Legislative clerk and Sergeant of Arms suspended

Re: Legislative clerk and Sergeant of Arms suspended

Postby flamingfingers » Feb 11th, 2019, 3:40 pm

I like Holman's final paragraph\;

If all of this doesn’t happen, I fear that the people’s house will remain the private domain of some of the most privileged officials in provincial politics. And that serves no one’s interest, except theirs.
If ignorance is bliss, why is everyone so unhappy?

blueliner likes this post.
flamingfingers
Buddha of the Board

Liked in: 6578 posts

Postby southy » Feb 11th, 2019, 4:18 pm

*removed*
Last edited by ferri on Feb 11th, 2019, 5:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Off Topic
southy
Grand Pooh-bah

Liked in: 746 posts

Postby gordon_as » Feb 11th, 2019, 4:44 pm

*removed*
Last edited by ferri on Feb 11th, 2019, 5:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Response to removed post.
New for 2018 : Now posting at the maturity level of the average Lieberal cheerleader. Any intelligent remarks or verifiable facts are probably accidental.
gordon_as
Grand Pooh-bah

Liked in: 1020 posts

Postby LordEd » Feb 11th, 2019, 4:59 pm

*removed*
Last edited by ferri on Feb 11th, 2019, 5:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Response to removed post.
I may disapprove of what you say, but I will defend your right to be punished for it. (User profile -> Search user’s posts)
https://xkcd.com/1357/
LordEd
Lord of the Board

Liked in: 2422 posts

Postby Cactusflower » Feb 11th, 2019, 7:06 pm

flamingfingers wrote:I like Holman's final paragraph\;

If all of this doesn’t happen, I fear that the people’s house will remain the private domain of some of the most privileged officials in provincial politics. And that serves no one’s interest, except theirs.

Holman is a realist, and he's been around long enough to be skeptical of the outcome. History has proven just how difficult it has been for the citizens of BC to hold those in the old rock pile in Victoria accountable for their (ahem!) 'misdeeds'.

flamingfingers likes this post.
Cactusflower
Lord of the Board

Liked in: 878 posts

Postby flamingfingers » Feb 11th, 2019, 7:13 pm

I have suggested before that I doubted that James and Lenz will get tripped up by their flagrant misspending of taxpayer dollars on trips, accouterments & etc. but it may happen treatment of staff will be a very large issue:

More B.C. legislature employees allege mistreatment, the speaker says
In a wide-ranging interview, Speaker Darryl Plecas says the number of former and current legislature employees alleging they were mistreated continues to grow, and now includes some political staffers.

LORI CULBERT Updated: February 11, 2019

The number of former and current legislature employees complaining about alleged mistreatment grows almost daily, and the tally now also includes political staffers, Speaker Darryl Plecas says.

Two weeks ago, Plecas’s chief of staff Alan Mullen said about 20 people who worked for the B.C. legislature — in areas such as the financial services branch, the library and the dining room — complained they were fired after raising concerns about witnessing alleged financial wrongdoing. In a wide-ranging interview with Postmedia News, Plecas said that number gets larger every day, and includes current employees.

“Alan, it’s not exaggerating to say,(gets) at least a phone call a day form someone who says, ‘Let me tell you what I have to say,’” Plecas said. “There’s several current employees with very interesting stories to tell.

more:
https://vancouversun.com/news/politics/ ... eaker-says
flamingfingers
Buddha of the Board

Postby southy » Feb 11th, 2019, 8:13 pm

Not sure I'm buying all of this. The minute I hear Plecas and Mullen mentioned in the same paragraph red flags instantly go up.

What's confusing is I thought the RCMP had taken over the investigation. Yet, this story talks about Plecas investigating along with his sidekick Mullen. What's the deal with that? Non partisan my *bleep*! Just my opinion though FF.
southy
Grand Pooh-bah

Liked in: 746 posts

Postby flamingfingers » Feb 11th, 2019, 8:40 pm

southy wrote:Not sure I'm buying all of this. The minute I hear Plecas and Mullen mentioned in the same paragraph red flags instantly go up.

What's confusing is I thought the RCMP had taken over the investigation. Yet, this story talks about Plecas investigating along with his sidekick Mullen. What's the deal with that? Non partisan my *bleep*! Just my opinion though FF.

The RCMP are investigating the aspect of 'criminality'. Surely you can see the difference in what Plecas/Mullin are bringing forth unless you simply hate Plecas because of your partisanship.

Plecas has forwarded other information to the RCMP that was NOT included in his 76-page report that was published.

Merry likes this post.
flamingfingers
Buddha of the Board

Postby Urbane » Feb 11th, 2019, 9:15 pm

flamingfingers wrote:I have suggested before that I doubted that James and Lenz will get tripped up by their flagrant misspending of taxpayer dollars on trips, accouterments & etc. but it may happen treatment of staff will be a very large issue:

More B.C. legislature employees allege mistreatment, the speaker says
    In a wide-ranging interview, Speaker Darryl Plecas says the number of former and current legislature employees alleging they were mistreated continues to grow, and now includes some political staffers.

LORI CULBERT Updated: February 11, 2019

The number of former and current legislature employees complaining about alleged mistreatment grows almost daily, and the tally now also includes political staffers, Speaker Darryl Plecas says.

Two weeks ago, Plecas’s chief of staff Alan Mullen said about 20 people who worked for the B.C. legislature — in areas such as the financial services branch, the library and the dining room — complained they were fired after raising concerns about witnessing alleged financial wrongdoing. In a wide-ranging interview with Postmedia News, Plecas said that number gets larger every day, and includes current employees.

“Alan, it’s not exaggerating to say,(gets) at least a phone call a day form someone who says, ‘Let me tell you what I have to say,’” Plecas said. “There’s several current employees with very interesting stories to tell.

more:
    https://vancouversun.com/news/politics/ ... eaker-says
Plecas just can't keep his mouth shut and his behaviour is very unbecoming of a Speaker. Participating in these interviews, quoting unnamed people, and teasing the public about how James and/or Lenz has/have mistreated people inhibits due process. It's shameful whether or not James or Lenz ultimately ends up in jail. It's just plain wrong.
"Spectemur agendo"

2 people like this post.
Urbane
Buddha of the Board

Liked in: 12275 posts

Postby flamingfingers » Feb 11th, 2019, 9:20 pm

Urbane wrote:

It's shameful whether or not James or Lenz ultimately ends up in jail.

Whoever said they would? Probably not a chance.

However, I would venture to suggest they will never return to their previous jobs.

Merry likes this post.
flamingfingers
Buddha of the Board

Postby Urbane » Feb 11th, 2019, 9:35 pm

flamingfingers wrote:
    Whoever said they would? Probably not a chance.

However, I would venture to suggest they will never return to their previous jobs.

You're likely correct on both counts but your response doesn't address the point that I was making. Due process and being treated fairly need to be in place whether or not some people don't like the accused. Participating in interviews where unnamed employees are quoted with accusations against the accused is certainly not fair. And it most definitely doesn't contribute to due process. What we're seeing play out right now is unbecoming conduct on the part of a Speaker.
"Spectemur agendo"

5 people like this post.
Urbane
Buddha of the Board

Postby Urbane » Feb 12th, 2019, 1:30 pm

Hmm . . . very interesting. Premier Horgan has quite a different story than that of Plecas. Good to see Horgan clear this up because when asked if any sitting MLAs were under investigation Plecas refused to answer:

Rob Shaw
@robshaw_vansun
Following Following @robshaw_vansun

"As far as I'm aware, and I've made inquiries, there is no investigation of any MLAs at this time" - @jjhorgan speaking to CKNW as #bcleg resumes under a cloud of allegations by Speaker Darryl Plecas.
"Spectemur agendo"

4 people like this post.
Urbane
Buddha of the Board

Postby twobits » Feb 12th, 2019, 6:06 pm

Last edited by twobits on Feb 12th, 2019, 6:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Do not argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.

The problem with the gene pool is that there is no lifeguard.
twobits
Guru

Liked in: 3448 posts

Postby Urban Cowboy » Feb 12th, 2019, 6:15 pm

“Most people do not listen with the intent to understand. Most people listen with the intent to reply.” -Stephen R. Covey

Merry likes this post.
Urban Cowboy
Lord of the Board

Liked in: 6455 posts

Postby burnedatstake » Feb 12th, 2019, 6:17 pm

thank god the NDP is in power enacting reforms in the house. god knows there would be nothing but a yoga party in victoria if the liberals were still in power.....
the capitalist idea of liberty is that one persons right to profit can be greater than another persons right to live.

flamingfingers likes this post.
burnedatstake
Übergod

Liked in: 377 posts

PreviousNext

Return to B.C.