Gas in BC going up

Re: Gas in BC going up

Postby Smurf » Jan 3rd, 2019, 12:15 pm

The gas is a lost leader sort of thing for the convenience store. That is where the money is made.
Consider how hard it is to change yourself and you'll understand what little chance you have of changing others.

The happiest of people don't necessarily have the best of everything, they just make the most of everything that comes their way.

Bsuds likes this post.
Smurf
Guru

Liked in: 6403 posts

Postby Chyren » Jan 5th, 2019, 7:22 am

Just remember there's "no collusion" with the big oil companies.....

Oh and the simple fact that they ALL show the same prices and changes at the same time isn't strange.. :135:

Urban Cowboy likes this post.
Chyren
Board Meister

Liked in: 368 posts

Postby Smurf » Jan 5th, 2019, 8:11 am

I don't know if it has changed or not but it used to be that if one station changed up or down the managers/leasees of others reported it to their lessor. They did not want to loose money or customers which makes sense. I doubt it has changed but back then a leasee could not change their prices without approval.

We as private owners could do what we wanted because it was our problem. The company we purchased from set the price based on the current selling price in our area and our agreed upon margin and we priced accordingly. If prices dropped we either stayed up or dropped and lost money. We phoned the company and they generally dropped the price on the next load. If prices went up they always knew immediately and the cost of the next load went up. If we decided we wanted to cut our price and start a price war, it was on us and we took any losses involved. It was suicide to cut prices because the companies would back the company owned stations and slaughter you.
Consider how hard it is to change yourself and you'll understand what little chance you have of changing others.

The happiest of people don't necessarily have the best of everything, they just make the most of everything that comes their way.
Smurf
Guru

Liked in: 6403 posts

Postby twobits » Jan 6th, 2019, 7:11 pm

Chyren wrote:Just remember there's "no collusion" with the big oil companies.....

Oh and the simple fact that they ALL show the same prices and changes at the same time isn't strange.. :135:

Nope,don't find it strange at all when the posted retail price on illuminated signs is in two foot high font. Why would you think it strange that a competitor cannot see this from 5 blocks away, pull out the cell phone, call corporate head office and match that price in three friggen minutes. But you seem to think being able to adjust quickly to competitors is collusion when all it really is is owning a cell phone that can take a pic of the competitors posted price and email to the powers that be.
Do not argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.

The problem with the gene pool is that there is no lifeguard.
twobits
Guru

Liked in: 3664 posts

Postby GordonH » Jan 6th, 2019, 7:24 pm

Smurf wrote:The gas is a lost leader sort of thing for the convenience store. That is where the money is made.

This is why many station have convenience store plus some type of fast food i.e Tim's, Triple 'Os etc
When you have to start compromising yourself and your morals for the people around you, it’s probably time to change the people around you.
GordonH
Buddha of the Board

Liked in: 8435 posts
Location: Second star to the right and straight on 'til morning

Postby Urban Cowboy » Jan 7th, 2019, 11:20 am

twobits wrote:
Chyren wrote:Just remember there's "no collusion" with the big oil companies.....

Nope,don't find it strange at all when the posted retail price on illuminated signs is in two foot high font. Why would you think it strange that a competitor cannot see this from 5 blocks away, pull out the cell phone, call corporate head office and match that price in three friggen minutes. But you seem to think being able to adjust quickly to competitors is collusion when all it really is is owning a cell phone that can take a pic of the competitors posted price and email to the powers that be.

Sorry twobits but I'm not with you on this one.

I had a family member, some years back now, who worked at head office of one of the big name oil companies, and part of her job description was to call the competition to inform them of a price change.

Is that not the very definition of "collusion?"

col·lu·sion
/kəˈlo͞oZHən/Submit
noun
secret or illegal cooperation or conspiracy, especially in order to cheat or deceive others.

No cell phone required even when the players involved are communicating behind the scenes.
“Most people do not listen with the intent to understand. Most people listen with the intent to reply.” -Stephen R. Covey
Urban Cowboy
Lord of the Board

Liked in: 6878 posts

Postby twobits » Jan 7th, 2019, 8:00 pm

Urban Cowboy wrote:Sorry twobits but I'm not with you on this one.

I had a family member, some years back now, who worked at head office of one of the big name oil companies, and part of her job description was to call the competition to inform them of a price change.

My response to this is "some years back now"......this used to happen. It doesn't happen anymore with easily traced communications. What company wants to pay for legal fee's to defend anti trust or collusion accusations??
Information moves far too fast now.
Collusion now is on a macro level, not pump price levels. Meeting in private for long term strategy that is off record. But I have difficultly believing that is even possible in today's corporate world given the reaction time to endless political and global events.
I think now we have reached the point where all the players in whatever industry, have an understood "code of conduct" and all play nice with a few disruptions to make the consumer believe there is still some kind of competition in Momopoly and Oligopoly industries.
And the Chinese are f'en up that gentleman's understanding.
Do not argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.

The problem with the gene pool is that there is no lifeguard.
twobits
Guru

Liked in: 3664 posts

Postby GordonH » Jan 9th, 2019, 8:42 am

So Husky is doing what Esso has already done, meaning getting of retail end. Not sure if Esso got out of the refining though.
https://www.castanet.net/news/Business/ ... s-for-sale

Be curious who takes over, as for Esso it was 7-11.
When you have to start compromising yourself and your morals for the people around you, it’s probably time to change the people around you.
GordonH
Buddha of the Board

Liked in: 8435 posts
Location: Second star to the right and straight on 'til morning

Previous

Return to B.C.