Nanaimo: perhaps split the vote?

Nanaimo: perhaps split the vote?

Postby seewood » Dec 16th, 2018, 10:24 am

https://www.castanet.net/edition/news-s ... htm#244690

A by-election has to be called, hopefully soon. Wonder if the libs will win because of a split in the vote? Me thinks Horgan is wondering as well.
I am not wealthy but I am rich

Gone_Fishin likes this post.
seewood
Übergod

Liked in: 1355 posts

Re: Nanaimo: perhaps split the vote?

Postby Gone_Fishin » Dec 16th, 2018, 12:45 pm

By all reports, the Liberal candidate is already in a solid position to take this seat. A well-known Green can only help, making the freaks on the left get confused at the ballot box. Horgan and Weaver are too stupid to save their own sorry asses with strategic candidate selection. BC is rubbing its hands together over this one!
Ecclesiastes 10:2 "A wise man’s heart inclines him to the right, but a fool’s heart to the left."
Get a high school drama teacher to run a country, and what do you get? High school drama.

4 people like this post.
Gone_Fishin
Lord of the Board

Liked in: 4289 posts

Postby The Green Barbarian » Dec 17th, 2018, 7:44 am

I think an attempt at vote-splitting on the stupid left is worth a try, however I still think a dead dog would win as an NDP in that riding. The NDP losers on here always complain about West Kelowna, yet turn a blind eye to ridings like Burnaby, East Vancouver and Nanaimo, who only once in a blue moon would ever think of changing their votes. 2001 there was a miracle in that riding, maybe this will happen again. We can all hope, for the sake of our grandchildren.
How do you destroy a political party? Elect a part-time drama teacher as your leader because of his last name.

2019 - The year we get rid of the Liberals and their drunken farm wife spending.

3 people like this post.
The Green Barbarian
Admiral HMS Castanet

Liked in: 18423 posts

Postby seewood » Dec 17th, 2018, 9:46 am

Hammer home the fact that Nanaimo is a jurisdiction with speculation tax and the tax and spend mantra of the NDP and just perhaps....
:Which areas in BC are impacted by the Speculation Tax?

The Speculation tax, which is a retroactive and punitive tax, applies to unoccupied residential properties within the following areas of British Columbia:
◦Metro Vancouver (excluding Bowen Island and Electoral Area A, except the part of the electoral area that is the UBC and University Endowment Lands)
◦Capital Region District (excluding the Gulf Islands and Juan de Fuca)
◦Kelowna-West Kelowna
◦Nanaimo-Lantzville (excluding Protection Island)
◦Abbotsford
◦Chilliwack
◦Mission

*Most islands in British Columbia are excluded.

Must have some NDP with vacant housing on Protection Island. I've walked around there after a meal at the Dingy Dock later in the year and plenty of quiet houses there.
I am not wealthy but I am rich
seewood
Übergod

Liked in: 1355 posts

Postby khutchi » Dec 18th, 2018, 6:51 pm

The Green Barbarian wrote:I think an attempt at vote-splitting on the stupid left is worth a try, however I still think a dead dog would win as an NDP in that riding. The NDP losers on here always complain about West Kelowna, yet turn a blind eye to ridings like Burnaby, East Vancouver and Nanaimo, who only once in a blue moon would ever think of changing their votes. 2001 there was a miracle in that riding, maybe this will happen again. We can all hope, for the sake of our grandchildren.

NDP Loser here. Never once complained about West Kelowna. Citizens are allowed to vote against their own interests, their kids, and those of their fellow man if they so choose. Doesn't bother me one bit.
"History is like a slingshot... the more you go back, the further you'll go."
khutchi
Fledgling

Liked in: 113 posts

Postby Gone_Fishin » Dec 19th, 2018, 5:36 am

khutchi wrote:NDP Loser here.

You attend NDP Anonymous? Bold admission there.

Nanaimo is shaping up to be a chance for the citizens to save this province, and country, from a world of hurt. Just say NO to NDP.
Ecclesiastes 10:2 "A wise man’s heart inclines him to the right, but a fool’s heart to the left."
Get a high school drama teacher to run a country, and what do you get? High school drama.

3 people like this post.
Gone_Fishin
Lord of the Board

Liked in: 4289 posts

Postby hobbyguy » Dec 19th, 2018, 12:35 pm

It won't matter if the Green* Party and the NDP/LEAP split the vote in Nanaimo. There is something in Vancouver Island water that prevents rational thought.

There is something about living on an island that creates a sense of entitlement that goes weird. Think about Weaver's riding. Small islands that think it is perfectly reasonable for tiny island of perhaps 1,200 people to get millions and millions wasted on unnecessary ferry services, just so a few bed and breakfasts can have a few more customers.
Anyone but Scheer - career pols are know nothings.

2 people like this post.
hobbyguy
Guru

Liked in: 10180 posts

Postby hobbyguy » Dec 19th, 2018, 5:36 pm

https://www.timescolonist.com/news/local/eight-care-homes-in-nanaimo-parksville-to-get-money-to-improve-seniors-care-1.23548598

" Eight residential care homes in Nanaimo and Parksville are receiving funding from the provincial government to increase staff and provide more hands-on care time for seniors.

The B.C. government will invest $6.4 million in 2018-19 to increase the number of care aides across Vancouver Island."

Not a bad move, but interesting timing, eh what?

2 people like this post.
hobbyguy
Guru

Postby The Green Barbarian » Dec 20th, 2018, 7:34 am

khutchi wrote: Citizens are allowed to vote against their own interests, their kids, and those of their fellow man if they so choose. Doesn't bother me one bit.

And if the NDP finally disbands and leaves the political space, perhaps we won't have votes going against children and their fellow man, finally. The NDP is a disease. Please Nanaimo, do the right thing, and end this disgusting alliance of stupid with Horgan and Weaver.
How do you destroy a political party? Elect a part-time drama teacher as your leader because of his last name.

2019 - The year we get rid of the Liberals and their drunken farm wife spending.

6 people like this post.
The Green Barbarian
Admiral HMS Castanet

Liked in: 18423 posts

Postby hobbyguy » Dec 22nd, 2018, 7:41 pm

The Green* party running a strong candidate in a BC NDP stronghold is interesting. IF the Green* party could pull off a win, and with the BC NDP junior varsity on the ropes in Vancouver, might Weaver not want to seize the momentum and go early by pulling the plug? Use, say, LNG as his excuse?

Fun to speculate. Methinks there is a LOT riding on this particular constituency for the BC NDP....

The Green Barbarian likes this post.
hobbyguy
Guru

Postby twobits » Dec 23rd, 2018, 7:33 pm

hobbyguy wrote:It won't matter if the Green* Party and the NDP/LEAP split the vote in Nanaimo. There is something in Vancouver Island water that prevents rational thought.

There is something about living on an island that creates a sense of entitlement that goes weird. Think about Weaver's riding. Small islands that think it is perfectly reasonable for tiny island of perhaps 1,200 people to get millions and millions wasted on unnecessary ferry services, just so a few bed and breakfasts can have a few more customers.

Is there a published study of the Carbon footprint for these residents that includes their transportation needs as well as the supply chain for their consumables?
Do not argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.

The problem with the gene pool is that there is no lifeguard.
twobits
Guru

Liked in: 3461 posts

Postby FreeRights » Dec 24th, 2018, 11:37 am

hobbyguy wrote:It won't matter if the Green* Party and the NDP/LEAP split the vote in Nanaimo. There is something in Vancouver Island water that prevents rational thought.

I'm not sure if you've ever been to Vancouver Island, but there's more than 1,200 people living there, and for the most part, they aren't "entitled."

Perhaps it has something to do with you lumping everyone into the same category that would make it difficult for you to win in these places.
Come quickly Jesus, we're barely holding on.
FreeRights
Guru

Liked in: 2023 posts

Postby Urban Cowboy » Dec 24th, 2018, 1:12 pm

FreeRights wrote:

I'm not sure if you've ever been to Vancouver Island, but there's more than 1,200 people living there, and for the most part, they aren't "entitled."

Perhaps it has something to do with you lumping everyone into the same category that would make it difficult for you to win in these places.

I presume you missed the "small islands" part?
“Most people do not listen with the intent to understand. Most people listen with the intent to reply.” -Stephen R. Covey
Urban Cowboy
Lord of the Board

Liked in: 6491 posts

Postby hobbyguy » Dec 24th, 2018, 2:23 pm

FreeRights wrote:

I said "Small" islands - don't be misconstruing to make a daft point.

IF the attitude that "the ferries are are our highway and everyone else should pay for them" isn't entitlement - then what is?
hobbyguy
Guru

Postby hobbyguy » Dec 28th, 2018, 5:17 pm

So Weaver has lost his precious PR referendum. Splat! The sound of green stuff hitting the road.

That would say to me that winning Nanaimo becomes a big deal for the Green* party, if they ever want to be anything more than a teensy noisy little rump.

Will Weaver and crew run hard against the NDP, pointing out their obvious policy incompetency? Weaver has been playing it coy since the referendum, but it is a huge loss for them, and an existential threat. Will they softball Nanaimo? Especially given that the BC Liberal candidate has very good support?

Horgan knows the stakes. https://www.thetyee.ca/News/2018/12/27/Nanaimo-Byelection/

"Byelections are, however, famously difficult for sitting governments to win, and the NDP is not taking victory for granted. The party has chosen as its candidate Malcolmson who has been the member of parliament representing Nanaimo-Ladysmith in Ottawa since 2015.

If the premier hadn’t convinced me that there was nobody else that could win the seat and keep this progressive, cooperative government going, then I would have been really happy to be campaigning for someone else provincially, supporting them, and carrying the work on federally,” Malcolmson said. "

and a cheerful thought from the same article:

"In his holiday message to BC Liberal supporters, leader Andrew Wilkinson described the byelection as “an uphill battle in a traditional NDP stronghold” that would require “all hands on deck.” However, a spring general election looked more likely than ever, he wrote. "
hobbyguy
Guru

Next

Return to B.C.