An Act of War; Oka Crisis Part 2?

blueliner
Übergod

Re: An Act of War; Oka Crisis Part 2?

Post by blueliner »

Frisk wrote:The majority of british columbian's (including indigenous communities and leaders) understand that the pipeline needs to be built in order to keep BC and its economy moving forward. It's shameful that a tiny group of looney tunes can disrupt democracy.

Wonder how many of these protesters are left over paid looney tunes from the Kimber Mountain protest :200:
Brass Monkey
Lord of the Board

Post by Brass Monkey »

I wonder how many of these protesters have Natural Gas into their homes? If any, they should be cut off, right friggin now.[/quote]

They all had natural gas before this pipeline, weird huh?
“I have reason to believe that the agents as a whole … are doing all they can, by refusing food until the Indians are on the verge of starvation, to reduce the expense." - Sir John A. MacDonald
Brass Monkey
Lord of the Board

Post by Brass Monkey »

The Green Barbarian wrote:
you see, this just pisses me off. If the situation was as presented above, I'd be 100% on their side. But you misrepresented the situation. Deliberately. And now I feel lied to and cheated. You really need to stop this fake sanctimony, and present the situation in as real a position as possible, otherwise no one will believe anything you say.

You should specifically point out exactly what was wrong with my statement, members of Wet’suwet’en are indeed resisting against federal development and have been warned of an impending police raid, while on sovereign and unceded land, those are facts.
“I have reason to believe that the agents as a whole … are doing all they can, by refusing food until the Indians are on the verge of starvation, to reduce the expense." - Sir John A. MacDonald
Brass Monkey
Lord of the Board

Post by Brass Monkey »

dontrump wrote:
The elected chiefs and councils of the five Wet’suwet’en bands have approved the pipeline.

This isn’t a small minority, this is happening to yet another band of First Nations people and non-natives are justifying the feds, again. I’ve seen it discussed on this forum as to how Chief and council members get so rich while their community struggles, this is how. The approvement was not a community consensus it was an act of enrichment by Chief and Council, this is why my indian band has a constitution to protect against this.
Brass Monkey
Lord of the Board

Post by Brass Monkey »

Rider59 wrote:No Federal Laws, no Federal money. Cut off all funding until they get the hell out of the way.

Yeah starve em out till the damn Indians give in, Colonel Custer would be proud.
Brass Monkey
Lord of the Board

Post by Brass Monkey »

Frisk wrote:The majority of british columbian's (including indigenous communities and leaders) understand that the pipeline needs to be built in order to keep BC and its economy moving forward. It's shameful that a tiny group of looney tunes can disrupt democracy.

There’s no democracy within that indian bad if it doesn’t gather a community consensus but rather signs off on the benefit of chief and council, that’s called corruption.
Fancy
Insanely Prolific

Post by Fancy »

Brass Monkey wrote:RCMP is saddling up to commence a raid on the Wet’suwet’en First Nations for protecting their sovereign and unceded land from federal development.

From what I understand, the RCMP have been asked to take action because of an injunction. So what have those people that were filed against done about the injunction?
Truths can be backed up by facts - do you have any?
Fancy this, Fancy that and by the way, T*t for Tat
Brass Monkey
Lord of the Board

Post by Brass Monkey »

erinmore3775 wrote:Like GB and Seewood, this type of protest annoys me to no end. Splinter groups do not represent the entire indigenous nation. The Gitimd'en are one of five clans that make up the Wet'suwet'en. While the Supreme Court of Canada confirmed the Indigenous nation's land rights and title had never been extinguished, the elected leaders of Wet'suwet'en have signed an agreement with Coastal GasLink to allow the pipeline to proceed.

https://www.northislandgazette.com/news/all-20-first-nations-sign-coastal-gaslink-pipeline-agreement/

Coastal GasLink president Rick Gateman announced that all 20 First Nations groups along the length of the Coastal GasLink pipeline have now signed a project agreement...Support for the agreements comes from the elected leaders of the 20 Indigenous bands as well as from several traditional and hereditary leaders within these communities,

Haisla Nation Chief Councillor Crystal Smith said the council is “...happy to celebrate Coastal GasLink’s major milestone....First Nations in Northern B.C. have a real opportunity to work together to build benefits for each of our communities, which respects Aboriginal rights and title, separate from the political realm,” said Smith. “This announcement from Coastal GasLink is an example of that opportunity.”

The blockage of the Coastal GasLink construction right of way is illegal. Any comparison to what happened at Oka is a total misrepresentation. What is happening here is a disgruntled few, who disagree with their elected leaders, and receive their band rights through those elected leaders, have taken the law into their own hands. Hopefully, they this enjoy their five seconds of fame and then peacefully disband to enjoy the benefits negotiated by their elected leaders. If they do not disband, I hope they are arrested.

A judge filed a court order to the Mohawks to force them to allow a developer to build a golf course on Mohawk territory, the Mohawks won eventually and now we look back in shame that we called Indians terrorists for protecting a burial site from a project developer.

Now we do the same thing here, a judge filed an order that natives must comply by federal law to allow a pipeline and we call them unemployed, radicals, disrupters etc. Elected leaders and councillors don’t have a right to sell out the indian band, we had a Chief try and do that with the highway exchange and we booted him from the community. This isn’t a disgruntled few its several dozen of the communities most influential members aka hereditary chiefs, elders etc.
Brass Monkey
Lord of the Board

Post by Brass Monkey »

Fancy wrote:
Brass Monkey wrote:RCMP is saddling up to commence a raid on the Wet’suwet’en First Nations for protecting their sovereign and unceded land from federal development.

From what I understand, the RCMP have been asked to take action because of an injunction. So what have those people that were filed against done about the injunction?

Nothing can be done about the injunction, and these resisters are not wealthy people who can afford a legal battle against the feds. They are doing what they’ve been doing for centuries, standing their ground. The government was wrong to force an injunction at Oka and they’re teetering on that right here.
Fancy
Insanely Prolific

Post by Fancy »

Karen Ogen-Toews is currently the CEO of the First Nations LNG Alliance, which held a gathering Tuesday in Prince Rupert.

She says while members of the Wet'suwet'en Hereditary Chiefs continue efforts to halt construction of the Coastal GasLink Pipeline, the elected band council has signed agreements with the pipeline's builder -- TransCanada Corporation -- which she says will provide employment opportunities for First Nations all along the pipeline route.

http://www.iheartradio.ca/ez-rock/ez-ro ... -1.8627196
Fancy
Insanely Prolific

Post by Fancy »

Brass Monkey wrote:Nothing can be done about the injunction, and these resisters are not wealthy people who can afford a legal battle against the feds.

Those involved were looking at legal options but last I heard they hadn't heard from their lawyers. There must have been something in the news by now but I just haven't found it.
vegas1500
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by vegas1500 »

They are doing what they’ve been doing for centuries, standing their ground. The government was wrong to force an injunction at Oka and they’re teetering on that right here.

Just because something was right 100-200 years ago doesn’t make it right today. Times change........maybe they should
vegas1500
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by vegas1500 »

Brass Monkey wrote:
Rider59 wrote:No Federal Laws, no Federal money. Cut off all funding until they get the hell out of the way.

Yeah starve em out till the damn Indians give in, Colonel Custer would be proud.

So would a lot of hard working, tax paying Canadians.
featfan
Guru

Post by featfan »

Brass Monkey"[quote="Brass Monkey wrote:RCMP is saddling up to commence a raid on the Wet’suwet’en First Nations for protecting their sovereign and unceded land from federal development.
[/quote]

So when are the 1st nations going to go from being a Victim to a Victor?
Do we have to put up with this crap for another 100 years?
Last edited by featfan on Jan 6th, 2019, 4:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Brass Monkey
Lord of the Board

Post by Brass Monkey »

vegas1500 wrote:
So would a lot of hard working, tax paying Canadians.

Hardworking taxpayers stood by residential schools too, they actually funded it, maybe their judgement hasn’t been so friendly to natives. To clarify, you would support starving this community if they don’t comply with federal law?

Return to “B.C.”