Bait Packages left in Mall Food Court

Re: Bait Packages left in Mall Food Court

Postby Fancy » Dec 29th, 2018, 7:08 pm

What does property crime have to do with the drug war?
Fancy this, Fancy that and by the way, T*t for Tat
Fancy
Grand Pilgrim

Liked in: 6699 posts

Postby my5cents » Dec 29th, 2018, 11:31 pm

twobits wrote:Ok, ya, it works again for me too.
Still does not mitigate this five day multiple 100k/yr officers for what is best classified as a social experiment that caught 3 known petty crime felons in 5 days. Whoohoo!!
No wonder Surrey wants a Police Force they have some input, direction, and expenditure control over.
The new Mayor of Surrey is going to ask how much this social experiment cost to apprehend......essentially 3 shoplifters......how these arrests made the community feel safer in general, and how they reduced the raging drug war shootings in every friggen Surrrey residential area on a daily basis???
Seriously? A five day Shopping Mall sting to catch three shoplifters is good value while driving on any Surrey street might mean catching a stray bullet?

Well except these weren't shoplifters, they "found" something and didn't turn it in. It's called "theft by finding". The most minor charge on the books. At least shop lifting has the element of guilty mind and guilty act (called mens rea and actus reus [legal terms for the same])

You find something on the street, do you turn it in to police or keep it ?

I found a cart at Costco with a bottle of Tide detergent still on the bottom shelf, do I put it in my car or take it back to the store and turn it over as "lost property". Should/would I think in my wildest dreams if I choose to put it in my car that I would be arrested for theft ??????

BIG difference going into a store, taking something off the shelf, concealing it and walking out of the store, vs finding a shopping bag in a food court that was left behind and as you leave take it. Yes both wrong but a HUGE difference in culpability.

Worth police doing a one week project ????
"The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who haven't got it"

Urban Cowboy likes this post.
my5cents
Lord of the Board

Liked in: 1396 posts

Postby Fancy » Dec 30th, 2018, 8:47 am

It wasn't a one week project and wasn't done all in one stretch.
Fancy
Grand Pilgrim

Postby OKkayak » Dec 30th, 2018, 6:41 pm

Fancy wrote:It wasn't a one week project and wasn't done all in one stretch.

5 Day project, plus all the planning and meetings. Talk about grasping at straws :135:
OKkayak
Übergod

Liked in: 1524 posts

Postby OKkayak » Dec 30th, 2018, 6:42 pm

Omnitheo wrote:I’d say when people post things like “don’t they have better things to do?” Or bringing up their taxes, then it sure sounds like they’re up in arms.

Nah, demanding an investigation, resignation or audit would be "up in arms" Commenting something being a waste of time, money or resources is a matter of opinion.

Anyway, that's just my .02 cents, I'll just leave it here to see if anyone takes it :biggrin:
Last edited by OKkayak on Dec 31st, 2018, 3:11 am, edited 1 time in total.
OKkayak
Übergod

Postby Fancy » Dec 30th, 2018, 6:47 pm

Not a matter of grasping at straws - just pointing out how people embellish and exaggerate (or just don't bother reading all the information available). Hindsight doesn't serve any purpose.
Fancy
Grand Pilgrim

Postby twobits » Dec 30th, 2018, 6:49 pm

Fancy wrote:What does property crime have to do with the drug war?

Nothing at all except high priced police setting bait traps in a Mall instead of gang violence and property crimes in residential areas.
Personally, I would have the cops sitting in residential areas looking for thieves than baiting them in a warm shopping mall for cripes sake!!
Do not argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.

The problem with the gene pool is that there is no lifeguard.
twobits
Guru

Liked in: 3464 posts

Postby OKkayak » Dec 30th, 2018, 7:17 pm

Fancy wrote:Not a matter of grasping at straws - just pointing out how people embellish and exaggerate (or just don't bother reading all the information available). Hindsight doesn't serve any purpose.

5 vs 7 is hardly embellishing or exaggerating.
OKkayak
Übergod

Postby FreeRights » Jan 1st, 2019, 2:36 pm

twobits wrote:Nothing at all except high priced police setting bait traps in a Mall instead of gang violence and property crimes in residential areas.
Personally, I would have the cops sitting in residential areas looking for thieves than baiting them in a warm shopping mall for cripes sake!!

While I also think this RCMP sting ended up being a waste of time, its important to remember that the RCMP wouldn't have known the results ahead of time. They could have caught repeat offenders and found breach of probation. Obviously didn't happen.

The other important thing to remember is that this isn't a case of this or that. The RCMP is more than capable to conduct this sting, AND everything you listed above. I doubt the existence of this project would impact other projects in absolutely zero ways.
Come quickly Jesus, we're barely holding on.
FreeRights
Guru

Liked in: 2023 posts

Previous

Return to B.C.