An Act of War; Oka Crisis Part 2?

An Act of War; Oka Crisis Part 2?

Postby Brass Monkey » Jan 6th, 2019, 2:34 am

RCMP is saddling up to commence a raid on the Wet’suwet’en First Nations for protecting their sovereign and unceded land from federal development. I’m sure a lot of members on this forum remember watching the Oka Crisis in 1990, what’s your input on this similar scenario?

https://aptnnews.ca/2019/01/05/an-act-o ... territory/

Because_They_Lie likes this post.
Brass Monkey
Board Meister

Liked in: 318 posts

Re: An Act of War; Oka Crisis Part 2?

Postby Bikes » Jan 6th, 2019, 4:35 am

more bs on both sides like always.
I still want to hit a cop with a rake while live on CBC like the dude did in the original OKA.
Where is my equality?
If someone doesn't have to obey the law then no one has to obey the law.

2 people like this post.
Bikes

Liked in: 44 posts

Postby Hurtlander » Jan 6th, 2019, 8:48 am

The problem the authorities face with this pipeline protest, as well as the TMX protest which is still taking place in Blue River, is that the federal government HAS done its due diligence by consulting with all the various elected First Nations governments along the paths of the two pipelines... however there’s a small handful of radical First Nations that don’t recognize the authority of the elected First Nations governments to speak on their behalf, they feel the federal and provincial governments have a duty to consult with only the hereditary chiefs and their followers of whichever traditional territory the pipelines pass through, and not the elected First Nations governments which they claim doesn’t represent them....
The government is up against a brick wall when it comes to consulting with First Nations, does it consult with elected First Nations chiefs and band councils or with hereditary chiefs and their supporters. As long as there’s a First Nations power struggle, the consultation process required by the SCOC isn’t going to work.
As to the question will this be another Oka, or for that matter the Gustufson Lake standoff, I wouldn’t be the least bit surprised if some young “warrior” anti pipeline protester dressed in camo with his face hidden behind a bandanna fires the first shot.

3 people like this post.
Hurtlander
Guru

Liked in: 6315 posts

Postby dontrump » Jan 6th, 2019, 8:52 am

here is the truth(see above) a small minority of ignorant and mostly unemployed live their whole lives to create indian anarchy ;;
the Bottom line is this ::

The elected chiefs and councils of the five Wet’suwet’en bands have approved the pipeline.

8 people like this post.
dontrump
Grand Pooh-bah

Liked in: 739 posts

Postby Rider59 » Jan 6th, 2019, 9:23 am

No Federal Laws, no Federal money. Cut off all funding until they get the hell out of the way.
Fast, Good or Cheap. Pick Two

11 people like this post.
Rider59
Generalissimo Postalot

Liked in: 765 posts

Postby dontrump » Jan 6th, 2019, 10:29 am

Rider59 wrote:No Federal Laws, no Federal money. Cut off all funding until they get the hell out of the way.

well in my opinion that should have been already done to all bands and members across Canada years ago

7 people like this post.
dontrump
Grand Pooh-bah

Liked in: 739 posts

Postby The Green Barbarian » Jan 6th, 2019, 11:20 am

Brass Monkey wrote:RCMP is saddling up to commence a raid on the Wet’suwet’en First Nations for protecting their sovereign and unceded land from federal development./

you see, this just pisses me off. If the situation was as presented above, I'd be 100% on their side. But you misrepresented the situation. Deliberately. And now I feel lied to and cheated. You really need to stop this fake sanctimony, and present the situation in as real a position as possible, otherwise no one will believe anything you say.
All of those people suffering from TDS that still say that Hillary won the 2016 US election because she won the popular vote - I expect you to fill out your Conservative party membership forms today, and support Andrew Scheer as the actual PM of Canada.

13 people like this post.
The Green Barbarian
Admiral HMS Castanet

Liked in: 24294 posts

Postby dirtybiker » Jan 6th, 2019, 1:12 pm

^^^Ditto^^^^
"Don't 'p' down my neck then tell me it's raining!"

4 people like this post.
dirtybiker
Guru

Liked in: 3850 posts

Postby seewood » Jan 6th, 2019, 2:07 pm

Feds consult but First nations do not have veto power..
I am not wealthy but I am rich

2 people like this post.
seewood
Übergod

Liked in: 1656 posts

Postby pentona » Jan 6th, 2019, 2:25 pm

Brass Monkey wrote:RCMP is saddling up to commence a raid on the Wet’suwet’en First Nations for protecting their sovereign and unceded land from federal development. I’m sure a lot of members on this forum remember watching the Oka Crisis in 1990, what’s your input on this similar scenario?

I wonder how many of these protesters have Natural Gas into their homes? If any, they should be cut off, right friggin now.

6 people like this post.
pentona
Übergod

Liked in: 633 posts

Postby vegas1500 » Jan 6th, 2019, 3:16 pm

pentona wrote:
Brass Monkey wrote:RCMP is saddling up to commence a raid on the Wet’suwet’en First Nations for protecting their sovereign and unceded land from federal development. I’m sure a lot of members on this forum remember watching the Oka Crisis in 1990, what’s your input on this similar scenario?

I wonder how many of these protesters have Natural Gas into their homes? If any, they should be cut off, right friggin now.

Along with every $$$ they get from the government!

5 people like this post.
vegas1500
Übergod

Liked in: 2167 posts

Postby dorf007 » Jan 6th, 2019, 3:28 pm

OK hold on everyone, I have a simple solution.....

WE build a wall all around their native territory with only one gate to enter/exit from.

WE do not go on their land...and they do not come on OUR land.

Should they wish to leave their land, a "entry" fee with a time limit will be imposed...and vise versa. Seems fair.

We now build the pipe line "around" this lovely new wall all the way to Kitimat.

And just one more thing...the Government stops all funding to that band IMMEDIATELY !!!

See...I told you it was simple.

PS In the words of Donald Trump "we will make them pay for it".

2 people like this post.
dorf007

Liked in: 41 posts

Postby Frisk » Jan 6th, 2019, 3:32 pm

The majority of british columbian's (including indigenous communities and leaders) understand that the pipeline needs to be built in order to keep BC and its economy moving forward. It's shameful that a tiny group of looney tunes can disrupt democracy.

9 people like this post.
Frisk
Guru

Liked in: 2454 posts

Postby erinmore3775 » Jan 6th, 2019, 4:01 pm

Like GB and Seewood, this type of protest annoys me to no end. Splinter groups do not represent the entire indigenous nation. The Gitimd'en are one of five clans that make up the Wet'suwet'en. While the Supreme Court of Canada confirmed the Indigenous nation's land rights and title had never been extinguished, the elected leaders of Wet'suwet'en have signed an agreement with Coastal GasLink to allow the pipeline to proceed.

https://www.northislandgazette.com/news/all-20-first-nations-sign-coastal-gaslink-pipeline-agreement/

Coastal GasLink president Rick Gateman announced that all 20 First Nations groups along the length of the Coastal GasLink pipeline have now signed a project agreement...Support for the agreements comes from the elected leaders of the 20 Indigenous bands as well as from several traditional and hereditary leaders within these communities,

Haisla Nation Chief Councillor Crystal Smith said the council is “...happy to celebrate Coastal GasLink’s major milestone....First Nations in Northern B.C. have a real opportunity to work together to build benefits for each of our communities, which respects Aboriginal rights and title, separate from the political realm,” said Smith. “This announcement from Coastal GasLink is an example of that opportunity.”

The blockage of the Coastal GasLink construction right of way is illegal. Any comparison to what happened at Oka is a total misrepresentation. What is happening here is a disgruntled few, who disagree with their elected leaders, and receive their band rights through those elected leaders, have taken the law into their own hands. Hopefully, they this enjoy their five seconds of fame and then peacefully disband to enjoy the benefits negotiated by their elected leaders. If they do not disband, I hope they are arrested.
"Justice will not come until those who are not injured are as indignant as those who are injured."
- Thucydides, Greek Philosopher

"You make a living by what you get; you make a life by what you give." - Winston Churchill

5 people like this post.
erinmore3775
Übergod

Liked in: 1732 posts

Postby westbankkid » Jan 6th, 2019, 4:17 pm

Arrest them and throw them all in jail. They have an injunction against them and breaking the law.
westbankkid
Übergod

Liked in: 491 posts

Next

Return to B.C.