Consumers Ripped off By BC Hydro

Consumers Ripped off By BC Hydro

Postby dontrump » Jan 17th, 2019, 12:23 pm

WHY?????? are we paying on average (2 tiers) around 10-11 cents or more per KWH when in alberta u only pay 6 cents

and thats GUARANTEED for 3 years

csm likes this post.
dontrump
Grand Pooh-bah
 
Posts: 2185
Likes: 478 posts
Liked in: 720 posts
Joined: Feb 20th, 2016, 11:39 am

Re: Consumers Ripped off By BC Hydro

Postby seewood » Jan 17th, 2019, 1:16 pm

One thing might be , we are subsidizing the windy nonsense as well as the run-of-river projects implemented years ago.

Oh, and another thing, I believe Hydro gives the government of the day a " dividend" every year.
I am not wealthy but I am rich
seewood
Übergod
 
Posts: 1437
Likes: 3430 posts
Liked in: 1440 posts
Joined: May 29th, 2013, 2:08 pm

Re: Consumers Ripped off By BC Hydro

Postby GordonH » Jan 17th, 2019, 1:35 pm

dontrump wrote:WHY?????? are we paying on average (2 tiers) around 10-11 cents or more per KWH when in alberta u only pay 6 cents

and thats GUARANTEED for 3 years


The Alberta government capped electricity price at .068 cent until May 2021.
https://www.alberta.ca/electricity-pric ... ction.aspx
When you have to start compromising yourself and your morals for the people around you, it’s probably time to change the people around you.
User avatar
GordonH
Buddha of the Board
 
Posts: 22518
Likes: 2696 posts
Liked in: 8435 posts
Joined: Oct 4th, 2008, 7:21 pm
Location: Second star to the right and straight on 'til morning

Re: Consumers Ripped off By BC Hydro

Postby spooker » Jan 17th, 2019, 1:45 pm

GordonH wrote:
dontrump wrote:WHY?????? are we paying on average (2 tiers) around 10-11 cents or more per KWH when in alberta u only pay 6 cents

and thats GUARANTEED for 3 years


The Alberta government capped electricity price at .068 cent until May 2021.
https://www.alberta.ca/electricity-pric ... ction.aspx


That's a good link GordonH ... I wonder if that was in response to the oil industry heading downhill and wanting to help keep people in the province ...

When you see a comparison like this: https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/calgary/electricity-costs-alberta-1.4600237 I'd say that here in BC we aren't getting the rough end of the stick ... look at the Bay Area that pays almost $0.15 per kwh ... eastern Canada looks significantly higher on average too ...

Sure, we can find lower prices but is that the rule or the exception? In this case I'd say the exception ... our hydro systems are pretty competitive versus carbon-fired systems that require more maintenance and fuel ...
--
Wise men speak because they have something to say; fools because they have to say something. -- Plato
User avatar
spooker
Übergod
 
Posts: 1390
Likes: 1079 posts
Liked in: 823 posts
Joined: May 12th, 2009, 5:18 pm
Location: Kelowna, BC, CA

Re: Consumers Ripped off By BC Hydro

Postby LordEd » Jan 17th, 2019, 1:55 pm

http://www.hydroquebec.com/data/documen ... prices.pdf

AVERAGE PRICES FOR A RESIDENTIAL CUSTOMER (IN ¢/KWH)1,2,3
2014 2015 2016 2017 2018
Canadian Cities
Calgary, AB 13.41 11.66 10.40 10.45 15.79
Vancouver, BC 9.71 10.29 10.70 11.08 11.42

Interesting... I found they also pay on top of the limited rate distribution and other fees, but don't have a solid answer how much they are yet.
I may disapprove of what you say, but I will defend your right to be punished for it. (User profile -> Search user’s posts)
https://xkcd.com/1357/
LordEd
Lord of the Board
 
Posts: 3876
Likes: 2 posts
Liked in: 2461 posts
Joined: Apr 3rd, 2008, 9:22 am

Re: Consumers Ripped off By BC Hydro

Postby dontrump » Jan 17th, 2019, 4:35 pm

LordEd wrote:http://www.hydroquebec.com/data/documents-donnees/pdf/comparison-electricity-prices.pdf

AVERAGE PRICES FOR A RESIDENTIAL CUSTOMER (IN ¢/KWH)1,2,3
2014 2015 2016 2017 2018
Canadian Cities
Calgary, AB 13.41 11.66 10.40 10.45 15.79
Vancouver, BC 9.71 10.29 10.70 11.08 11.42

Interesting... I found they also pay on top of the limited rate distribution and other fees, but don't have a solid answer how much they are yet.


well all I can tell u is in calgary right now u can get power for 6 cents and guaranted for 5 years and thats a fact
there are some cheaper rates but fluxuate

I seriously doubt there paying 15.79 cents
dontrump
Grand Pooh-bah
 
Posts: 2185
Likes: 478 posts
Liked in: 720 posts
Joined: Feb 20th, 2016, 11:39 am

Re: Consummers Raped By BC Hydro

Postby hobbyguy » Jan 17th, 2019, 5:21 pm

^^ you are forgetting the transmission and balancing pool charges.

Alberta electricity bills are different. https://open.alberta.ca/dataset/34a19aae-098d-4cb0-94c4-8b4ee10610e4/resource/800b313f-fef8-43ed-b508-bc5a649d0819/download/fact-shee-reading-your-bill.pdf

My Fortis bill has 3 lines:

- the basic customer charge
- the electricity price delivered
- GST

That's it.

Alberta bills:

- retailer charge for electricity use
- administration fee
- transmission charge
- distribution charge
- local access fee
- balancing pool rider (which will be a charge, not a credit in 2018)
-the rider charge (if you chose a guaranteed plan)

So the electricity rate charge from BC Hydro or Fortis is not all comparable.

The actual total charge (no GST) on the "average bill" shown is about $.19/kWh compared to $.1298/kWh I paid Fortis on my last bill - including GST.

Yup, the "cap" rate would bring that Alberta "average bill" down to about $.17/kWh....

But remember, the "cap" is a government subsidy - which taxpayers end up paying anyway... or in Alberta and Ontario cases at present - borrowing to be paid later (a few times over).
Anyone but Scheer - career pols are know nothings.

ninetyninepct likes this post.
hobbyguy
Guru
 
Posts: 9658
Likes: 2668 posts
Liked in: 10432 posts
Joined: Jan 20th, 2011, 9:10 pm

Re: Consumers Ripped off By BC Hydro

Postby JagXKR » Jan 18th, 2019, 6:07 am

Reminds me of booking a vacation when one company had a lower advertised price to the same hotel at the same time. That was until you added the taxes and fees. The 2 companies used different formulas for the taxes and fees but in the end the total price was lower for the company that had the higher advertised price. It's all in the final price where you can make a real comparison not the rate quoted.
I do know someone in Alberta and have discussed this very subject. Fact is we pay less than Alberta.
Don't be fooled by the salesman's pitch.
Why use a big word when a diminutive one will suffice.

2 people like this post.
User avatar
JagXKR
Übergod
 
Posts: 1500
Likes: 3 posts
Liked in: 1351 posts
Joined: Jun 19th, 2011, 6:25 am
Location: Penticton

Re: Consumers Ripped off By BC Hydro

Postby hobbyguy » Jan 18th, 2019, 3:07 pm

Worth noting that all the complexity that into an Alberta electricity shows why advocates of wind and solar get confused. They see the BC bills, and figure they are paying just for electricity. Nope. All those other line items go into it. You could drop the Alberta electricity "rate" to $.04 and the bill wouldn't go down all that much, because electricity itself is just a small part of the bill.

A good thing about the "Alberta way" is that IF they were stupid enough to with residential solar FITs, the payback to solar virtue signalers would be max $.068/kWh (which is still dumb), instead of around $.11/kWh in BC - which is totally stupid. The real value to the grid of solar electricity is tops $.01/kWh. IF we actually paid what it is worth, only real crackpots would bother with putting Chinese solar panels on their roofs.
Anyone but Scheer - career pols are know nothings.

Urban Cowboy likes this post.
hobbyguy
Guru
 
Posts: 9658
Likes: 2668 posts
Liked in: 10432 posts
Joined: Jan 20th, 2011, 9:10 pm

Re: Consumers Ripped off By BC Hydro

Postby csm » Feb 16th, 2019, 1:16 pm

dontrump wrote:WHY?????? are we paying on average (2 tiers) around 10-11 cents or more per KWH when in alberta u only pay 6 cents

and thats GUARANTEED for 3 years


Because we live in BC and are considered the wallet of Canada - and since we grow most of the weed too, people are too busy getting stoned to give a *bleep*.
Apathy = the Death of Freedom - be accountable or be a slave!
csm
Board Meister
 
Posts: 409
Likes: 517 posts
Liked in: 390 posts
Joined: Apr 26th, 2005, 1:14 pm
Location: Kelowna


Return to B.C.

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: CommonCrawl [Bot], cr125 and 0 guests