More really sick individual/s

Re: More really sick individual/s

Postby Fancy » Jan 21st, 2019, 2:32 pm

Robyn Radcliffe, the executive director of the society says she believes a farm animal was probably euthanized and not disposed of correctly, meaning the eagles ate it and were poisioned as a result.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/british- ... -1.4986171
Fancy this, Fancy that and by the way, T*t for Tat
Fancy
Grand Pilgrim

Liked in: 7755 posts

Postby GordonH » Jan 21st, 2019, 2:47 pm

Fancy wrote:
Robyn Radcliffe, the executive director of the society says she believes a farm animal was probably euthanized and not disposed of correctly, meaning the eagles ate it and were poisioned as a result.

This is were places like the former McLeod's rendering plant between Vernon & Armstrong are useful. The smell is terrible
Last edited by GordonH on Jan 22nd, 2019, 10:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
When you have to start compromising yourself and your morals for the people around you, it’s probably time to change the people around you. John Spence
GordonH
Buddha of the Board

Liked in: 9083 posts
Location: Second star to the right and straight on 'til morning

Postby featfan » Jan 21st, 2019, 5:07 pm

I have a Bald Eagle hanging from my ceiling.
Got it many years ago.
It was one of four found on the shore North of Lake Okanagan Resort.
Fish and game ran a metal detector over it and said
"well it wasn't shot, do you want it".
I think they were all poisoned.
Had a friend taxidermy it for me.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
featfan
Übergod

Liked in: 989 posts

Postby Urban Cowboy » Jan 21st, 2019, 5:13 pm

Fancy wrote:

Well I'm no veterinarian, but if a farm animal needs to be euthanized, wouldn't it be wisest to shoot it, thereby avoiding any possible scenario such as this?
“A man is a success if he gets up in the morning and gets to bed at night, and in between he does what he wants to do.” -Bob Dylan
Urban Cowboy
Guru

Liked in: 7818 posts

Postby GordonH » Jan 21st, 2019, 5:23 pm

Fancy wrote:

Urban Cowboy wrote:Well I'm no veterinarian, but if a farm animal needs to be euthanized, wouldn't it be wisest to shoot it, thereby avoiding any possible scenario such as this?

We never euthanized any of our farm animals on the property, McLeod's and would pick up both alive or dead animals (meat was unusable for human consumption).
Last edited by GordonH on Jan 22nd, 2019, 10:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
When you have to start compromising yourself and your morals for the people around you, it’s probably time to change the people around you. John Spence
GordonH
Buddha of the Board

Liked in: 9083 posts
Location: Second star to the right and straight on 'til morning

Postby Urban Cowboy » Jan 21st, 2019, 5:30 pm

GordonH wrote:
Urban Cowboy wrote:Well I'm no veterinarian, but if a farm animal needs to be euthanized, wouldn't it be wisest to shoot it, thereby avoiding any possible scenario such as this?

We never euthanized any of our farm animals on the property, Marshalls would pick up both alive or dead animals (meat was unusable for human consumption).

Well that sounds acceptable too. I'm guessing when they say "euthanized" they are referring to some sort of lethal cocktail injection, am I right? Otherwise why would she be guessing that an improperly disposed of euthanized animal, is responsible for the eagle deaths?

If an animal was shot and left wherever, wouldn't nature run its course, just as it does with deer and other road kill?

I mean when police encounter a suffering animal they don't call a vet to come give it an injection, they just shoot it to put it out of its misery.
“A man is a success if he gets up in the morning and gets to bed at night, and in between he does what he wants to do.” -Bob Dylan
Urban Cowboy
Guru

Liked in: 7818 posts

Postby whitecandle » Jan 21st, 2019, 6:59 pm

Urban Cowboy wrote:I'm guessing when they say "euthanized" they are referring to some sort of lethal cocktail injection, am I right? Otherwise why would she be guessing that an improperly disposed of euthanized animal, is responsible for the eagle deaths?

oneh2obabe wrote:Secondary Pentobarbital Poisoning of Wildlife
Pentobarbital-euthanized Carcasses are Poisonous to Scavenging Animals!

Euthanasia by sodium pentobarbital injection is a humane way to end the life of a suffering animal, and is recommended for many species by the American Veterinary Medical Association (AVMA) Panel on Euthanasia. Ironically, this compassionate act can sometimes have the unintended consequence of causing the premature death of other animals. Each year a number of bald and golden eagles, other wildlife, and domestic dogs are intoxicated or killed after ingestion of pentobarbital residues in the tissue of exposed euthanized carcasses. Exposure of these carcasses is almost always the result of improper disposal

Eagle and other animal deaths have been reported in 16 different states throughout the U.S. as well as in Canada. In recent years at least 50 eagle poisoning incidents have been documented, accounting for the poisoning of 139 eagles in these cases alone.These birds had scavenged carcasses of euthanized farm animals or pet horses left out in the field, or small animal carcasses that were left unburied or otherwise exposed at landfills.

https://www.fws.gov/mountain-prairie/poison.pdf
Remember yesterday. Dream tomorrow. Live like crazy today.
whitecandle
Board Meister

Liked in: 118 posts

Previous

Return to B.C.