Conservationists want protection on old-growth forests

Conservationists want protection on old-growth forests

Postby oneh2obabe » Jan 13th, 2019, 6:01 am

VANCOUVER - Conservationists in British Columbia are pushing for protections on an area of old-growth forests they describe as "Canada's most magnificent."

The grove is located on Crown land in the San Juan River Valley near Port Renfrew on southern Vancouver Island in the unceded territory of the Pacheedaht First Nation band.

The 13-hectare grove of immense old-growth Sitka spruce and big-leaf maples draped in hanging mosses and ferns was first located in October and explored again in late December, said Ken Wu, executive director of the Endangered Ecosystems Alliance.

"It is probably the most spectacular and beautiful old growth forest I've ever seen and I've explored a lot of old growth forests," Wu said. "(The trees) look shaggy because they've got all this hanging mosses and ferns on their branches. So they look like ancient prehistoric creatures."

BMT (1).png

https://www.msn.com/en-ca/news/canada/c ... spartandhp
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Dance as if no one's watching, sing as if no one's listening, and live everyday as if it were your last.

Life is not about waiting for the storm to pass. It's about learning to dance in the rain.

Because_They_Lie likes this post.
oneh2obabe
feistres Goruchaf y Bwrdd

Liked in: 7817 posts

Re: Conservationists want protection on old-growth forests

Postby seewood » Jan 13th, 2019, 9:29 am

Think that stand is in a first nations wood lot...

The B.C. Ministry of Forests said in a statement that the grove is contained in a woodlot operated by Pacheedaht Forestry Ltd., and there is no imminent logging planned.
I am not wealthy but I am rich
seewood
Übergod

Liked in: 1654 posts

Postby hobbyguy » Jan 13th, 2019, 6:55 pm

From the picture, it certainly is NOT "Canada's most magnificent". I have seen many stands on Haida Gwaii that dwarf that, and I can think of one for sure that not only dwarfs that, but is far more "magical" (it is in a canyon, and has never been touched).
Anyone but Scheer - career pols are know nothings.

Because_They_Lie likes this post.
hobbyguy
Walks on Forum Water

Liked in: 10915 posts

Postby seewood » Jan 13th, 2019, 7:07 pm

Pic is of a Maple that has a long branch... big whoop.

^^^ Like you I have seen some pretty impressive trees.
Including one I cut ( Cy) from the Whistler area that was 13 feet two inches in diameter at the cut.

Seeing Sitka Spruce come out of the ground tall and straight like a crop of real large stove pipes is pretty impressive.
I am not wealthy but I am rich
seewood
Übergod

Liked in: 1654 posts

Return to B.C.