement from Fortis when we complained to them about their contractors going too far and cutting down brush on our property.
Cactusflower
Banned

Re: Farmland affected by pipeline in Grand Forks

Post by Cactusflower »

Puffie40 wrote:https://www.castanet.net/news/Penticton/223355/Pipeline-wrecks-farmland

I can probably explain this as my parent's farm in the East Kootenays has a TransCanada Natural Gas pipeline running through it. The compressed gas is usually warmer than the ambient, and it affects the surrounding ground. It's not unusual for us in the early spring to see the snow melted away from where the pipes are buried.

My guess as to why the Alfalfa in Grand Forks is being affected is the pipeline is keeping the ground thawed out and letting the plants get hit with frost. Hay farmers tend to cut their grass quite low to the ground to get as much as possible, and that makes it hard for the plant to overwinter.

Another possibilityility is the soil composition was affected by the installation of the pipeline, as alfalfa is a sensitive and picky plant, so it does not like poor soil conditions.

Our farm borders on a Fortis exchange and we do find them rather uncommunicative when it comes to issues. Whereas TransCanada is quite open and visits us at least seasonally to inform us of upcoming operations, we barely got an acknowledgement from Fortis when we complained to them about their contractors going too far and cutting down brush on our property.

It would be interesting to hear from farmers who have the existing Trans Mountain pipeline running through their property. Are any of these farmers reading this and would they care to comment?
Smurf
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Smurf »

I can't answer for the Trans Mountain pipeline but I do know we had an oil pipeline running across 2 miles of our farm in Saskatchewan and other than when it was put in the ground it made no difference. I know dad was paid when it was installed but have no idea how much, not my business, but I know he was happy. It has never been a problem for us or our neighbours over 50 or so years and not near as invasive as hydro and phone lines.
Consider how hard it is to change yourself and you'll understand what little chance you have of changing others.

The happiest of people don't necessarily have the best of everything, they just make the most of everything that comes their way.
Cactusflower
Banned

Post by Cactusflower »

Smurf wrote:I can't answer for the Trans Mountain pipeline but I do know we had an oil pipeline running across 2 miles of our farm in Saskatchewan and other than when it was put in the ground it made no difference. I know dad was paid when it was installed but have no idea how much, not my business, but I know he was happy. It has never been a problem for us or our neighbours over 50 or so years and not near as invasive as hydro and phone lines.

But over 50 years ago they weren't pushing dilbit through their pipes either.
Hurtlander
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Hurtlander »

Puffie40 wrote:https://www.castanet.net/news/Penticton/223355/Pipeline-wrecks-farmland

I can’t see how the ground not freezing above the pipeline should have a negative effect on your alfalfa crops, they grow alfalfa in Texas where the ground never freezes.
Póg Mo Thoin
No longer proud to be born in British Columbia.
Hurtlander
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Hurtlander »

Cactusflower wrote:
Smurf wrote:I can't answer for the Trans Mountain pipeline but I do know we had an oil pipeline running across 2 miles of our farm in Saskatchewan and other than when it was put in the ground it made no difference. I know dad was paid when it was installed but have no idea how much, not my business, but I know he was happy. It has never been a problem for us or our neighbours over 50 or so years and not near as invasive as hydro and phone lines.

Do you think the crops know what flowing through the pipe ?
Póg Mo Thoin
mikest2
Lord of the Board

Post by mikest2 »

Cactusflower wrote:

Please explain why diluted bitumen would be any different ? Do try your best
Once I thought I was wrong.....but I was mistaken...
GordonH
Сварливий старий мерзотник

Post by GordonH »

Only suggestion I have would be, have the ph levels checked along pipeline as well elsewhere in the effected field.
If the numbers are different may need a different fertilizer along pipeline.
I don't give a damn whether people/posters like me or dislike me, I'm not on earth to win any popularity contests.
Hurtlander
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Hurtlander »

Cactusflower wrote:

If you go on google earth and follow the Transmountain pipeline from Edmonton to the BC coast you’ll see that the pipeline is buried under literally hundreds of hayfields or fields growing food crops for humans..Not a single solitary farmer has ever had a complaint about crop damage due to the pipeline anytime during the last 62 years, and bitumen has been flowing through that pipeline on a regular basis for at least the last 10 years..
Póg Mo Thoin
Drip_Torch
Guru

Post by Drip_Torch »

Hurtlander wrote:bitumen has been flowing through that pipeline on a regular basis for at least the last 10 years..

Do you have a reference for that? My personal understanding is that dilbit has been flowing since 2014, but I'm certainly open to considering new information.
Drip Torch - an upright and steadfast keeper of the flame, but when tilted sideways the contents spill and then our destiny is in the wind...
Puffie40

Post by Puffie40 »

Hurtlander wrote:I can’t see how the ground not freezing above the pipeline should have a negative effect on your alfalfa crops, they grow alfalfa in Texas where the ground never freezes.

Frost going into the ground kills off the roots of the plant. On our fields, the grass dies back quite a bit in the spring if we had a cold snap with no snow cover in the winter.
Mark5
Board Meister

Post by Mark5 »

It appears some people are reverting back to superstition. Next they will be saying it is witches that are causing this to happen It is amazing and disturbing to see how far the anti-oil people and media will go to try and stop the oil sands from operating.
Cactusflower
Banned

Post by Cactusflower »

Mark5 wrote:It appears some people are reverting back to superstition. Next they will be saying it is witches that are causing this to happen It is amazing and disturbing to see how far the anti-oil people and media will go to try and stop the oil sands from operating.

Spoken like a true non-believer in science. Puffie40 offered a personal story of what has been happening in his alfalfa field where Fortis runs their pipeline, and all you take from this is that he must be some anti-pipeline protestor. Get real.
Urban Cowboy
Guru

Post by Urban Cowboy »

Cactusflower wrote:

So do you have someone complaining about dilbit going through a pipeline affecting crops, or are you typically just trolling for another straw to use in your lame agenda? As if anyone is going to inform those near pipelines, when oil is being pushed through the pipeline, or gasoline, or whatever they choose to move.

The story was about a "GAS" line, NOT oil. Apples and oranges yet again.

Same as Smurf I also lived on a farm that had a large oil pipeline running through it. No problems whatsoever!
“Not All Those Who Wander Are Lost" - Tolkien
The Green Barbarian
Insanely Prolific

Post by The Green Barbarian »

Cactusflower wrote:
Spoken like a true non-believer in science. .

LOL - the resident science denier is going to lecture people on science? Interesting....
"The woke narcissists who make up the progressive left are characterized by an absolute lack of such conscience, but are experts at exploiting its presence in others." - Jordan Peterson

Return to “B.C.”