What's the 'National Interest' anyway?

Urbane
Buddha of the Board

Re: What's the 'National Interest' anyway?

Post by Urbane »

Drip_Torch wrote:No, you don’t need to post the poll results again. I’ve read it and notice that the premise upon which the poll is centered is somewhat flawed. I’d suggest, if you were interested in finding a path forward, you could re-read part 3, but I’ll admit, to me it looks like the opposition party is happy to dig in for the political win and doesn’t really care what it costs to get there.

So you like working with stereotypes and in broad strokes. I assume most of you have sold used cars and have vast experience with making the deal. So tell me, if a hysterical young girl shows up on your car lot and says she has to have that car, with a few exclamation points. She then enters her dad into the deal who says my kid is going to have that car…

Isn’t that sort of a used car salesman’s dream situation?
Huh??? I was a teacher and not a car salesperson but talk about off-topic and red herrings! Carry on pretending that the straightforward question about supporting the pipeline expansion project is flawed since you don't like the results but they are what they are.
Drip_Torch
Guru

Post by Drip_Torch »

Urbane wrote:Huh??? I was a teacher and not a car salesperson but talk about off-topic and red herrings! Carry on pretending that the straightforward question about supporting the pipeline expansion project is flawed since you don't like the results but they are what they are.

Welcome to my world Urbane, I'm anything but a tides sponsored pipeline protestor that’s involved in a conspiracy to keep oil sands in the ground and yet, that’s how you portray all the resistance to this kinder morgan pipeline project.

… and you can keep pretending the premise of the question doesn’t shape the answer.

The B.C. government has been steadfast in its opposition to the TransMountain pipeline expansion. The governing NDP campaigned on killing the project, and noted that it would use “every tool” it had to stop the project after assuming office in 2017.

If I could believe that to be true, I could put some weight behind those poll results. Anyways, you’ve all heard what you want to hear, so I doubt you’ll lend any critical thought to the matter. Like I said, the political win at any cost, seems to be the opposition party focus.
Drip Torch - an upright and steadfast keeper of the flame, but when tilted sideways the contents spill and then our destiny is in the wind...
Urbane
Buddha of the Board

Post by Urbane »

Drip_Torch wrote:
    Welcome to my world Urbane, I'm anything but a tides sponsored pipeline protestor that’s involved in a conspiracy to keep oil sands in the ground and yet, that’s how you portray all the resistance to this kinder morgan pipeline project.

… and you can keep pretending the premise of the question doesn’t shape the answer.

The B.C. government has been steadfast in its opposition to the TransMountain pipeline expansion. The governing NDP campaigned on killing the project, and noted that it would use “every tool” it had to stop the project after assuming office in 2017.

If I could believe that to be true, I could put some weight behind those poll results. Anyways, you’ve all heard what you want to hear, so I doubt you’ll lend any critical thought to the matter. Like I said, the political win at any cost, seems to be the opposition party focus.
I see. You think that anti-pipeline activists are being portrayed unfairly so you choose to portray those in favour of the pipeline project unfairly. Got it. Thanks for that. And you think that stating that "the B.C. government has been steadfast in its opposition to the TransMountain pipeline expansion. The governing NDP campaigned on killing the project, and noted that it would use every tool it had to stop the project after assuming office in 2017" is not accurate somehow??? LOL. Again, thanks for that!
normaM
The Pilgrim

Post by normaM »

If there was a Loser contest you'd come in second
Jflem1983
Guru

Post by Jflem1983 »

normaM wrote:http://www.news1130.com/2018/04/18/bc-question-pipeline-jurisdiction-court-appeal/

Scummy government feeding scummy lawyers
Now they want to take our guns away . That would be just fine. Take em away from the criminals first . Ill gladly give u mine. "Charlie Daniels"

You have got to stand for something . Or you will fall for anything "Aaron Tippin"
alanjh595
Banned

Post by alanjh595 »

Horgan leads his province through the support of three Green party MLAs who vigorously object to Kinder Morgan’s plan to twin the existing pipeline between Alberta and Burnaby, B.C.
If Horgan were to be reasonable, and admit he has no authority to stop a project in the national interest, he’d lose his shaky grip on power.
Bring back the LIKE button.
Urbane
Buddha of the Board

Post by Urbane »

A good point from Vaughn Palmer:

VaughnPalmer
‏Verified account

@VaughnPalmer

#bcpoli John Horgan rejects notion that Kinder Morgan "is a majority situation" for First Nations. Hold outs must give consent. But on Site C, he went ahead despite two holdouts.
Urban Cowboy
Guru

Post by Urban Cowboy »

The Green Barbarian wrote:
Drip_Torch wrote: Curious Urbane, what are you suggesting the BC NDP is currently doing to block this pipeline? All I see is a government representing people with concerns.

and I see a government needlessly wasting our tax dollars with nonsensical court challenges. Just get out of the way, and let this pipeline get built.

All I see is an incompetent Premier trying to appease too many opposing factions, shooting his mouth off way too much in the media, and doing his utmost to create an unstable economic environment in BC, which is a death knell for businesses and their investors.
First it was Petronas that bailed, and now Kinder Morgan, while all we get to do is wait and see who is next.

Meanwhile we have the resident NDP cheerleaders suddenly playing innocent and pretending Horgan and the NDP haven't done anything to block the pipeline, when that's practically all the grinning fool has been talking about. I guess some haven't got what it takes, to figure out court challenges, and whatever other "tools" the goof has in his "toolbox", is blocking the pipeline.

Notley never would have imposed that BC wine ban had it not been for Horgan's big mouth. The result of which local business lost money, simply to support this NDP vs NDP pi$$ing contest.
“Not All Those Who Wander Are Lost" - Tolkien
hobbyguy
Buddha of the Board

Post by hobbyguy »

When you consider that government lawyers have already confirmed to the BC NDP that they have no jurisdiction over the pipeline or the tankers, it is obvious that the village idiot LEAPer George Heyman is a cloth eared fool if he thinks that his "reference question" has a snowballs chance.

George and his lunatic LEAPers don't care about the law, they don't care about democracy, and they certainly don't care about Canada.

The entire usurper illegitimate government of BC NDP+LEAP+Green has become a complete travesty and nothing more than a dog and pony show for lunatics acting out.
The middle path - everything in moderation, and everything in its time and order.
normaM
The Pilgrim

Post by normaM »

right - so if one is against the Pipeline they don't care about Canada
Like to know what you do to show your great devotion to OUR Country. Besides idk, posting on free sites
How does that help Canada.. ah yes, clickbait and numbers
normaM
The Pilgrim

Post by normaM »

They simply must get a better picture of that guy, he looks about to cry
Since 70% of the " canuck" KM is owed by Americans I guess paying this in Canadian Tire dollars out of the Q
http://www.cbc.ca/news/business/tmx-kin ... -1.4625532
alanjh595
Banned

Post by alanjh595 »

Well...."free internet/forum" sites are environmentally friendly. Now compare that to the legal paperwork that the government lawyers produce......

AND..the internet is available to a much larger group of citizens without cutting down one single tree.....

Good job GreenBarbarian! You are saving 10's of 1,000's of trees everyday. Keep up the great work, and thanks.
Bring back the LIKE button.
Urban Cowboy
Guru

Post by Urban Cowboy »

normaM wrote:right - so if one is against the Pipeline they don't care about Canada
Like to know what you do to show your great devotion to OUR Country. Besides idk, posting on free sites

Considering your number of posts, that fits into the throwing stones and glass houses category, but I guess because you're a woman, it makes it different somehow. Just a bit classier than your smart remark the other day about fat old men sitting at their keyboards, but still baiting nonetheless.

Maybe we should get the resident lefty females, to post their weight, just to make sure you aren't applying a double standard. [icon_lol2.gif] Not that I don't trust your word, well............. scratch that........ it is because I don't trust your word. :biggrin:

Now getting back to topic, as to answering your question, those who respect the country tend to uphold it's laws, unlike May, Horgan, Weaver, Phillip, and some of those on here cheering them and the like ones on.

Demonstrating some regard for how Canada operates, and funds its social programs, would also be nice, given the anti pipeline gang certainly likes benefiting from all the perks, but have given zero thought to how the shortfall gets made up, should the pipeline be in fact stopped. Others have mentioned it and it's a very valid point, that being how about some viable solutions be presented, instead of all the No No No, that's about all the enviro nuts are capable of saying.

It would also show regard for Canada to not be buying into, and supporting, foreign interests, whose only real goal is to undermine Canadian efforts to get reasonable compensation for its resources.

Why should we keep giving everything to trump and his loonies for peanuts?

We have just as much right to sell our resources in the global market place as the US and Russia have, possibly even more, given we don't go around sticking our noses into everyone elses business, under some false pretense, just because the place has resources we want, or a strategic location on the map.
“Not All Those Who Wander Are Lost" - Tolkien
flamingfingers
Buddha of the Board

Post by flamingfingers »

If Horgan were to be reasonable, and admit he has no authority to stop a project in the national interest, he’d lose his shaky grip on power.

Yawn... he's already said that. He wants the courts to clarify EXACTLY what jurisdiction BC has in protecting its land, rivers, and coastline from harm.

And if you think that the Greens will topple the NDP over this so the Liberals can 'take over''???
Rotsa a ruck!!! [icon_lol2.gif]
Chill
hobbyguy
Buddha of the Board

Post by hobbyguy »

normaM wrote:right - so if one is against the Pipeline they don't care about Canada

If you don't like the pipeline you vote for a federal party that has jurisdiction to stop it. The Greens got what? 3.4% of the vote...

You don't support a bunch of anarchist LEAPers that do not believe in the rule of law, do no believe in the constitution, do not believe in democracy, do not believe in facts. They are just acting out in an immature and counter product fashion like a bunch of kids throwing a tantrum.

Legal protest is fine, but when the illegitimate so called provincial government deliberately and cognizantly takes unlawful actions, it is entirely unacceptable. Especially as their federal counterparts are a joke.

Canadians support the federal position on the pipeline: https://www.theglobeandmail.com/opinion/article-canadians-back-ottawa-on-energy-projects-but-seek-balance/

The support for provinces mucking about either way, pro or con, is way down in the dirt, about 12%....

And yes, there are other things one does, such as writing to Conservative MPs asking them to fully support the federal position.
The middle path - everything in moderation, and everything in its time and order.

Return to “B.C.”