Svend Robinson's back

Post by Cactusflower »

https://www.castanet.net/news/BC/244248 ... son-s-back
Looks like hell has indeed frozen over!
hobbyguy
Buddha of the Board

Re: Svend Robinson's back

Post by hobbyguy »

Cactusflower wrote:https://www.castanet.net/news/BC/244248/Svend-Robinson-s-back

Yup, a convicted NDP thief returns to the stage... just shows the lack of talent pool the NDP have.
The middle path - everything in moderation, and everything in its time and order.
Cactusflower
Banned

Post by Cactusflower »

hobbyguy wrote:
Cactusflower wrote:https://www.castanet.net/news/BC/244248/Svend-Robinson-s-back

Yup, a convicted NDP thief returns to the stage... just shows the lack of talent pool the NDP have.

The blame for that can be attributed to one man......Jagmeet Singh. Our provincial government has a very good leader in John Horgan. They need him in the federal NDP.

(Now, be nice, HG!)
Bsuds
The Wagon Master

Post by Bsuds »

Cactusflower wrote: They need him in the federal NDP.

Well while not my first choice as to how to get rid of him in BC at least he would be gone.
I got Married because I was sick and tired of finishing my own sentences.
That's worked out great for me!
Merry
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Merry »

I never understood the reason Svend did what he did, but it was one incident in an otherwise unblemished record. He must have been doing SOMETHING right if he managed to keep getting re-elected for 25 years. Is it right to keep holding one mistake over somebody's head forever? Or should we be more willing to give people a second chance; an opportunity to try to redeem themselves?

Apparently he was having some kind of mental breakdown around the time of the incident. Here's what the judge had to say at the end of the trial (my bold):
I have been sitting here since approximately 9:30 this morning, some two hours and 15 minutes or so, listening to a gut-wrenching tale about a man who has achieved much more than most, and who has taken a fall, probably more than most, all for a bobble [sic], a trinket, a ring.

The explanation is that what he did was an aberration, was a one-off, was as a result of enormous amounts of pressure placed on this man -- some of it self-imposed -- but primarily [by] people seeking his assistance as a member of Parliament, a significant position in this country. He, in his attempt to assist, has run himself ragged.

There is evidence to support that proposition by the people who are near and dear to him, who made observations of changes in the man... His detractors really say that Mr. Robinson is nothing more, and nothing less, than a common thief who got caught, and who turned himself in, not because of conscience, but because that was the expedient thing to do... The sad fact is, there is nobody on this earth who knows what was in Mr. Robinson’s mind, save and except Mr. Robinson... Shakespeare said that the evil that men do lives after them; the good is oft interred with their bones... He has fallen a long way. He has embarrassed himself, lost his opportunity to do that which he does and does well. Further, he is always going to be remembered for this. This is not going to go away. As I say, the public, at least in Canada, I think, has always lived by the sort of guiding principle [that] you don’t kick somebody when they’re down. Mr. Robinson’s down. I do not think we need to kick him.

He then sentenced him to 100 hours of community service and a year’s probation, and ordered him to continue his psychiatric treatment. The conditional discharge, common for first-time offenders who had taken steps towards restitution, meant that he wouldn’t have a criminal record.
https://thetyee.ca/Books/2013/11/08/Svend-Robinson/

All that was 14 years ago; isn't it time to move on and give the guy another chance? If the voters don't like him, or can't forgive him, they won't vote for him. But, if they do vote for him, then I think it's time to forget that one incident and allow Svend to get on with his life.
"In a world swathed in political correctness, the voting booth remains the final sanctuary where the people are free to speak" - Clifford Orwin
hobbyguy
Buddha of the Board

Post by hobbyguy »

CF - you wouldn't know a leader if you saw one. "Sticky fingers" Horgan was never elected by the membership to be "leader". The BC NDP talent pool is so weak it is incredible. Even for by-elections they are robbing the federal NDP of MPs, weakening the federal NDP.

"Sticky fingers" Horgan did not get elected as leader, did not get elected to the office of premier, couldn't cut it in private business. lies to the public and steals public money to cover up NDP incompetence, and is stealing more public $$$ to cover up his malfeasance in the Wilson affair. His erstwhile pretend challenger Farnworth is now embroiled in a complete mess with Plecas and has mucked it up royally.

All of that goes to show hat the NDP have zero talent pool - they are just a gaggle of gum flapping peanut chuckers.

The convicted thief Svend fits right in with "sticky fingers" Horgan, the less than useless Ralston, incompetent Farnworth and the rest of the crooked usurper types in the NDP.
The middle path - everything in moderation, and everything in its time and order.
Cactusflower
Banned

Post by Cactusflower »

^^The voice of reason is back.......thanks for that, Merry. It looks like HG and I posted our comments at the same time, so I'll send a reply to him next.
Cactusflower
Banned

Post by Cactusflower »

*removed*
Last edited by ferri on Dec 12th, 2018, 1:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Off Topic
jimmy4321
Guru

Post by jimmy4321 »

I guess... Wynona Ryder's been working regularly these days.

He's got a better chance of winning than the leader of the Federal NDP.
GordonH
Сварливий старий мерзотник

Post by GordonH »

If he gets elected (this is not a sure thing), at least if anything goes missing in the ndp caucus... they will have escape goat. lol, to soon... Oops my bad.

politicians & thieves, somewhat similar
I don't give a damn whether people/posters like me or dislike me, I'm not on earth to win any popularity contests.
The Green Barbarian
Insanely Prolific

Post by The Green Barbarian »

Cactusflower wrote: Our provincial government has a very good leader in John Horgan. They need him in the federal NDP.

Horgan is a brainless buffoon. But yeah, given how dysfunctional the NDP are, they could use him at the federal level, to replace Lyin' Finn Donnelly.
"The woke narcissists who make up the progressive left are characterized by an absolute lack of such conscience, but are experts at exploiting its presence in others." - Jordan Peterson
Cactusflower
Banned

Post by Cactusflower »

hobbyguy wrote:CF - you wouldn't know a leader if you saw one. "Sticky fingers" Horgan was never elected by the membership to be "leader". The BC NDP talent pool is so weak it is incredible. Even for by-elections they are robbing the federal NDP of MPs, weakening the federal NDP.

"Sticky fingers" Horgan did not get elected as leader, did not get elected to the office of premier, couldn't cut it in private business. lies to the public and steals public money to cover up NDP incompetence, and is stealing more public $$$ to cover up his malfeasance in the Wilson affair. His erstwhile pretend challenger Farnworth is now embroiled in a complete mess with Plecas and has mucked it up royally.

All of that goes to show hat the NDP have zero talent pool - they are just a gaggle of gum flapping peanut chuckers.

The convicted thief Svend fits right in with "sticky fingers" Horgan, the less than useless Ralston, incompetent Farnworth and the rest of the crooked usurper types in the NDP.

How can I put this delicately......Canada would be a much better place to live if John Horgan were Prime Minister.heck, come to think of it, we'd be better off with Svend as our PM. At least those two guys are human.
Last edited by Cactusflower on Dec 12th, 2018, 2:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The Green Barbarian
Insanely Prolific

Post by The Green Barbarian »

Cactusflower wrote:
How can I put this delicately......Canada would be a much better place to live if John Horgan were Prime Minister.

I will put this even more delicately...Canada would soon be a :cuss: hole country if John Horgan were Prime Minister.
"The woke narcissists who make up the progressive left are characterized by an absolute lack of such conscience, but are experts at exploiting its presence in others." - Jordan Peterson
jimmy4321
Guru

Post by jimmy4321 »

LOL!!! Even in that twisted world you speak of , the NDP would barely get 10% of the vote [icon_lol2.gif]
Cactusflower
Banned

Post by Cactusflower »

jimmy4321 wrote:LOL!!! Even in that twisted world you speak of , the NDP would barely get 10% of the vote [icon_lol2.gif]

You don't know that. It's obvious to anyone who reads the news that none of the present federal leaders are liked by the majority of Canadians.

Return to “B.C.”