Farmland affected by pipeline in Grand Forks

lesliepaul
Lord of the Board

Re: Farmland affected by pipeline in Grand Forks

Post by lesliepaul »

Cactusflower wrote:
southy wrote:I was really going to stay out of this, however, CF ... I have to say you are not obnoxious like so many other people - you are obnoxious in a completely different and far worse way. Others are entitled to their opinions, yet you just can't seem to let go of this political mess we find ourselves in and by no fault of our own. Unbelievable.

I guess I should feel honoured that you would choose me to bring you into the discussion, but what I find unbelievable is that you can read the disgustingly personal remarks by GB, HG, UC et al and not find them in the least objectionable. I've never called anyone here a 'liar', or accused them of being stupid, or wished them any harm. I've never said they should be locked up in prison or any of those rotten things they say about the people who disagree with them.

But carry on. Call my opinions obnoxious or whatever. I'll keep defending B.C. no matter what you or anyone else thinks. (And I didn't realize that my previous comment was posted. Sorry 'bout that.)

CF..........I have to believe that you are one of the zealots who HAS NOT PERSONNALLY bought in to the verbal diarrhea you spew incessantly at any and all who see this in a realistic light. Your "buy-in" may just be a second hand or stolen bicycle supported by a minimum wage, dead-end job or welfare. Again, I have to believe (from your comments) you have settled into a life where wanting to reduce all others to YOUR level of wants and needs is priority. You come across as if you have "given up" and want company at the "bottom". Good luck with that.
alanjh595
Banned

Post by alanjh595 »

lesliepaul wrote:CF..........I have to believe that you are one of the zealots who HAS NOT PERSONNALLY bought in to the verbal diarrhea you spew incessantly at any and all who see this in a realistic light. Your "buy-in" may just be a second hand or stolen bicycle supported by a minimum wage, dead-end job or welfare. Again, I have to believe (from your comments) you have settled into a life where wanting to reduce all others to YOUR level of wants and needs is priority. You come across as if you have "given up" and want company at the "bottom". Good luck with that.

Great post leslipaul! :hailjo: Good for you for making such a well worded and concise observation. I am sure that there are many others that agree with you.
Thank you for stating what others are thinking and standing up to the line. :hailjo:
I wholeheartedly agree with you. :yahoo:
Bring back the LIKE button.
dontrump
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by dontrump »

Puffie40 wrote:https://www.castanet.net/news/Penticton/223355/Pipeline-wrecks-farmland

I can probably explain this as my parent's farm in the East Kootenays has a TransCanada Natural Gas pipeline running through it. The compressed gas is usually warmer than the ambient, and it affects the surrounding ground. It's not unusual for us in the early spring to see the snow melted away from where the pipes are buried.

My guess as to why the Alfalfa in Grand Forks is being affected is the pipeline is keeping the ground thawed out and letting the plants get hit with frost. Hay farmers tend to cut their grass quite low to the ground to get as much as possible, and that makes it hard for the plant to overwinter.

Another possibilityility is the soil composition was affected by the installation of the pipeline, as alfalfa is a sensitive and picky plant, so it does not like poor soil conditions.

Our farm borders on a Fortis exchange and we do find them rather uncommunicative when it comes to issues. Whereas TransCanada is quite open and visits us at least seasonally to inform us of upcoming operations, we barely got an acknowledgement from Fortis when we complained to them about their contractors going too far and cutting down brush on our property.

but what you fail to say is your familys compensation per year etc is greater than anything you grow on the small footprint through you property will produce in revenues
Cactusflower
Banned

Post by Cactusflower »

lesliepaul wrote:
Cactusflower wrote:
I guess I should feel honoured that you would choose me to bring you into the discussion, but what I find unbelievable is that you can read the disgustingly personal remarks by GB, HG, UC et al and not find them in the least objectionable. I've never called anyone here a 'liar', or accused them of being stupid, or wished them any harm. I've never said they should be locked up in prison or any of those rotten things they say about the people who disagree with them.

But carry on. Call my opinions obnoxious or whatever. I'll keep defending B.C. no matter what you or anyone else thinks. (And I didn't realize that my previous comment was posted. Sorry 'bout that.)

CF..........I have to believe that you are one of the zealots who HAS NOT PERSONNALLY bought in to the verbal diarrhea you spew incessantly at any and all who see this in a realistic light. Your "buy-in" may just be a second hand or stolen bicycle supported by a minimum wage, dead-end job or welfare. Again, I have to believe (from your comments) you have settled into a life where wanting to reduce all others to YOUR level of wants and needs is priority. You come across as if you have "given up" and want company at the "bottom". Good luck with that.

I repeat, I'm going to continue to defend B.C. no matter what you or anyone else thinks......and no matter how much 'verbal diarrhea' you throw at me.
fluffy
Admiral HMS Castanet

Post by fluffy »

Cactusflower wrote:I repeat, I'm going to continue to defend B.C. no matter what you or anyone else thinks...

You have passion, I'll grant you that, but your field of vision is narrow. The things you fight for are not attainable in the short term, and oil revenues are needed in the here and now because there is nothing else to replace them with that can't be had without decades of preparation. Blocking this project and others like it is just going to push the realization of your goals farther into the future. You are, at this point in time, your own worst enemy.
“We’ll go down in history as the first society that wouldn't save itself because it wasn't cost effective.” – Kurt Vonnegut
Urban Cowboy
Guru

Post by Urban Cowboy »

Cactusflower wrote:I repeat, I'm going to continue to defend B.C. no matter what you or anyone else thinks......and no matter how much 'verbal diarrhea' you throw at me.

Well all I can say to that is don't do us any favors, because defending is about the last thing you are doing.

Also don't presume to be acting on behalf of other British Columbians, unless you run for office and actually win, in which case you'd have a mandate to do so.

As it stands you're simply aligning yourself with a super annoying fringe party, that hopefully gets knocked back down a few pegs next election.
“Not All Those Who Wander Are Lost" - Tolkien
Cactusflower
Banned

Post by Cactusflower »

fluffy wrote:
Cactusflower wrote:I repeat, I'm going to continue to defend B.C. no matter what you or anyone else thinks...

You have passion, I'll grant you that, but your field of vision is narrow. The things you fight for are not attainable in the short term, and oil revenues are needed in the here and now because there is nothing else to replace them with that can't be had without decades of preparation. Blocking this project and others like it is just going to push the realization of your goals farther into the future. You are, at this point in time, your own worst enemy.

Thank you for your advice, misguided as it is. Clean energy source have been around for decades. Canada is just one of a few countries who aren't heavily invested in solar, wind, geothermal and tidal power. Venezuela comes to mind when thinking of other countries who are still investing in poor quality fossil fuels. Even many developing countries are turning to clean alternative energy sources and finding it's cheaper in the long run. The population is much healthier as well. So it's a win-win situation. Too bad our federal government is so clueless.
Walking Wounded
Übergod

Post by Walking Wounded »

Cactusflower wrote:
Thank you for your advice, misguided as it is. Clean energy source have been around for decades. Canada is just one of a few countries who aren't heavily invested in solar, wind, geothermal and tidal power. Venezuela comes to mind when thinking of other countries who are still investing in poor quality fossil fuels. Even many developing countries are turning to clean alternative energy sources and finding it's cheaper in the long run. The population is much healthier as well. So it's a win-win situation. Too bad our federal government is so clueless.

What a load of crap. The only clueless ones are the idiots opposing the pipeline.
Puffie40

Post by Puffie40 »

dontrump wrote:but what you fail to say is your familys compensation per year etc is greater than anything you grow on the small footprint through you property will produce in revenues

How much "compensation" do you think we get? How much land do you think we have, and how much do you think is taken up with pipeline buildings?

You might be surprised, but I am very interested in hearing what you think.
lesliepaul
Lord of the Board

Post by lesliepaul »

I repeat, I'm going to continue to defend B.C. no matter what you or anyone else thinks......and no matter how much 'verbal diarrhea' you throw at me.
[/quote]

CF..........in your own delusional state you will "continue to defend B.C." I truly hope you do not depend on ANY government services or assistance to survive. The list is endless what depends on a STRONG economy in B.C. and Canada and the delusional can see none of this. A strong economy provides, for the most part, affordable living and services for all of us. Your "utopia" will provide NOTHING for years to come.

Delusional: Characterized by or holding an idiosyncratic belief or impression that is firmly maintained despite being contradicted by what is accepted as reality or rational argument, typically as a symptom of mental disorder.

It must be horrible to be you or your ilk...............but I do like seeing the morons chained to fences and their "leader" looking like she knocked back a bottle of whisky while being hauled away.
Cactusflower
Banned

Post by Cactusflower »

lesliepaul wrote:

CF..........in your own delusional state you will "continue to defend B.C." I truly hope you do not depend on ANY government services or assistance to survive. The list is endless what depends on a STRONG economy in B.C. and Canada and the delusional can see none of this. A strong economy provides, for the most part, affordable living and services for all of us. Your "utopia" will provide NOTHING for years to come.

Delusional: Characterized by or holding an idiosyncratic belief or impression that is firmly maintained despite being contradicted by what is accepted as reality or rational argument, typically as a symptom of mental disorder.

It must be horrible to be you or your ilk...............but I do like seeing the morons chained to fences and their "leader" looking like she knocked back a bottle of whisky while being hauled away.[/quote]

It must be horrible to be you and your ilk. To not even know what drives B.C.'s economy is the height of ignorance.......especially if you are a British Columbian. But then, it appears from your comments that you're not, so I'll cut you some slack.
lesliepaul
Lord of the Board

Post by lesliepaul »

:laugh:

It must be horrible to be you or your ilk...............but I do like seeing the morons chained to fences and their "leader" looking like she knocked back a bottle of whisky while being hauled away.[/quote]

It must be horrible to be you and your ilk. To not even know what drives B.C.'s economy is the height of ignorance.......especially if you are a British Columbian. But then, it appears from your comments that you're not, so I'll cut you some slack.
[/quote][/quote]

Now I know what Alex Trebek (Will Farrell) felt like on the Saturday Night Live (SNL) Jeopardy skit. Questions posed to complete morons.
christopher
Board Meister

Post by christopher »

Not knowing who did the work and who did the inspection my guess is the topsoil was not separated correctly.
Work on big pipe line jobs have enviromental techs on site all day every day and I can tell you that they are on the same page
as the government techs. This damage could be from caused by some dozer operator who was not careful taking topsoil off and putting back on and mixed the soil topsoil up with sub soils.
Smurf
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Smurf »

Cactusflower wrote:

CF do you have any understanding of transfer payments? Do you realize that they are a huge part of the BC economy. They help to pay our health system, large infrastructure projects and the list goes on and on. Alberta and Alberta oil have been huge contributors to the federal government for decades and still are even if it has dropped in recent years. Cutting off those funds endangers the economy of all of Canada especially if at the same time it worriers investors like Petronas and Kinder Morgan and we loose more of theirs and other investments in our country. BC is not an island that can thrive on it's own. We are part of a huge great country and we all have to work together to stay great and improve. Right now Hogan, his crowd and Kinder Morgan protesters are a road block to us continuing as the wonderful country we are.

Don't get me wrong, we need changes but we also need the time and money to do them properly so that they benefit us and don't destroy us as they are starting to do now. Ruining our economy and probably the economy of our whole country is not going to help anyone except probably other countries like the US, Russia and others who will continue to sell their products and prosper from them.
Consider how hard it is to change yourself and you'll understand what little chance you have of changing others.

The happiest of people don't necessarily have the best of everything, they just make the most of everything that comes their way.
fluffy
Admiral HMS Castanet

Post by fluffy »

Smurf wrote:...we need changes but we also need the time and money to do them properly so that they benefit us and don't destroy us...

This is the meat of it right here. Nobody is saying that the burning of fossil fuels doesn't have a dark side, I'm pretty sure that just about everybody who isn't paid to say otherwise is on board with that. The thing is that the technology and infrastructure to successfully transition away from this energy source is still too young to carry the load with any degree of success, both economically and environmentally. While the "green" perspective is a necessary part of ensuring a healthy future for our children, it must be tempered with the cold hard facts of reality, the most important being that there is simply no replacement at hand for everything fossil fuels gives us at this point in time. We need the fuel, we need the tax revenues, we need the jobs.

It doesn't escape notice that photos of pipeline protests generally reveal a sea of gray hair underneath the signs and placards, people whose income no longer relies on actually working for a living yet seek to force their version of morality on people whose needs are significantly different from their own.
“We’ll go down in history as the first society that wouldn't save itself because it wasn't cost effective.” – Kurt Vonnegut

Return to “B.C.”