Political parties see donations drop

Political parties see donations drop

Postby Cactusflower » Feb 4th, 2019, 9:58 pm

https://www.castanet.net/news/BC/248484 ... tions-drop

It's about time the playing field was levelled, but the BC party that always relied heavily on corporate donations sure don't like it. Set the dryer on high heat for those crying towels!
Cactusflower
Lord of the Board

Liked in: 890 posts

Re: Political parties see donations drop

Postby LordEd » Feb 5th, 2019, 7:40 am

No, your donation to the liberal party has increased.
That means both the Liberals and New Democrats will receive just over $8.1 million over five years, while the Green party will get $3.4 million.
Doesn't that make you feel good that your money is going to them?
I may disapprove of what you say, but I will defend your right to be punished for it. (User profile -> Search user’s posts)
https://xkcd.com/1357/

3 people like this post.
LordEd
Lord of the Board

Liked in: 2438 posts

Postby Cactusflower » Feb 5th, 2019, 8:08 am

^^Doesn't bother me at all, since I know you'll be donating your tax dollars to the NDP and the Green Party as well.
Cactusflower
Lord of the Board

Postby Leifer » Feb 5th, 2019, 9:33 am

Good thread CF! (although I believe it was meant to troll Lib supporters)

It never hurts to remind everyone that Johnny boy lied to us all when he committed to not using tax payers funds to support political parties....and then he turned around and did just that. :swear:

Even Flaming Fingers was outraged (momentarily).
Two essential strategies for success.

1) Never reveal all you know
2)

5 people like this post.
Leifer
Board Meister

Liked in: 966 posts

Postby Smurf » Feb 5th, 2019, 9:57 am

Not only that the rules have been changed to give the Green Party official party status with reduced funding. That adds a double whammy to the cost for tax payers. The Greens didn't join the NDP because they wanted to or believed in them they were bought out with our money. Typical NDP *bleep*.
Consider how hard it is to change yourself and you'll understand what little chance you have of changing others.

The happiest of people don't necessarily have the best of everything, they just make the most of everything that comes their way.

3 people like this post.
Smurf
Guru

Liked in: 6216 posts

Postby Urban Cowboy » Feb 5th, 2019, 9:59 am

Leifer wrote:Good thread CF! (although I believe it was meant to troll Lib supporters)

It never hurts to remind everyone that Johnny boy lied to us all when he committed to not using tax payers funds to support political parties....and then he turned around and did just that. :swear:

You believe correctly! :up:
“Most people do not listen with the intent to understand. Most people listen with the intent to reply.” -Stephen R. Covey

4 people like this post.
Urban Cowboy
Lord of the Board

Liked in: 6491 posts

Postby Hassel99 » Feb 5th, 2019, 11:19 am

its odd you left out the part about union donations being banned and the NDP having the larger drop in donations.

Sorry to interrupt your agenda CF.

2 people like this post.
Hassel99
Lord of the Board

Liked in: 3142 posts

Postby Urban Cowboy » Feb 5th, 2019, 11:31 am

Hassel99 wrote:its odd you left out the part about union donations being banned and the NDP having the larger drop in donations.

You sure about that?

Article states the NDP took in 3.3 million in 2018, while the Liberals took in 2.4 million in 2018.
“Most people do not listen with the intent to understand. Most people listen with the intent to reply.” -Stephen R. Covey
Urban Cowboy
Lord of the Board

Postby Cactusflower » Feb 5th, 2019, 11:33 am

Leifer wrote:Good thread CF! (although I believe it was meant to troll Lib supporters)

Of course I knew that by providing that link, the BC Lib supporters would come out in full force. I really don't know what their problem is though. I'd much rather pay a few cents toward all parties having the same amount of money to spend on getting their messages out to voters than have one party saturate the airwaves with propaganda, as they have in the past.
Cactusflower
Lord of the Board

Postby Gone_Fishin » Feb 5th, 2019, 11:34 am

When is Horgan going to close the loophole he put in his legislation for big labour unions to keep contributing to the NDP?

MLA Stone Introduces Bill to Close Local Election Campaign Finance Loophole

Todd Stone
49 minutes ago

Last fall, all members of the Legislative Assembly supported amendments that removed big money from provincial and local elections by prohibiting union and corporate donations and capping individual contributions at $1,200 per year.

However, due to NDP incompetence, Elections BC ruled last week that a massive loophole exists in the rushed NDP amendments to the Local Election Campaign Financing Act which means that union and corporate donations are still allowed, and that there are no contribution limits as long as said donations are used to cover operational expenses.

In order to close this loophole and eliminate confusion, I introduced a private members bill. If the NDP doesn’t want to embrace my bill, that’s fine, but I encourage them to get on with a fix to this problem as soon as possible so that there is clarity in time for the local elections taking place little more than six months from now.

https://www.facebook.com/ToddGStone/vid ... 359919003/
Ecclesiastes 10:2 "A wise man’s heart inclines him to the right, but a fool’s heart to the left."
Get a high school drama teacher to run a country, and what do you get? High school drama.

2 people like this post.
Gone_Fishin
Lord of the Board

Liked in: 4289 posts

Postby LordEd » Feb 5th, 2019, 11:58 am

Cactusflower wrote:Of course I knew that by providing that link, the BC Lib supporters would come out in full force.
Yes. That's the definition of troll. Your whole post is an inflammatory dig even though the article itself is completely factual. Nowhere does it indicate any party is happy or unhappy about the revised funding.
I may disapprove of what you say, but I will defend your right to be punished for it. (User profile -> Search user’s posts)
https://xkcd.com/1357/

2 people like this post.
LordEd
Lord of the Board

Liked in: 2438 posts

Postby Cactusflower » Feb 5th, 2019, 12:28 pm

LordEd wrote:
Cactusflower wrote:Of course I knew that by providing that link, the BC Lib supporters would come out in full force.
Yes. That's the definition of troll. Your whole post is an inflammatory dig even though the article itself is completely factual. Nowhere does it indicate any party is happy or unhappy about the revised funding.

You must have been hiding under a rock for the past couple of years if you don't know how p.o.'d the BC Libs are about this.
Cactusflower
Lord of the Board

Postby Buckeye19 » Feb 5th, 2019, 12:38 pm

CF,

What exactly was unfair about one party resonating much more with voters and thus raising more money than another party?

5 people like this post.
Buckeye19
Board Meister

Liked in: 435 posts

Postby Cactusflower » Feb 5th, 2019, 12:55 pm

Buckeye19 wrote:CF,

What exactly was unfair about one party resonating much more with voters and thus raising more money than another party?

Resonating more with voters? On the contrary, they'd resonated more with corporations who used their big bucks to buy the political party most corrupt.
Cactusflower
Lord of the Board

Postby Urban Cowboy » Feb 5th, 2019, 12:59 pm

Cactusflower wrote:
Buckeye19 wrote:CF,

Resonating more with voters? On the contrary, they'd resonated more with corporations who used their big bucks to buy the political party most corrupt.

But apparently, unions buying the NDP, is perfectly acceptable in your world. [icon_lol2.gif]

5 people like this post.
Urban Cowboy
Lord of the Board

Next

Return to B.C.