An Act of War; Oka Crisis Part 2?

Queen K
Queen of the Castle

Re: An Act of War; Oka Crisis Part 2?

Post by Queen K »

Eventually the fact is that not one single faction here will be entirely happy with any outcome.
As WW3 develops, no one is going to be dissing the "preppers." What have you done?
dontrump
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by dontrump »

Queen K wrote:Eventually the fact is that not one single faction here will be entirely happy with any outcome.

the main outcome here is that's a win for the rest of us ;;Finally indians are actually obeying the rule of law;;its been a long time since we have seen any civil obedience from these people
Veovis
Guru

Post by Veovis »

Queen K wrote:Eventually the fact is that not one single faction here will be entirely happy with any outcome.

No single faction is ever happy. Often a majority isn't happy and they change it at the next election....sometimes the majority is happy but the minority gets the attention for some reason.

We need to differentiate between the situations, instead of emotions.
Smurf
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Smurf »

This sounds good to me. If they obey the injunction and leave the barricades down while the police let them keep their lodge everyone is a winner for the time being. Time for all outsiders to shut up and let them work out their problems without outside interference.
Consider how hard it is to change yourself and you'll understand what little chance you have of changing others.

The happiest of people don't necessarily have the best of everything, they just make the most of everything that comes their way.
dontrump
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by dontrump »

Smurf wrote:This sounds good to me. If they obey the injunction and leave the barricades down while the police let them keep their lodge everyone is a winner for the time being. Time for all outsiders to shut up and let them work out their problems without outside interference.

Let them work out there problems?? makes no sense as the problems in this case are both party problems
If the police did not finally enforce the law in this case nothing would ever be proceeding in a more orderly fashion
I don't think your understanding the case here
Brass Monkey
Lord of the Board

Post by Brass Monkey »

dontrump wrote:

the main outcome here is that's a win for the rest of us ;;Finally indians are actually obeying the rule of law;;its been a long time since we have seen any civil obedience from these people

And people wonder where the us vs them mentality comes from....I am joyous knowing my generation no longer thinks like you do
“I have reason to believe that the agents as a whole … are doing all they can, by refusing food until the Indians are on the verge of starvation, to reduce the expense." - Sir John A. MacDonald
bob vernon
Lord of the Board

Post by bob vernon »

So the elected chiefs approved the pipeline. It was easy to get them to sign on. It was done the same way that it's been done since the first fur was sold for a few beads. Only this time it was "which truck do you want? Ford, Dodge, or Chevy?" The big mistake was that the Feds and the pipeline company forgot to ask the hereditary chiefs the same question. Once they buy out these hereditary chiefs, the line will go ahead. It will all turn out to be a non-event in a few months. All will be forgotten by the time the election comes. And Justin can continue to be all things to all people and work both sides of the fence.

"He's an environmentalist! He's an industrialist! He's two, two leaders in one!"
The Green Barbarian
Insanely Prolific

Post by The Green Barbarian »

Smurf wrote:This sounds good to me. If they obey the injunction and leave the barricades down while the police let them keep their lodge everyone is a winner for the time being. Time for all outsiders to shut up and let them work out their problems without outside interference.

Exactly.

I am old enough to remember Oka, and this was no Oka. The OP was being horribly disingenuous to even go there. This was an engineered "protest" by anti-pipeline foreign interests, and everyone got played, again.
"The woke narcissists who make up the progressive left are characterized by an absolute lack of such conscience, but are experts at exploiting its presence in others." - Jordan Peterson
Brass Monkey
Lord of the Board

Post by Brass Monkey »

The Green Barbarian wrote:
Exactly.

I am old enough to remember Oka, and this was no Oka. The OP was being horribly disingenuous to even go there. This was an engineered "protest" by anti-pipeline foreign interests, and everyone got played, again.

Do you have proof that there was some sort of monetary or material incentive for the protesters being provided by outside influences? Every single time someone protests against industrialization you create some sort of bogeyman to blame it on.
“I have reason to believe that the agents as a whole … are doing all they can, by refusing food until the Indians are on the verge of starvation, to reduce the expense." - Sir John A. MacDonald
The Green Barbarian
Insanely Prolific

Post by The Green Barbarian »

Brass Monkey wrote:Every single time someone protests against industrialization you create some sort of bogeyman to blame it on.

Actually no, I don't blame "bogeymen", I blame the scum that are funding the lunatics that are protesting. It's funny though, that there seems to be a never-ending supply of stooges and boneheads that are willing to go out and protest the dumbest things possible, just like this "protest" ended up not being about "land rights", but just stupidity surrounding the man-made climate change myth. There are professional protestors out there too - you can choose to put your head in the sand, or more likely, just remain deliberately obtuse, because you agree with these People. That's your choice.
"The woke narcissists who make up the progressive left are characterized by an absolute lack of such conscience, but are experts at exploiting its presence in others." - Jordan Peterson
Fancy
Insanely Prolific

Post by Fancy »

Aren't some professional protesters called that because they're unemployed? How do they get around?
Truths can be backed up by facts - do you have any?
Fancy this, Fancy that and by the way, T*t for Tat
pentona
Übergod

Post by pentona »

Fancy wrote:Aren't some professional protesters called that because they're unemployed? How do they get around?

How do they get around? Well, of course they are all driving Electric vehicles; nothing gasoline powered whatsoever. Of course they might just need Site C in the future to power all the electric devices. What a farce these protesters are.
Glacier
The Pilgrim

Post by Glacier »

This is why conflicts with First Nations often seem insoluble

It might not seem immediately evident, but it’s possible the confrontation that has been taking place in a remote northern area of British Columbia will prove to be an important moment in Canada’s long, difficult struggle to come to terms with First Nations bands.

The situation offers a distillation of the dilemma that often makes relations with natives seem insoluble. That is, how can you reach agreements with a community that can’t agree with itself? The dispute between Coastal GasLink, a subsidiary of TransCanada Corp., and some elements of the Wet’suwet’en Nation, rests not with the gas company, the government, the police, the courts or any of the people doing their best to meet all required parameters for dealing fairly and equitably with First Nations. It’s an argument between one set of native leaders and another.
"No one has the right to apologize for something they did not do, and no one has the right to accept an apology if the wrong was not done to them."
- Douglas Murray
Urban Cowboy
Guru

Post by Urban Cowboy »

dontrump wrote:

Brass Monkey wrote:
And people wonder where the us vs them mentality comes from...I am joyous knowing my generation no longer thinks like you do

Makes me feel all warm and fuzzy that you believe that. [icon_lol2.gif] Pity your posts indicate otherwise.
“Not All Those Who Wander Are Lost" - Tolkien
Brass Monkey
Lord of the Board

Post by Brass Monkey »

Urban Cowboy wrote:
Makes me feel all warm and fuzzy that you believe that. [icon_lol2.gif] Pity your posts indicate otherwise.

Have yet to come across anyone within 5 years of my age make such blatantly offensive and generalizing comments, working st the steel mill for 2 years among 40/50/60 year olds it was a daily occurrence. I’m confident in my generation. Then again with the age of technology anybody can try and be as edgy and offensive as they want with no repercussions thanks to anonymity.

Return to “B.C.”