Province sued in pot dispute

Province sued in pot dispute

Postby Fancy » Dec 5th, 2018, 1:40 pm

Well that didn't take long.

A Kamloops student who claims she got the wrong product from province's cannabis distributor due to mislabelling is file suit against the province.

Kimberly Nicole Webster says she intended to purchase Elixir CBD oral spray but wound up consuming more THC due to the mistake.

THC is the psychoactive ingredient in marijuana and according to documents filed in court and reported by CTV News, the spray was labelled as containing 51.6 mg/ml of CBD and a relatively low 2.18 mg/ml of THC.

"She now has reason to believe that the reverse is true, and that the CBD Oral Spray that she purchased contained high levels of THC and low levels of CBD," the lawsuit claims.

Webster says she received an email from the BC Liquor Distribution Branch, informing her that the product had been mislabelled, more than a month after she first purchased the spray.

"After further investigation we have determined that the product contains low levels of CBD and high levels of THC," the BCLDB said in the email which was shared with CTV News, adding that the spray was "incorrectly labelled."

The lawsuit also lists BC Cannabis Stores, the Ministry of the Attorney General and HEXO as defendants.

https://www.castanet.net/edition/news-s ... htm#243752

One would think the government would be a little more careful with the introduction of legal pot.
Fancy this, Fancy that and by the way, T*t for Tat

the truth likes this post.
Fancy
Grand Pilgrim

Liked in: 6685 posts

Re: Province sued in pot dispute

Postby gman313 » Dec 5th, 2018, 4:25 pm

from what you can read in the article, I would suggest it is the manufacturer. I think the government did a terrible job on the roll out and the regulations are not yet adequate however this falls on the manufacturer. Pretty sure they are responsible for meeting the labelling requirements

government (taxpayers) are getting sued because they have deeper pockets than the private company.

on a side note, would be pretty funny if you are expecting only CBD but your *bleep* is full of THC. make for an interesting day lol

Fancy likes this post.
gman313
Grand Pooh-bah

Liked in: 1457 posts

Postby dakoda62 » Dec 5th, 2018, 5:24 pm

Another snow flake, would you sue Walmart because they put Kale in your in your bag rather than lettuce, get a grip, not the governments fault.

2 people like this post.
dakoda62
Fledgling

Liked in: 70 posts

Postby Fancy » Dec 5th, 2018, 6:20 pm

dakoda62 wrote:Another snow flake, would you sue Walmart because they put Kale in your in your bag rather than lettuce, get a grip, not the governments fault.

That's a poor comparison. Maybe the person didn't want to absorb the higher percentage of drug. Substitute a more potent drug instead of greens.
Fancy this, Fancy that and by the way, T*t for Tat
Fancy
Grand Pilgrim

Liked in: 6685 posts

Postby twobits » Dec 5th, 2018, 7:11 pm

dakoda62 wrote:Another snow flake, would you sue Walmart because they put Kale in your in your bag rather than lettuce, get a grip, not the governments fault.

You don't understand how litigation works. It's always a shotgun approach, naming everyone with hopes of settlement. In this instance, the Gov't is the retailer just like they sell Molsen's. So to comment on your specific response here, ya, damn straight Walmart would be included. Just the same as they would be for selling a Gluten free labeled bread to someone with crohn's disease. It would then be Walmart's prerogative to try and recoup the costs of both award and costs of litigation from the manufacturer. Also why Walmart sized large retailers don't provide skew numbers to people or manufacturers without capital or very good insurance.

This is how lawyers make money and why you pay so much for insurance.
Do not argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.

The problem with the gene pool is that there is no lifeguard.
twobits
Guru

Liked in: 3448 posts

Postby TylerM4 » Dec 6th, 2018, 12:18 pm

This lawsuit reeks of "Money Grab" and I'm pretty sure the courts will see through it. I just hope they don't settle out of court.

To be successful in this lawsuit, the plaintive will need to show harm occurred as a result of negligence on GovBC's part.

It's clear that no harm came as a result which is likely to end the suit on it's own. Can't speak to the negligence side of it, but I suspect there's little/no case there as well. Put together and I think this person is just wasting taxpayer money.

soupy likes this post.
TylerM4
Übergod

Liked in: 1186 posts

Postby I'm Right You're Wrong » Jan 12th, 2019, 3:29 am

Fancy wrote:Well that didn't take long.

Weird how the only person who has allegedly been affected by this is someone who has been a virulent anti-cannabis activist for years. Real head-scratcher there.
I'm Right You're Wrong

Liked in: 1 post

Postby dontrump » Jan 12th, 2019, 6:34 am

Fancy wrote:

That's a poor comparison. Maybe the person didn't want to absorb the higher percentage of drug. Substitute a more potent drug instead of greens.

as the author said yet another liberal snowflake looking for a free ride Iam sure the minute amount of drug she may or may not have taken changed nothing in her life and had the bc liquor control not notified she would have been none the wiser
frivolous as best
dontrump
Grand Pooh-bah

Liked in: 671 posts

Postby KevinJP » Jan 12th, 2019, 10:53 pm

I'm more worried that the government is obviously recording who is buying pot. One of these days, the Americans are going to find out this information, whether through hacking or sharing and then watch out when the buyer crosses the border.
KevinJP
Fledgling

Liked in: 98 posts

Postby dontrump » Jan 13th, 2019, 9:43 am

KevinJP wrote:I'm more worried that the government is obviously recording who is buying pot. One of these days, the Americans are going to find out this information, whether through hacking or sharing and then watch out when the buyer crosses the border.

never thought of that angle but food for thought although may be a little far fetched but you never know these days
dontrump
Grand Pooh-bah

Liked in: 671 posts

Postby KevinJP » Jan 14th, 2019, 11:56 pm

I am not paranoid but call up the BC Lottery help line. They explicitly tell you that their data is stored outside of the country.
KevinJP
Fledgling

Liked in: 98 posts

Postby dirtybiker » Jan 15th, 2019, 12:25 am

KevinJP wrote:I'm more worried that the government is obviously recording who is buying pot. One of these days, the Americans are going to find out this information, whether through hacking or sharing and then watch out when the buyer crosses the border.

It was already put out there by some high ranking Canadian Politician to be sure to make
purchases in cash only.

Not sure what good that does the online market.
"Don't 'p' down my neck then tell me it's raining!"
dirtybiker
Guru

Liked in: 3365 posts

Postby Cactusflower » Jan 30th, 2019, 7:51 am

https://www.cbc.ca/news/opinion/cannabi ... -1.4997903

Neil Macdonald tells it like it is......as usual!
Cactusflower
Lord of the Board

Liked in: 878 posts

Postby gman313 » Jan 30th, 2019, 9:24 am

KevinJP wrote:I am not paranoid but call up the BC Lottery help line. They explicitly tell you that their data is stored outside of the country.

the vast majority of insurance companies also store data out of country. Pacific Blue cross, Greenshield, Manulife, Great-West. If you have a group benefits, individual, or any type of retirement plan there is plenty of info about you stored out of country.
gman313
Grand Pooh-bah

Liked in: 1457 posts

Postby TylerM4 » Jan 30th, 2019, 11:15 am

This is why the Province of BC introduced Bill 73 in response to the US Patriot act.
http://www.bclaws.ca/civix/document/id/ ... th:gov73-1

Unfortunately bill 73 only applies to "Public Bodies" like ICBC, BC Lottery, Health Authorities, etc and it can be circumvented by disclosure - which is why you receive that message when contacting BC Lottery.

Would be good to expand this to private business - but it's more of a challenge than it seems. Cannot use a cloud service provider like Microsoft Azure, Amazon S3, Google hosting, etc and still be compliant. Have to be very careful with companies who provide technical support out of the US, etc.

Patriot Act is actually kinda good for the Canadian tech sector. It's causing many companies to look at options for hosting outside of the US.
TylerM4
Übergod

Liked in: 1186 posts

Return to B.C.