What's the 'National Interest' anyway?

normaM
The Pilgrim

Re: What's the 'National Interest' anyway?

Post by normaM »

Lately I don't feel there is much National Interest more a What's the best for me Interest.
If there was a Loser contest you'd come in second
Cactusflower
Banned

Post by Cactusflower »

http://www.westerninvestor.com/news/alb ... 1.23174574
Of course Alaskans have no interest in these projects. Unlike a great many Canadians, they actually care about the future of our planet. They know that Big Oil and Alberta greed are already sending GHG emissions far beyond what's sustainable. Also, they know that increasing dilbit pipeline capacity is a dangerous game they're not willing to play. They've seen the destruction the spills have caused all over North America and they don't want their state to be the next casualty.
GordonH
Сварливий старий мерзотник

Post by GordonH »

Here is a number to think about, in 2016 (just gasoline alone, Stats-Canada).
43.6 billion litres was sold in Canada

So on average about 72 litres of gasoline from 1 barrel of crude oil (45.5 litres of Diesel per/barrel).
I don't give a damn whether people/posters like me or dislike me, I'm not on earth to win any popularity contests.
Cactusflower
Banned

Post by Cactusflower »

GordonH wrote:Here is a number to think about, in 2016 (just gasoline alone, Stats-Canada).

So on average about 72 litres of gasoline from 1 barrel of crude oil (45.5 litres of Diesel per/barrel).

Sorry, I thought I was posting a news item to British Columbians who would read it and want to discuss it. Should have known better than to post it here, I guess.
ol goat
Fledgling

Post by ol goat »

what if a new railroad could be built from northern Alberta to Delta Junction in Alaska, where undiluted bitumen could then be unloaded, diluted and moved on the much underutilized Trans-Alaska Pipeline System (TAPS) to Valdez?

Funny the article says completely different than what your saying CF
You only get one chance to use TODAY wisely otherwise it becomes yesterday and it’s gone
Snman
Übergod

Post by Snman »

Cactusflower wrote:http://www.westerninvestor.com/news/alberta/oil-by-rail-to-alaska-bid-could-nearly-bypass-b-c-1.23174574
Of course Alaskans have no interest in these projects. Unlike a great many Canadians, they actually care about the future of our planet. They know that Big Oil and Alberta greed are already sending GHG emissions far beyond what's sustainable. Also, they know that increasing dilbit pipeline capacity is a dangerous game they're not willing to play. They've seen the destruction the spills have caused all over North America and they don't want their state to be the next casualty.

I don't care one bit what Alaskans think or want. They are just Americans at the end of the day, so why would they support anything that gets Canadian product to port? Further, there isn't a single word in the article to support your claim that they "know that Big Oil and Alberta greed are already sending GHG emissions far beyond what is sustainable." Still, we all missed you, Cactusflower. Welcome home.
I know nothing except the fact of my ignorance - Socrates
The Green Barbarian
Insanely Prolific

Post by The Green Barbarian »

Cactusflower wrote: They know that Big Oil and Alberta greed are already sending GHG emissions far beyond what's sustainable.

Horse-poop. Unadulterated horse poop.
"The woke narcissists who make up the progressive left are characterized by an absolute lack of such conscience, but are experts at exploiting its presence in others." - Jordan Peterson
GordonH
Сварливий старий мерзотник

Post by GordonH »

GordonH wrote:Here is a number to think about, in 2016 (just gasoline alone, Stats-Canada).

Cactusflower wrote:Sorry, I thought I was posting a news item to British Columbians who would read it and want to discuss it. Should have known better than to post it here, I guess.

Okay, 5.7 billion of that 43.6 billion litres sold was in BC.
I don't give a damn whether people/posters like me or dislike me, I'm not on earth to win any popularity contests.
flamingfingers
Buddha of the Board

Post by flamingfingers »

My, my, but no real surprise:

‘I was in shock,’ says government insider about instructions to ensure approval of Kinder Morgan pipeline
By Mike De Souza in News, Energy, Politics | April 27th 2018
#55 of 57 articles from the Special Report:
Kinder Morgan

A new government insider has emerged to add their voice in support of allegations raised this week that Canada's review of Kinder Morgan's Trans Mountain expansion project was rigged.

The allegations were first raised on Tuesday, when National Observer reported that public servants said they had been instructed at an internal meeting in Vancouver on Oct. 27, 2016 to "give cabinet a legally-sound basis for saying 'yes,'" to the Trans Mountain project. They suggested that Prime Minister Justin Trudeau's government rushed its review of Trans Mountain and had made up its mind to support the project, despite claiming, at that time, that they were still consulting First Nations and the public before making a final decision.

“I guess that's something that wouldn't have fazed me at all if the Harper government was still in power, But given the change in government, seeing as how we were told to provide serious advice, I was rather shocked..."
Following the news report, another public servant spoke to National Observer confirming that they attended the Oct. 27, 2016 meeting. The instructions from then-associate deputy minister Erin O'Gorman about the major oil expansion project left them in shock.

"I'm not sure if that was word-for-word, but that was certainly the gist of the message. So I can't say if that was a direct quote, but that was the message I heard,” said the public servant, who spoke to National Observer on condition of anonymity. "I was in shock."

https://www.nationalobserver.com/2018/0 ... der-morgan
Chill
alanjh595
Banned

Post by alanjh595 »

So....by your diversion tactics, you do not have any concern for the National Interests and just want to bash political parties that you disagree with, regardless of how Canadians feel or may be affected? Yeah, that's a rhetorical question.
Bring back the LIKE button.
Urbane
Buddha of the Board

Post by Urbane »

So I can't say if that was a direct quote, but that was the message I heard

LOL. Not exactly a smoking gun! What a nothing article!
flamingfingers
Buddha of the Board

Post by flamingfingers »

public servants said they had been instructed at an internal meeting in Vancouver on Oct. 27, 2016 to "give cabinet a legally-sound basis for saying 'yes,'" to the Trans Mountain project.

The instructions from then-associate deputy minister Erin O'Gorman about the major oil expansion project left them in shock.

"I'm not sure if that was word-for-word, but that was certainly the gist of the message

gist
jist/Submit
noun
the substance or essence of a speech or text.
"she noted the gist of each message"
synonyms: essence, substance, central theme, heart of the matter, nub, kernel, marrow, meat, burden, crux; More
LAW
the real point of an action.
"damage is the gist of the action and without it the plaintiff must fail"

https://www.google.ca/search?q=gist+of+ ... e&ie=UTF-8
Last edited by flamingfingers on Apr 28th, 2018, 5:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Chill
Cactusflower
Banned

Post by Cactusflower »

ol goat wrote:
what if a new railroad could be built from northern Alberta to Delta Junction in Alaska, where undiluted bitumen could then be unloaded, diluted and moved on the much underutilized Trans-Alaska Pipeline System (TAPS) to Valdez?

Funny the article says completely different than what your saying CF

I posted the link to the article at 2:46p.m. You posted your reply at 2:47p.m. The speediest reader in the world couldn't have read that lengthy article in less than a minute. Take your time and read it again. Then we can discuss it.
The Green Barbarian
Insanely Prolific

Post by The Green Barbarian »

"I'm not sure if that was word-for-word, but that was certainly the gist of the message. So I can't say if that was a direct quote, but that was the message I heard,” said the public servant, who spoke to National Observer on condition of anonymity. "I was in shock."

LOL - imagine that, fake news on an left website. Why should no one be surprised by this garbage. Just pure nonsense.
"The woke narcissists who make up the progressive left are characterized by an absolute lack of such conscience, but are experts at exploiting its presence in others." - Jordan Peterson
flamingfingers
Buddha of the Board

Post by flamingfingers »

^^
public servants said they had been instructed at an internal meeting in Vancouver on Oct. 27, 2016 to "give cabinet a legally-sound basis for saying 'yes,'" to the Trans Mountain project.

Why would public servants express this opinion otherwise?
Chill

Return to “B.C.”