WANG speeding.

Ken7
Walks on Forum Water

WANG speeding.

Post by Ken7 »

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/british-c ... -1.4256702

I love how defense counsel minimizes the actions of a accused. Well he does walk for 18 months which is great! His fine considering the value of the vehicle could have been higher.

For those who do not know, speed alone is not dangerous. You have to consider all the surrounding factors, weather, road conditions, vehicle traffic, vehicle condition and pedestrian traffic. All factors are looked at.

210 KMS in a 60 zone, would be dangerous driving if there was anyone on the bridge. When you further consider the what if which have a impact on the possible charge. Imagine changing lanes 60 to 70 meters ahead, you are not expecting a vehicle traveling that speed, you likely would have had a safe lane change. Although if he had to change lanes to avoid traffic, you are hooped! Fortunately, no one died! It is that simple as at that speed, someone would even if it was DUMB Wang.

Glad he sold his vehicle, hope he purchases a moped!
techrtr
Übergod

Re: WANG speeding.

Post by techrtr »

So, this wang got a $750 fine - big woop. My wife got two tickets at the same time last fall on Glenmore Rd. - one for speeding, the other for doing a u-turn. We paid for the tickets which was somewhere around $250. Then, a couple of days ago we get a penalty for $230 from ICBC because she got 5 points on her license. So, she got a $500 fine for relatively minor offences and this wang pays $750 for doing something that could easily have caused mass casualties.

I don't have a problem paying for the tickets although I think the PO was heavy handed and should have taken her driving history into account knowing full well that the 5 points was going to mean an additional penalty. I do think that it's ridiculous that ICBC is gouging drivers and punishing them 6 months later after they've already paid their fines. It's a total cash grab (which isn't surprising considering it's ICBC).

Seems to me that back in the day, if you didn't have points on your license, if you got a ticket, you didn't pay a fine - you only got points. Once you reached a certain number of points, you paid a fine if you got another ticket. That made more sense because once you got one ticket, you were careful because you didn't want to get a fine the next time you got pulled over.

I can only hope that this wang got about 24 points for his offence and will have to pay those a$$es at ICBC a few thousand dollars (although, if he surrenders his license, I think he's scot free. He has a 17 month driving prohibition so I guess there's no point in having a license anyway).
Smurf
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Smurf »

Too bad they could not have taken his car, sold it and donated the money to a worthwhile charity.
Consider how hard it is to change yourself and you'll understand what little chance you have of changing others.

The happiest of people don't necessarily have the best of everything, they just make the most of everything that comes their way.
lesliepaul
Lord of the Board

Post by lesliepaul »

Smurf wrote:Too bad they could not have taken his car, sold it and donated the money to a worthwhile charity.

Could never understand people who always want the government to TAKE everybody else's property. While you sit and wish this on other people, remember to look over your shoulder from time to time............this government wants to take as much as possible from ALL OF US all of the time and too many people are blind to it and even encourage it.
Smurf
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Smurf »

Don't break the law you don't have to look over your shoulder. This is an extreme case and should be treated as such. Many penalties should be increased and used to pay for policing costs. The same as car insurance the offenders should pay the brunt of the cost. Don't like it, don't offend it's actually pretty simple. I haven't had a ticket or an accident in probably 50 plus years why should I have to pay to police the idiots on the road and insure their messes.
Consider how hard it is to change yourself and you'll understand what little chance you have of changing others.

The happiest of people don't necessarily have the best of everything, they just make the most of everything that comes their way.
LordEd
Guru

Post by LordEd »

So, this wang got a $750 fine - big woop.
Add 60 day impound fees. Looks like around $23/day is $1380.
https://www2.gov.bc.ca/assets/gov/drivi ... nvoice.pdf

Driver risk premium: http://www.icbc.com/driver-licensing/ti ... emium.aspx
$905 + 320 x 3 years for criminal code conviction / excessive speeding at minimum.

https://www2.gov.bc.ca/gov/content/tran ... ss-driving

Also add loss of license for 16 months.

So we're at $5800 so far. at minimum.
Health forum: Health, well-being, medicine, aging, digital currency enslavement, depopulation conspiracy.

If you want to discuss anything real, you're in the wrong place.
Queen K
Queen of the Castle

Post by Queen K »

Still Big Woop. The car's sale value more than covered that and then some.
As WW3 develops, no one is going to be dissing the "preppers." What have you done?
techrtr
Übergod

Post by techrtr »

LordEd wrote:
So, this wang got a $750 fine - big woop.
Add 60 day impound fees. Looks like around $23/day is $1380.

$905 + 320 x 3 years for criminal code conviction / excessive speeding at minimum.

That's great but really, does someone who drives a $200,000 car really give a rat's patootie about a $5800 fine? A 17 month prohibition definitely but I would guess that this entitled little prat will be driving again within days or weeks. People like this guy think that society's rules don't apply to them.
Queen K
Queen of the Castle

Post by Queen K »

I predict that guy will be driving shortly, relying on some idea no one will recognize him. :up:
As WW3 develops, no one is going to be dissing the "preppers." What have you done?
Hurtlander
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Hurtlander »

And when 16 months is up, Wangs daddy will probably buy him something even more exotic and powerful.
Póg Mo Thoin
No longer proud to be born in British Columbia.
my5cents
Guru

Post by my5cents »

LordEd wrote:Add 60 day impound fees. Looks like around $23/day is $1380.

I don't know where you get that he has a Criminal Code Conviction.

CTV says he's had 3 excessive speeding tickets and one speeding ticket.

I doubt he pays the Driver Risk Premium while he is suspended from driving.

But, really, do you think he cares about a few thousand dollars ? The only way to get this guy's attention is to suspend his driving privileges, or jail.

I think it's pretty silly that speeding carries 3 demerit points and so does excessive speeding.

As for the ICBC Driver Risk Premium, the 3 excessive speeding if they all fall into the same "scan" period would be $430 a year for all three.

Considering some violators get charged with excessive speeding when only travelling 40 kph over the limit, this guy going 150 over the limit and this being his third excessive speeding charge insults those "slow pokes" getting a $368 to $483 penalty for excessive speeding when "crawling along" at only 40 kph over.

I would have thought that with a little work and math, considering a bridge is arched (ie you can't see over the crest) that Dangerous Driving under the Criminal Code should have been considered. For example a vehicle travelling 210 kph is going 191 feet a second. Can you imagine a car broken down on the bridge just over the crest, and this clown comes over the crest at 191 feet a second.

http://www.rcmp-grc.gc.ca/en/news/2018/ ... al-charges

Motor Vehicles, Vessels and Aircraft

Dangerous operation of motor vehicles, vessels and aircraft

249 (1) Every one commits an offence who operates

(a) a motor vehicle in a manner that is dangerous to the public, having regard to all the circumstances, including the nature, condition and use of the place at which the motor vehicle is being operated and the amount of traffic that at the time is or might reasonably be expected to be at that place;
"The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who haven't got it"
LordEd
Guru

Post by LordEd »

He's got a court appearance, ie criminal charges. Assuming he's convicted, there's your extra fee.

Just saying the comparison to a few tickets isn't accurate. Back to the torches and pitchforks.
Health forum: Health, well-being, medicine, aging, digital currency enslavement, depopulation conspiracy.

If you want to discuss anything real, you're in the wrong place.
Jx3
Übergod

Post by Jx3 »

Queen K wrote:I predict that guy will be driving shortly, relying on some idea no one will recognize him. :up:

I'd be willing to bet that he never stopped driving, maybe just in a less conspicuous car.
Jx3
Übergod

Post by Jx3 »

LordEd wrote:Back to the torches and pitchforks.

210 KM/H in a 60 KM/H zone on a three lane undivided counterflow roadway shows a complete and utter disregard for the safety of everyone else. Torches and pitchforks aren't necessarily unwarranted IMHO.
my5cents
Guru

Post by my5cents »

LordEd wrote:He's got a court appearance, ie criminal charges. Assuming he's convicted, there's your extra fee.

Just saying the comparison to a few tickets isn't accurate. Back to the torches and pitchforks.

Maybe you could supply a link or some information about the criminal charge. Google doesn't reveal anything.
"The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who haven't got it"

Return to “B.C.”