Vancouver City declares Climate Emergency

Re: Vancouver City declares Climate Emergency

Postby twobits » Jan 17th, 2019, 8:04 pm

JLives wrote:Good. They're a coastal city and it IS an emergency.

Wow. And you were a Castanet moderator. You would benefit from research into some geography. Specifically topographical maps. If you did you might understand how stupid it is to suggest that Vancouver is at huge risk of even a meter of sea rise.
But that does not matter cuz you drank the koolaid.
Delta, Richmond.....yup. But they don't have a bunch of eco greens declaring an emergency either. So if these well populated areas are not running for the hills for the tsunami, and they are smarter than the average millennial residing in Vancouver....why are you spreading fear? Cuz that is what you are, a fear monger.
The biggest threat to metro Vancouver is an earth quake, but go ahead and divert everyone's attention to electric cars instead of investing in the biggest threat.
Do not argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.

The problem with the gene pool is that there is no lifeguard.

2 people like this post.
twobits
Guru

Liked in: 3658 posts

Postby OKkayak » Jan 18th, 2019, 12:21 am

It was raining in Vancouver today :panic:
OKkayak
Grand Pooh-bah

Liked in: 2112 posts

Postby hobbyguy » Jan 18th, 2019, 3:17 pm

spooker wrote:We're not changing our ways in even the small ways that have been set out so it must come to this ... not surprised and I won't be complaining about it ... we could easily make healthier choices that would benefit the state of the world if we'd realize what "convenience" is doing to us ...

Ummm, the problem is that as long as know nothing far left loons keep playing such silly games as the Vancouver city council, real actions that are win-win, like the Kilgali amendment, and like the "right to repair" movement don't get the proper attention.

The "right to repair" movement will do 10 times as much as all this Vancouver far left loonery. https://www.bbc.com/news/science-environment-46797396

"It is frustrating: you buy a new appliance then just after the warranty runs out, it gives up the ghost.

You can’t repair it and can’t find anyone else to at a decent price, so it joins the global mountain of junk.

You’re forced to buy a replacement, which fuels climate change from the greenhouse gases released in the manufacturing process.

But help is at hand, because citizens in the EU and parts of the USA will soon get a "right to repair" - of sorts."

Consider this fact in that light: 50% of the lifetime GHG emissions from the average automobile are in the manufacture and delivery the day you buy it. All the fuel you use for the rest of its lifetime is the other half.
Anyone but Scheer - career pols are know nothings.

Smurf likes this post.
hobbyguy
Guru

Liked in: 10430 posts

Postby twobits » Jan 18th, 2019, 6:55 pm

hobbyguy wrote:Ummm, the problem is that as long as know nothing far left loons keep playing such silly games as the Vancouver city council, real actions that are win-win, like the Kilgali amendment, and like the "right to repair" movement don't get the proper attention.

The "right to repair" movement will do 10 times as much as all this Vancouver far left loonery. https://www.bbc.com/news/science-environment-46797396

"It is frustrating: you buy a new appliance then just after the warranty runs out, it gives up the ghost.

You can’t repair it and can’t find anyone else to at a decent price, so it joins the global mountain of junk.

You’re forced to buy a replacement, which fuels climate change from the greenhouse gases released in the manufacturing process.

But help is at hand, because citizens in the EU and parts of the USA will soon get a "right to repair" - of sorts."

Consider this fact in that light: 50% of the lifetime GHG emissions from the average automobile are in the manufacture and delivery the day you buy it. All the fuel you use for the rest of its lifetime is the other half.

I am completely all in on this initiative. I am actually embarrassed I was not aware of it. I have bycthed and bellyached for decades about how we have transformed from Bic lighters being disposable to virtually everything we purchase.
We don't "fix" anything anymore because the manufacturers have made parts too expensive to do so. If parts were actually sold at a cost that reflected the cost of their production plus a margin, we would have an industry of service techs that would create millions of jobs. My children used to be embarrassed by my zealousness to repair rather than buy new. Now as young adults, they do the same and when they are stumped....at my door with the "daddy fix?" look on their face.
Just this day.....yes today, I had the experience of requiring an electrical part. Normally an item that could be purchased as a one off, stand alone part. It was available for $587.00. So and so had bought out so and so, so I was basically fcked. Fortunately, the counter person at the electrical wholesaler I was at suggested just buying the whole board and metal box assembly for for $235.00 and just removing the electrical contactor I required out of it. Thank you Mr counter guy.
The real lesson here is that consumers are being treated poorly. We are sold cheap chit that is expected to break and then the parts that do break the manufacturer will only supply at a price that makes repair with the tech labor uneconomical.
Sign me up and tell me where I might donate and /or contribute to the "right to repair movement".
Do not argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.

The problem with the gene pool is that there is no lifeguard.

2 people like this post.
twobits
Guru

Liked in: 3658 posts

Postby ninetyninepct » Jan 18th, 2019, 8:21 pm

seewood wrote:Can't wait to hear from council their " climate change reversing" ideas.

Taxes. More and higher taxes. although Trudeau, barbie and Horgan deliberately hide the numbers, they claim taxes allow them to control climate. THAT means they know what dollar figure will enable them to stop climates from changing. That in turns implies that there is some dollar amount of Carbon Tax that will enable them to reverse climate change. Why not just start at that number?

I get no response, but what "perfect climate" do they want and where? Cairo, London. Edmonton, Moscow, Perth, New Delhi, Addis, Bahrain? Where. C'mon you enviro-fascists, let us in on the secret. Tides, Dogwood, 360.org, Leadnow, Goodearth, what is the magic number?

Waiting.

Waiting.

Maybe they should get in touch with the organizations that write their paycheques. Soros, the Rockefellers, the Packard Foundation, screwzuki and other Canada haters who spend millions controlling Trudeau and manipulating the useful idiots.

twobits likes this post.
ninetyninepct
Fledgling

Liked in: 215 posts

Postby spooker » Jan 18th, 2019, 10:06 pm

ninetyninepct wrote:
seewood wrote:Can't wait to hear from council their " climate change reversing" ideas.

Taxes. More and higher taxes. although Trudeau, barbie and Horgan deliberately hide the numbers, they claim taxes allow them to control climate. THAT means they know what dollar figure will enable them to stop climates from changing. That in turns implies that there is some dollar amount of Carbon Tax that will enable them to reverse climate change. Why not just start at that number?

I get no response, but what "perfect climate" do they want and where? Cairo, London. Edmonton, Moscow, Perth, New Delhi, Addis, Bahrain? Where. C'mon you enviro-fascists, let us in on the secret. Tides, Dogwood, 360.org, Leadnow, Goodearth, what is the magic number?

Waiting.

Waiting.

Maybe they should get in touch with the organizations that write their paycheques. Soros, the Rockefellers, the Packard Foundation, screwzuki and other Canada haters who spend millions controlling Trudeau and manipulating the useful idiots.

You realize that a majority of the taxes we pay go to support the vehicles we drive around that emit a large proportion of the GHGs that are contributing to climate change? Transportation infrastructure is a huge part of each city's annual budget ... maintenance and "wider" roads ...
--
Wise men speak because they have something to say; fools because they have to say something. -- Plato
spooker
Übergod

Liked in: 823 posts

Postby GordonH » Jan 18th, 2019, 10:17 pm

Maybe the GVRD should be doing more to get fuel cell vehicles onto the roads in the area.
Number of vehicle manufacturers are making them & more coming on line, that includes transport trucks.
When you have to start compromising yourself and your morals for the people around you, it’s probably time to change the people around you.
GordonH
Buddha of the Board

Liked in: 8433 posts
Location: Second star to the right and straight on 'til morning

Postby spooker » Jan 18th, 2019, 10:40 pm

GordonH wrote:Maybe the GVRD should be doing more to get fuel cell vehicles onto the roads in the area.
Number of vehicle manufacturers are making them & more coming on line, that includes transport trucks.

Currently in California the fuel cell vehicles cost to fill up is equivalent to $5.60 per gallon of gas ... won't happen soon enough, we started way too late
--
Wise men speak because they have something to say; fools because they have to say something. -- Plato
spooker
Übergod

Liked in: 823 posts

Postby hobbyguy » Jan 19th, 2019, 12:35 pm

spooker wrote:
GordonH wrote:Maybe the GVRD should be doing more to get fuel cell vehicles onto the roads in the area.

Currently in California the fuel cell vehicles cost to fill up is equivalent to $5.60 per gallon of gas ... won't happen soon enough, we started way too late

Think it through. IF the stupid far left Vancouver council and nimno mayor had spent the bike lane money on dedicated bus lanes - they would be miles and miles ahead, there would be less traffic gridlock and a more viable and efficient option. But oh no! 90 year old grampa gets to pay for a stupid bike lane instead! Meanwhile, the buses are stuck in traffic and grampa can't get to his doctor's appointment!

twobits likes this post.
hobbyguy
Guru

Postby hobbyguy » Jan 19th, 2019, 12:52 pm

spooker wrote:

Ummm... you guys do realize that California massively subsidizes hydrogen??? https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2018-03-05/california-should-focus-on-electric-cars-not-hydrogen-fuel

Ummm... you do realize that in the US, hydrogen is almost exclusively made from natural gas? So wouldn't it make more sense to simply switch to LNG or CNG? http://www.ecoglobalfuels.com/news/how-much-hydrogen-produced-united-states

"Steam Reforming Is a Widely-Used Method of Hydrogen Production

Steam reforming is currently the least expensive method of producing hydrogen and accounts for about 95% of the hydrogen produced in the United States. This method is used in industries to separate hydrogen atoms from carbon atoms in methane (CH4). But the steam reforming process results in greenhouse gas emissions that are linked with global warming."

Oh well, never mind thinking it through... it sounds good, just like Germany's push for "biodiesel" that wound up causing deforestation and killing orangutans...
Last edited by hobbyguy on Jan 19th, 2019, 1:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.

twobits likes this post.
hobbyguy
Guru

Postby OKkayak » Jan 19th, 2019, 12:57 pm

hobbyguy wrote:
Think it through. IF the stupid far left Vancouver council and nimno mayor had spent the bike lane money on dedicated bus lanes - they would be miles and miles ahead, there would be less traffic gridlock and a more viable and efficient option. But oh no! 90 year old grampa gets to pay for a stupid bike lane instead! Meanwhile, the buses are stuck in traffic and grampa can't get to his doctor's appointment!

Vancouver already does have dedicated bus lanes, Hastings, Broadway use the parking lane as a bus lane during morning and afternoon rush hours, you could do similar with a few other routes but options are limited.
Last edited by OKkayak on Jan 19th, 2019, 1:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
OKkayak
Grand Pooh-bah

Postby hobbyguy » Jan 19th, 2019, 1:08 pm

OKkayak wrote:
hobbyguy wrote:

Vancouver already does have dedicated bus lanes, Hastings, Granville, Oak, Broadway all use the parking lane as a bus lane during morning and afternoon rush hours. I doubt the businesses in Vancouver would want to loose that parking space for the rest of the day as well.

Ummm... I am speaking of true dedicated bus lanes, like the ones that were planned for the Massey bridge. 24/7 dedicated to buses only. And given that stupid bike lanes already trash up the parking, wouldn't dedicated bus lanes serve more people - and bring more business?? Yup.
hobbyguy
Guru

Postby OKkayak » Jan 19th, 2019, 1:16 pm

hobbyguy wrote:Ummm... I am speaking of true dedicated bus lanes, like the ones that were planned for the Massey bridge. 24/7 dedicated to buses only. And given that stupid bike lanes already trash up the parking, wouldn't dedicated bus lanes serve more people - and bring more business?? Yup.

Give me some examples. Which streets would you put a true dedicated bus lane on and which streets have the bike lanes removed an equivalent amount of business parking as a dedicated bus route would? Not disagreeing with you, I'm just trying to get a visualization.
OKkayak
Grand Pooh-bah

Postby GordonH » Jan 19th, 2019, 3:07 pm

Personally if choices are between these 2 types of vehicles.
1) EV
2) fuel cell

I would take #2 every time
When you have to start compromising yourself and your morals for the people around you, it’s probably time to change the people around you.
GordonH
Buddha of the Board

Liked in: 8433 posts
Location: Second star to the right and straight on 'til morning

Postby Jlabute » Jan 19th, 2019, 4:26 pm

Anyone try a gofundme on the basis of climate vulnerability? See if there really is any sympathy or belief for the cause.
There are 7600+ gofundme campaigns to save the earth from climate change. Some need only $700. I was raised being told one sucker was born every minute, but now I realize the number is at least twice that.
Justin Trudeau? NO! Trust in Judo!

3 people like this post.
Jlabute
Grand Pooh-bah

Liked in: 1539 posts

PreviousNext

Return to B.C.