Grading the NDP

What grade would you give John Horgan and the NDP government so far?

A
17%
B
7%
C
3%
C-
4%
F
69%

Total votes: 71

Urbane
Buddha of the Board

Grading the NDP

Post by Urbane »

Please take the poll and assign a grade for the performance of John Horgan and the NDP government so far. You can provide comments to let us know why you assigned the grade that you did.
Urbane
Buddha of the Board

Re: Grading the NDP

Post by Urbane »

I assigned a grade of F to Horgan and the NDP for their performance so far. Trying to block the KM pipeline expansion goes against the wishes of the majority of British Columbians. It is already starting to hurt our economy and there's no way this will end well.

There have been too many broken promises. Horgan promised not to use taxpayers' money to fund political parties but broke his word. He promised to freeze Hydro rates but broke his word. He promised to hold the line on ICBC rates but broke his word. He promised to bring in Uber by the end of 2017 but broke his word. Feel free to add to my list . . .

The so-called speculation tax is wrongheaded and the employer's health tax is a step in the wrong direction. If the MSP were to be ended it should have been folded into the provincial income tax. And the surtax on homes valued at $3 million or more is blatantly unfair and mean-spirited. Some of the rationalization we've heard on these forums in support of the tax (e.g. They can just move since they'll die at some point anyway OR Why don't their kids just chip in to pay the tax? OR "They can just take out a loan from the government to pay their taxes) reveal how bad that tax really is.

The government raised disability payments and that's a good thing. Even though Michelle Mungall during the campaign promised that an NDP government would work to stop Site C that broken promise at least resulted in the right decision being made. The decision took way too long and Horgan's reason for saying YES, i.e. that all that money had been spent already, was known before he pretended to be studying the issue! Good to see at least a couple of good things.

Along with all of the poor policy decisions that are being made we have the ineptitude rearing its ugly head. While NDP apologists on here can scoff at this deleted email scandal it's yet another example of a party that simply wasn't and isn't ready to govern. Even the premier himself, along with Bruce Ralston, defamed Gordon Wilson. How stupid is that? And taxpayers will foot the bill. No, we're not allowed to know how much is being spent because transparency was just something that the Liberals were supposed to exhibit. The NDP aren't into transparency for themselves.

The 1990's NDP government was terrible and this government is no better so far. Possibly worse! What a gong show! Hence my grade of F.
Cactusflower
Banned

Post by Cactusflower »

*removed*
Last edited by ferri on May 20th, 2018, 12:54 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Discuss the topic, not other users!
Urbane
Buddha of the Board

Post by Urbane »

^^ :topic:
Cactusflower
Banned

Post by Cactusflower »

Urbane wrote:^^ :topic:

I thought 'Grading the NDP' was the topic. You singled out Horgan, and I commented on that. He's done a pretty good job so far; not stellar, so I gave him a B. Oops......looks like some of the other Horgan-haters haven't gone to bed after all.
seewood
Guru

Post by seewood »

Cactusflower wrote: *removed*

*removed*

In contrast, I read the few NDP supporters not explaining why the dumb policies are good ones? The daft explanations given regarding the new school tax on houses over 3 mil are a great example as noted in Urbane's post. One just types words that seem to come from a desperate NDP supporter who really has not divulged why in factual form why the NDP policies are good ones.
This tax and spend government is pathetic example of not being ready to govern with well thought out policies.
I'm thinking this government will scare many voters in BC from ever voting for NDP again. They are just inept, no other word to describe it.
If this PR is implemented by a seemingly more corrupt method, I truly hope people only tick their first choice on the ballot.

Oh, NDP deserve an F , but I suspect will end up being an incomplete next Feb during budget speech time. ( no confidence)
Last edited by ferri on May 20th, 2018, 12:55 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Response to removed post.
I am not wealthy but I am rich
Cactusflower
Banned

Post by Cactusflower »

*removed*
Last edited by ferri on May 20th, 2018, 12:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Off Topic
seewood
Guru

Post by seewood »

Cactusflower wrote:*removed*

*removed*
But really, as a comparison to other government leaders ( provincial and federal) past and present in Canada, Horgan and his party has to be one of the worst that has come along in my lifetime. ( 42 years of voting and not all have been from the above list)
Last edited by ferri on May 20th, 2018, 12:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Response to removed post.
I am not wealthy but I am rich
mikest2
Lord of the Board

Post by mikest2 »

Urbane wrote:I assigned a grade of F to Horgan and the NDP for their performance so far. Trying to block the KM pipeline expansion goes against the wishes of the majority of British Columbians. It is already starting to hurt our economy and there's no way this will end well.

There have been too many broken promises. Horgan promised not to use taxpayers' money to fund political parties but broke his word. He promised to freeze Hydro rates but broke his word. He promised to hold the line on ICBC rates but broke his word. He promised to bring in Uber by the end of 2017 but broke his word. Feel free to add to my list . . .

The so-called speculation tax is wrongheaded and the employer's health tax is a step in the wrong direction. If the MSP were to be ended it should have been folded into the provincial income tax. And the surtax on homes valued at $3 million or more is blatantly unfair and mean-spirited. Some of the rationalization we've heard on these forums in support of the tax (e.g. They can just move since they'll die at some point anyway OR Why don't their kids just chip in to pay the tax? OR "They can just take out a loan from the government to pay their taxes) reveal how bad that tax really is.

The government raised disability payments and that's a good thing. Even though Michelle Mungall during the campaign promised that an NDP government would work to stop Site C that broken promise at least resulted in the right decision being made. The decision took way too long and Horgan's reason for saying YES, i.e. that all that money had been spent already, was known before he pretended to be studying the issue! Good to see at least a couple of good things.

Along with all of the poor policy decisions that are being made we have the ineptitude rearing its ugly head. While NDP apologists on here can scoff at this deleted email scandal it's yet another example of a party that simply wasn't and isn't ready to govern. Even the premier himself, along with Bruce Ralston, defamed Gordon Wilson. How stupid is that? And taxpayers will foot the bill. No, we're not allowed to know how much is being spent because transparency was just something that the Liberals were supposed to exhibit. The NDP aren't into transparency for themselves.

The 1990's NDP government was terrible and this government is no better so far. Possibly worse! What a gong show! Hence my grade of F.

I'd have to agree with all Urb has said, I'd have to add:
The carbon tax should have remained revenue nuetral
The dropping of bridge tolls was a knee jerk, some more thought should have gone into it
The PR referendum is anything but clear and transparent, and Eby is anything but nuetral
Once I thought I was wrong.....but I was mistaken...
Bsuds
The Wagon Master

Post by Bsuds »

Do you have a choice lower than an "F"?
My Wife asked me if I knew what her favorite flower was?
Apparently "Robin Hood All Purpose" was the wrong answer!
Cactusflower
Banned

Post by Cactusflower »

mikest2 wrote:
I'd have to agree with all Urb has said, I'd have to add:
The carbon tax should have remained revenue nuetral
The dropping of bridge tolls was a knee jerk, some more thought should have gone into it
The PR referendum is anything but clear and transparent, and Eby is anything but nuetral

I agree with your first two points, and Horgan's decision on the Site C dam. That's why I gave them a B grade.
hobbyguy
Buddha of the Board

Post by hobbyguy »

seewood, the pattern with the BC NDP has been that every 16-20 years they are able to pull the wool over the eyes of a new generation of voters and add that to some who become disaffected with the adult party, mix in the cognitively challenged base, and wiggle their way in. Then the radicals in the BC NDP destroy any attempt at sound governance, and that new generation of voters wake up to the inherent inability to govern that has always been the hallmark of the NDP.

The only thing different this go around is that the NDP have a LEAP problem they can't escape, and the LEAPers are worse than even the old style NDPers.

Unfortunately the BC NDP will never go away. They are a bad penny that keeps showing up in a cycle. Then the new generation of voters learns that you vote for anyone but the BC NDP, and in this case the BC NDP/LEAP. I thought last time, with the 77-2 drubbing, that we might ctually get rid of the BC NDP and its culture of incompetence, but alas, Carole James was able to rebuild the party - until she got stabbed in the back by the LEAP crowd and others.
The middle path - everything in moderation, and everything in its time and order.
Frisk
Guru

Post by Frisk »

A: 1 vote
B: 1 vote
F: 19 votes
Lmao
The Green Barbarian
Insanely Prolific

Post by The Green Barbarian »

Bsuds wrote:Do you have a choice lower than an "F"?

my thoughts exactly. The idiotic stance on Kinder Morgan alone is a "F" for Horgan, let alone the malfeasant stealing of taxpayer cash to funnel into party coffers. This unelected government is worse than the raw sewage being pumped out of Elizabeth May's toilet and straight into the ocean.
"The woke narcissists who make up the progressive left are characterized by an absolute lack of such conscience, but are experts at exploiting its presence in others." - Jordan Peterson
The Green Barbarian
Insanely Prolific

Post by The Green Barbarian »

Cactusflower wrote:He's done a pretty good job so far; .

:biggrin: [icon_lol2.gif] [icon_lol2.gif] [icon_lol2.gif]
"The woke narcissists who make up the progressive left are characterized by an absolute lack of such conscience, but are experts at exploiting its presence in others." - Jordan Peterson

Return to “B.C.”