Is this a glimmer of hope??

The Green Barbarian
Insanely Prolific

Is this a glimmer of hope??

Post by The Green Barbarian »

Could Dr. Weaver finally be planning to bring down the unelected usurper dumb-dumb NDP over the speculation tax??? Can we hope???

West Kelowna is making its opposition to the province's proposed speculation real estate tax known at the Union of B.C. Municipalities conference in Whistler.

Mayor Doug Findlater, along with Kelowna Mayor Colin Basran, met with Green Party Leader Andrew Weaver to discuss the cities' opposition to the plan, which would add a levy on top of home purchases in the two communities for non-resident buyers in an attempt to cool a super-heated housing market.

“Mr. Weaver is very much on the same page as us," Findlater said after the meeting. "He knows this tax will hurt our community, and he said he is going to vote accordingly when the matter is before him.

If Weaver follows through, that could put the spec tax in jeopardy, as the governing NDP rely on an agreement with the Greens to hold the balance of power in the legislature. The BC Liberals are already on record as opposing the tax, which means a vote in the house has a strong possibility of failing.

Basran and Findlater previously met with Premier John Horgan on the subject, but Basran did not come away from the meeting with high hopes.

"I don't have a lot of optimism that Kelowna and West Kelowna are going into be allowed to opt out or be excluded," Basran said in June.

The mayors meet with bonehead Horgan and come away disappointed, but meet with Weaver and have some optimism. Can we hope that brain-dead Horgan is willing to die on this hill? Can we really be close to being freed from tyranny and oppression of the evil and disgusting NDP????
"The woke narcissists who make up the progressive left are characterized by an absolute lack of such conscience, but are experts at exploiting its presence in others." - Jordan Peterson
Queen K
Queen of the Castle

Re: Is this a glimmer of hope??

Post by Queen K »

*removed*
Last edited by ferri on Sep 12th, 2018, 4:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Off Topic
As WW3 develops, no one is going to be dissing the "preppers." What have you done?
Urbane
Buddha of the Board

Post by Urbane »

It would be nice if Andrew Weaver does the right thing but I won't hold my breath.
rustled
Admiral HMS Castanet

Post by rustled »

The Green Barbarian wrote:Could Dr. Weaver finally be planning to bring down the unelected usurper dumb-dumb NDP over the speculation tax??? Can we hope???

...snip...

The mayors meet with bonehead Horgan and come away disappointed, but meet with Weaver and have some optimism. Can we hope that brain-dead Horgan is willing to die on this hill? Can we really be close to being freed from tyranny and oppression of the evil and disgusting NDP????

I had the same flicker of hope, GB. Then my natural cynicism kicked in.

It won't be over until Weaver figures he's sleazed as much as he's ever gonna get from his pact with Horgan.

Unless he sees even better opportunities for himself if he ends their sordid affair. What do the mayors have to offer? Can they bring something better to the table than the current sugar daddy?

My guess is: Weaver's just toying with them.
There is nothing more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity. - Martin Luther King Jr.
rustled
Admiral HMS Castanet

Post by rustled »

Urbane wrote:It would be nice if Andrew Weaver does the right thing but I won't hold my breath.

You're far more polite than I am, Urbane.

Interesting suggestion (in the update):
The Union of B.C. Municipalities has passed a joint resolution submitted by Kelowna and West Kelowna in opposition to the province's proposed real estate speculation tax.

The resolution was passed Wednesday at the UBCM convention in Whistler. It was one of 200 resolutions up for consideration.

It urges the province to "modify its approach to the current proposed speculation tax to empower local governments to collect a levy on vacant residential properties and to require local governments that choose to impose such a levy to invest the revenues in non-market housing."
There is nothing more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity. - Martin Luther King Jr.
flamingfingers
Buddha of the Board

Post by flamingfingers »

Sorry to dash your hopes GB, but it's not a confidence vote.

Plus, read on:

VaughnPalmer

Verified account

@VaughnPalmer
57m57 minutes ago
More
#bcpoli Weaver on speculation tax: after listening to entire media scrum, I expect his most likely course would be to add opting out clause to NDP legislation at committee stage. Said he would need BC Liberals to show up and vote to ensure amendment passed.

0 replies 0 retweets 1 like
Reply Retweet Like 1 Direct message

VaughnPalmer

Verified account

@VaughnPalmer
1h1 hour ago
More
#bcpoli Weaver on speculation tax: in media scrum, made it clear he is not talking about voting against entire bill; but rather about amending it at committee stage.

0 replies 4 retweets 3 likes
Reply Retweet 4 Like 3 Direct message
VaughnPalmer Retweeted
Chill
TimmyE
Generalissimo Postalot

Post by TimmyE »

I don't know who the bigger bonehead is, Horgan or Weaver. But don't count on Weaver to do anything to bring down the government. He's had plenty of opportunity to do so and has failed everytime. He doesn't like what Horgan does here and there, but Weaver does nothing about it.
Two more years is going to come fast, but maybe not fast enough to turf these guys from government.
Veovis
Guru

Post by Veovis »

TimmyE wrote:I don't know who the bigger bonehead is, Horgan or Weaver. But don't count on Weaver to do anything to bring down the government. He's had plenty of opportunity to do so and has failed everytime. He doesn't like what Horgan does here and there, but Weaver does nothing about it.
Two more years is going to come fast, but maybe not fast enough to turf these guys from government.

Weaver knows how to make noise. This is just more noise to try to bamboozle more voters next election that he was "There for the people fighting" when he was just lining his pockets with John.
The Green Barbarian
Insanely Prolific

*removed*
Last edited by ferri on Sep 12th, 2018, 4:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Response to removed post.
"The woke narcissists who make up the progressive left are characterized by an absolute lack of such conscience, but are experts at exploiting its presence in others." - Jordan Peterson
The Green Barbarian
Insanely Prolific

flamingfingers wrote:Sorry to dash your hopes GB, but it's not a confidence vote.
]

I know it's not a confidence vote, but with Weaver holding dumb-dumb Horgan's nuts in a vice, Horgan can't really afford to go against him, on anything.
Queen K
Queen of the Castle

Post by Queen K »

*removed*
Last edited by ferri on Sep 12th, 2018, 4:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Off Topic
As WW3 develops, no one is going to be dissing the "preppers." What have you done?
normaM
The Pilgrim

Post by normaM »

So Andy sipped a cup of java with the local Mayors and shared?
It is a glimmer of something alright
If there was a Loser contest you'd come in second
The Green Barbarian
Insanely Prolific

*removed*
Last edited by ferri on Sep 12th, 2018, 4:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Response to removed post.
flamingfingers
Buddha of the Board

Post by flamingfingers »

without an actual mandate is just too much

If there was even the slightest doubt about the legitimacy of the present government, The BC ChristyLiberals would be in court at taxpayer expense, fighting for POWER.
Chill
hobbyguy
Buddha of the Board

Post by hobbyguy »

flamingfingers wrote:
without an actual mandate is just too much

If there was even the slightest doubt about the legitimacy of the present government, The BC ChristyLiberals would be in court at taxpayer expense, fighting for POWER.

The spinning top of red hat dipperness. Look it up - Horgan is listed as "appointed" by an AG who fluffed up royally and defied Canadian parliamentary tradition. It ain't illegal, but it was wrong, sleazy and crooked. But then what else to expect from the BC NDP/LEAP thieves and fools?

Weaver ain't doin' nuttin' until he gets past the referendum and the legislation that follows (maybe) on PR. He is just salivating over that rubbish. IF the referendum joke get's a PR result.... just watch the crooked BC NDP/LEAP thieves and liars string out the introduction of PR legislation fer ever!
The middle path - everything in moderation, and everything in its time and order.

Return to “B.C.”