Zero emissions by 2040

Cactusflower
Banned

Zero emissions by 2040

Post by Cactusflower »

https://www.castanet.net/news/BC/242450 ... ns-by-2040
At last........a government with some common sense. As all of you know by now, I drive an EV and I would NEVER go back to a gasoline or diesel powered vehicle. Whenever I meet someone at a charging station, I hear the same sentiments from them.

Glad to see that along with more incentives, Horgan plans to increase the number of charging stations in B.C. When I first got my car, I never had to wait at a charging station for someone else to charge their EV. Lately though, it has happened, and I can see the need for more charging stations as more and more people start driving EVs.

Anyway, thanks NDP/Green for moving forward with the times.
GordonH
Сварливий старий мерзотник

Re: Zero emissions by 2040

Post by GordonH »

Well then the current government had best get off their as :cuss: es and encourage hydrogen stations in BC, because I sure as hell I'm not going to go and purchase EV. Only type of vehicle I am interested in is a fuel cell.
I don't give a damn whether people/posters like me or dislike me, I'm not on earth to win any popularity contests.
rustled
Admiral HMS Castanet

Post by rustled »

Cactusflower wrote:https://www.castanet.net/news/BC/242450/Zero-emissions-by-2040
At last........a government with some common sense. As all of you know by now, I drive an EV and I would NEVER go back to a gasoline or diesel powered vehicle. Whenever I meet someone at a charging station, I hear the same sentiments from them.

Glad to see that along with more incentives, Horgan plans to increase the number of charging stations in B.C. When I first got my car, I never had to wait at a charging station for someone else to charge their EV. Lately though, it has happened, and I can see the need for more charging stations as more and more people start driving EVs.

So, if you don't mind sharing, how often do you pay for charging and how often do you use one where you don't have to pay?
There is nothing more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity. - Martin Luther King Jr.
Walking Wounded
Übergod

Post by Walking Wounded »

Cactusflower wrote:https://www.castanet.net/news/BC/242450/Zero-emissions-by-2040

You posted quite awhile ago that you only charged at these free charging stations, time to charging your car at home and pay for your own electricity.
JLives
Buddha of the Board

Post by JLives »

I can't be onboard until they make a 4x4 truck.
"Every dollar you spend is a vote for what you believe in."
"My country is the world, and my religion is to do good."
smoky500
Fledgling

Post by smoky500 »

and how far can you drive between charges? Can you drive all the way to Calgary in on charge?

And I don't think hybrids would qualify as zero
GordonH
Сварливий старий мерзотник

Post by GordonH »

impo I suspect there is magic number that tesla has (teslas on the road) as soon as they hit that number, those free charging stations will go bye... bye.
I don't give a damn whether people/posters like me or dislike me, I'm not on earth to win any popularity contests.
dakoda62
Fledgling

Post by dakoda62 »

Pipe dream for any one living in Van. the rest of B.C. not a chance
Cactusflower
Banned

Post by Cactusflower »

rustled wrote:

So, if you don't mind sharing, how often do you pay for charging and how often do you use one where you don't have to pay?

I don't mind at all, rustled. I charge my battery whenever and wherever I need to. Some are quick-charge stations, some are Level 2 stations; some charge a fee by the kwh, others are free. Sometimes I 'trickle charge' in my carport. Charging an EV is not rocket science. Oh, and to that other poster: I live in the OK Valley, not Vancouver.
countmeout
Übergod

Post by countmeout »

http://theconversation.com/not-so-fast-why-the-electric-vehicle-revolution-will-bring-problems-of-its-own-94980

Lithium isn't recyclable. Lithium supply is finite. Mining lithium is toxic.

EVs aren't the greatest thing ever invented. They were proposed at the same time as gasoline and gasoline won the debate back in the very early 1900's. 100 years later we are trying to debate this again. Technology has improved but the fundamental limits with EVs which caused them to loose out in market share to gasoline are still present today. Plenty of other better ways to tackle this issue.

This proposal does fit the NDP [icon_lol2.gif] . Without any research or follow through this is surely set up to fail, I don't trust anything which is promised by them when they talk about clean energy (site c anyone?).
rustled
Admiral HMS Castanet

Post by rustled »

Cactusflower wrote:
rustled wrote:So, if you don't mind sharing, how often do you pay for charging and how often do you use one where you don't have to pay?

I don't mind at all, rustled. I charge my battery whenever and wherever I need to. Some are quick-charge stations, some are Level 2 stations; some charge a fee by the kwh, others are free. Sometimes I 'trickle charge' in my carport. Charging an EV is not rocket science. Oh, and to that other poster: I live in the OK Valley, not Vancouver.

So in the course of a year you pay for what, 80 percent of your usage? 20? 50?
There is nothing more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity. - Martin Luther King Jr.
The Green Barbarian
Insanely Prolific

Post by The Green Barbarian »

I am still trying to understand how a car like the LEAF, that has to be on the road for at least three years before it even starts to be in line with a regular gas car due to the amount of extra emissions it takes to even build one of those :cuss: ty cars, can be considered "zero emissions". And what about the electricity required to run it? What if it is generated by natural gas? What then? I always laugh when I see EV cars in Hawaii, who are all being charged by diesel generators, calling themselves "zero emission". It's just a giant hoax.

https://www.autovistagroup.com/news-and ... 8-year-old

Swedish researchers have argued that electric vehicle (EV) batteries should not be as large as possible, but as large as necessary. This is the conclusion of their study which found that in terms of equivalent CO2 emissions, a car with an internal combustion engine (ICE) can drive for eight years before it reaches the same environmental load as a Tesla with a 100kWh battery.

Published in the journal Ingeniøren, the Swedish meta-study, which analyses and summarises studies completed so far in the field, found that around 150 to 200kg of CO2 equivalents (environmental impact equivalent to that of the release of CO2) are produced for every kilowatt hour (kWh) storage capacity of electric car batteries.
For example, taking two electric cars, the Tesla Model S and Nissan Leaf, which have 100kWh and 30kWh batteries respectively in Denmark, the study says these capacities are equivalent to 17.5 tonnes and 5.3 tonnes of CO2 being generated respectively.
Last edited by The Green Barbarian on Nov 20th, 2018, 5:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"The woke narcissists who make up the progressive left are characterized by an absolute lack of such conscience, but are experts at exploiting its presence in others." - Jordan Peterson
seewood
Guru

Post by seewood »

I'd like to hear a comment from an EV owner in Prince George and how they make out in the winter. Range? Time between charges in January when temps average -20 C every day, Montreal, Toronto winter driving?
What was, if any, a subsidy on a $140,000.00 Tesla and the income of the purchaser?
I am not wealthy but I am rich
vegas1500
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by vegas1500 »

seewood wrote:I'd like to hear a comment from an EV owner in Prince George and how they make out in the winter. Range? Time between charges in January when temps average -20 C every day, Montreal, Toronto winter driving?
What was, if any, a subsidy on a $140,000.00 Tesla and the income of the purchaser?

I have a few friends with Tesla’s in Edmonton and they do fine in our miserable winters. That being said the oil and gas industry has given me a good life and until there are no fuel pumps left I’ll be driving my gas vehicles. :up:
Jlabute
Guru

Post by Jlabute »

10% sales by 2025 is unlikely (in 6 years). You’re asking people to purchase basically the same level of EV available today. A lot of new vehicle sales are pickup trucks, SUVs, etc. Toyota is now pushing their solid state lithium battery out to 2030, which used to be 2022. When new battery technology comes (and we don’t know when), then EVs will become very affordable with better range. Then it may be time to purchase for many more people. To have by 2040 all new sales with lithium battery tech I doubt it, that’s just envirostupidity as usual. There also needs to be a lot more electric infrastructure around all of Canada and more vehicle types.
You don’t need legislation to improve technology and provide better products. Let it happen without all the waste.
Lord Kelvin - When you can measure what you are speaking about, and express it in numbers, you know something about it.

Return to “B.C.”