Truths about Aboriginal Funding

Truths about Aboriginal Funding

Postby RandyDandy » Nov 29th, 2018, 3:18 pm

Facts about Aboriginal funding in Canada

Appeared in the Calgary Herald
Thinking hard about history can be a useful exercise if incorrect assumptions are reformed. This was one goal of the Truth and Reconciliation Committee’s report on residential schools, which, in early June, published a 388-page summary of its forthcoming final report.

Others have already debated some assumptions in the report—healthy, given that history should never be left to past or present politics. Here, I will deal with popular beliefs about funding for First Nations people in Canada—something I have some familiarity with having traced such numbers back to the mid-20th century.

An analysis of the money is critical for four reasons.

First, in some cases, it corrects the record. The committee claims there is currently inequity in education funding for First Nation students on reserve vis-a-vis students in provincial public schools. Wrong. National on-reserve funding per student in the 2010/11 school year amounted to $13,524 compared to $11,646 per student, on average, in provincial public schools across Canada.

Second, if it’s assumed that the Canadian public through their tax dollars do not spend enough on Aboriginal matters (a chronic claim from Assembly of First Nations Grand Chief Perry Bellegarde), an improper focus on funding and not outcomes is often the result.

For example, as my colleague Ravina Bains points out, existing reserve governments often determine how elementary and secondary education dollars are spent.

That becomes a problem when parents want to send their child off-reserve, as they may be on the hook for the education cost. At that point, “parents have no recourse but to pay for their children’s education privately” as Bains has written “or, against their wishes, send their children to the on-reserve school.”

*snip*

More here:
https://www.fraserinstitute.org/article ... ing-canada

2 people like this post.
RandyDandy
Fledgling

Liked in: 89 posts

Re: Truths about Aboriginal Funding

Postby thebrod » Nov 29th, 2018, 3:34 pm

Thats Marks opinion for ya. :up:
thebrod

Liked in: 0 post

Postby Snman » Nov 29th, 2018, 4:52 pm

All peanuts compared to what's coming. One more reason to hate Horgan, the NDP, and the UN.

https://news.gov.bc.ca/factsheets/gover ... us-peoples
I know nothing except the fact of my ignorance - Socrates

blueliner likes this post.
Snman
Übergod

Liked in: 984 posts

Postby twobits » Nov 29th, 2018, 7:08 pm

Snman wrote:All peanuts compared to what's coming. One more reason to hate Horgan, the NDP, and the UN.

Yup, and today Horgan promised FN's a cut of Provincial gaming revenue. No numbers provided but he did say with his trademark grin......"It will be between one and a really big number".
That is leadership I crave. One that makes promises without costing them.
Do not argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.

The problem with the gene pool is that there is no lifeguard.

5 people like this post.
twobits
Guru

Liked in: 3855 posts

Postby Walking Wounded » Nov 29th, 2018, 7:24 pm

twobits wrote:
Snman wrote:All peanuts compared to what's coming. One more reason to hate Horgan, the NDP, and the UN.

Yup, and today Horgan promised FN's a cut of Provincial gaming revenue. No numbers provided but he did say with his trademark grin......"It will be between one and a really big number".

That just your typical NDP math in action.

2 people like this post.
Walking Wounded
Übergod

Liked in: 2121 posts

Postby dorf007 » Jan 6th, 2019, 3:35 pm

twobits wrote:

I think I just threw up a little in my mouth. :200: :200:

3 people like this post.
dorf007

Liked in: 41 posts

Postby dogspoiler » Jan 6th, 2019, 6:57 pm

That gaming revenue should go to ICBC to help all of us.
I cast my pearls before swine

2 people like this post.
dogspoiler
Buddha of the Board

Liked in: 2892 posts

Postby lensbaby » Jan 7th, 2019, 3:25 pm

dogspoiler wrote:That gaming revenue should go to ICBC to help all of us.

That wouldn't help all of us - just motorists.
If ICBC were run as a real business, accountable to real shareholders, they wouldn't be in the mess they find themselves in.
If the BC Government didn't want to control everything, we be able to shop private insurance - just like almost every motorist in the world.
lensbaby
Fledgling

Liked in: 129 posts

Postby dontrump » Jan 8th, 2019, 12:18 pm

lensbaby wrote:
dogspoiler wrote:That gaming revenue should go to ICBC to help all of us.

That wouldn't help all of us - just motorists.
If ICBC were run as a real business, accountable to real shareholders, they wouldn't be in the mess they find themselves in.
If the BC Government didn't want to control everything, we be able to shop private insurance - just like almost every motorist in the world.

ICBC use to be a money maker and don't forget there not Broke at all they own Multi millions in BC real estate and in investment funds etc . They continue to over pay management and the bonuses are unconscionable
By the way you can buy private insurance in case you don't know its only the very BASIC pink slip policy that's ICBC mandatory
If ICBC would quit the police ,social and school programs and just stayed in the actual insurance business I believe they would do fine :If I was running things this is what I would focus on and I would also get out of the property realestate market and lease I would also privatise the salvage end and the claims estimate sections
dontrump
Grand Pooh-bah

Liked in: 739 posts

Return to B.C.