New Budget coming Feb. 19

New Budget coming Feb. 19

Postby hobbyguy » Feb 5th, 2019, 12:34 pm

https://www.theglobeandmail.com/canada/british-columbia/article-bc-budget-will-test-ndp-green-alliance/

"Buoyed by the results of the Nanaimo by-election, B.C. Premier John Horgan says his minority NDP government has a renewed mandate to focus on services for people: Health care, education, child care and housing.

“Those are the things that people have been talking about on the doorstep for the past month, they have been talking about it for the past couple of years, and now they have a government that is going to do something about it,” Mr. Horgan told reporters moments after his party confirmed its victory.

What he didn’t mention is the ambitious clean energy agenda his government announced last December.

The next B.C. budget, which will be tabled Feb. 19, is supposed to deliver it all – making life more affordable for people, boosting services such as health care, and funding the many incentives and investments required to make the Clean BC climate plan take flight."

SNIP

"At this time last year, Green Leader Andrew Weaver was threatening to bring down the government over its pursuit of a liquefied natural gas industry. He only withdrew that threat last fall, after the NDP promised that the coming budget would focus on a clean energy agenda to counter the massive carbon footprint associated with the production of LNG.

But then the NDP won the Jan. 30 by-election handily, crushing the Greens in the process.

The two parties are bound by a formal agreement that allows the NDP to govern with a minority of votes in the legislature. But the by-election has left the Greens with less influence over that alliance, leading to new tensions between the two partners."

SNIP

"For a variety of reasons, from the pipeline debates to the looming debt challenges for government, the New Democrats may see this as an optimal time to head back to the polls. The Nanaimo by-election also demonstrated that the NDP’s campaign machinery is running smoothly, while both the Greens and the opposition Liberals are not ready for an election.

Mr. Weaver said it would be foolish for his party to try to pull the plug on the minority government right now. “We’re not going to trigger an election. We have our priorities and we are not willing to play brinkmanship games.”

Those priorities include a number of policy areas that happen to align with the NDP. “We campaigned on dealing with the issue of affordability, we campaigned very strongly on new funding for education and child care,” Mr. Weaver said. “We would be quite excited to see support in those directions. However, the government has committed to the Clean BC plan. And we will not be happy if that is not funded.”"
Anyone but Scheer - career pols are know nothings.
hobbyguy
Guru
 
Posts: 9658
Likes: 2668 posts
Liked in: 10432 posts
Joined: Jan 20th, 2011, 9:10 pm

Re: New Budget coming Feb. 19

Postby Urban Cowboy » Feb 5th, 2019, 12:47 pm

I'm not sure I'm following the gist of that story.

The NDP had that seat before, as the by election was to replace Krog (NDP) who moved to municipal politics. So they win the by election, and somehow they are now in a better position than before?

The Liberal candidate did much better in this by election, than in 2017 so they actually improved, whereas the Greens lost a lot of their Nanaimo vote share, and the NDP's was just marginally up from 2017 in an NDP stronghold. :135:

It's the Liberals who improved the most.
“Most people do not listen with the intent to understand. Most people listen with the intent to reply.” -Stephen R. Covey

2 people like this post.
User avatar
Urban Cowboy
Lord of the Board
 
Posts: 4720
Likes: 5037 posts
Liked in: 6878 posts
Joined: Apr 27th, 2013, 3:47 pm

Re: New Budget coming Feb. 19

Postby JagXKR » Feb 6th, 2019, 11:37 am

Exactly. Should have been a cake walk for the eco nut socialist riding but they won by the least margin of any Nanaimo MLA election in a very very long time. 1975 was the last time it was this close. That was a really long time ago.
Nice to see the Greens lose so much ground. That was the big news for me. The party should not have official status and this just shows why.
New budget will be a garbage budget that steals from those who work and gives to those who choose not to work.
Why use a big word when a diminutive one will suffice.

2 people like this post.
User avatar
JagXKR
Übergod
 
Posts: 1500
Likes: 3 posts
Liked in: 1351 posts
Joined: Jun 19th, 2011, 6:25 am
Location: Penticton

Re: New Budget coming Feb. 19

Postby hobbyguy » Feb 15th, 2019, 5:05 pm

Getting closer, next week should be fun.

One of the items for the Budget, the Patullo bridge replacement. I notice one of the "prequalified bidders" is SNC-Lavalin.... Horgan better not show up at the legislature in a new Ferrari ... [icon_lol2.gif]
Anyone but Scheer - career pols are know nothings.

2 people like this post.
hobbyguy
Guru
 
Posts: 9658
Likes: 2668 posts
Liked in: 10432 posts
Joined: Jan 20th, 2011, 9:10 pm

Re: New Budget coming Feb. 19

Postby blueliner » Feb 15th, 2019, 5:11 pm

Hold on to your wallet , its not going to be pretty . :200:
blueliner
Fledgling
 
Posts: 272
Likes: 930 posts
Liked in: 329 posts
Joined: Jan 31st, 2017, 1:46 pm

Re: New Budget coming Feb. 19

Postby Cactusflower » Feb 15th, 2019, 5:35 pm

hobbyguy wrote:Getting closer, next week should be fun.

One of the items for the Budget, the Patullo bridge replacement. I notice one of the "prequalified bidders" is SNC-Lavalin.... Horgan better not show up at the legislature in a new Ferrari ... [icon_lol2.gif]


Just because your party of choice hired SNC Lavalin to rip British Columbians off doesn't mean that the present government intends to do the same thing. If you have some proof that Horgan is dealing with those crooks, let's see it.
Cactusflower
Lord of the Board
 
Posts: 4849
Likes: 2394 posts
Liked in: 1005 posts
Joined: Aug 27th, 2017, 11:33 pm

Re: New Budget coming Feb. 19

Postby LordEd » Feb 15th, 2019, 5:46 pm

https://engage.gov.bc.ca/pattullobridge/procurement/
Competitive Selection Process
Following the Request for Qualifications (RFQ) that was issued in July, 2018, three pre-qualified bidding teams have been selected to participate in the Request for Proposals (RFP) stage:

Fraser Community Connectors
[email protected]
Flatiron | Dragados | Carlson Pattullo JV
[email protected]
Fraser Crossing Partners
[email protected]snclavalin.com

Check and mate.
I may disapprove of what you say, but I will defend your right to be punished for it. (User profile -> Search user’s posts)
https://xkcd.com/1357/

2 people like this post.
LordEd
Lord of the Board
 
Posts: 3876
Likes: 2 posts
Liked in: 2461 posts
Joined: Apr 3rd, 2008, 9:22 am

Re: New Budget coming Feb. 19

Postby Cactusflower » Feb 15th, 2019, 5:53 pm

LordEd wrote:https://engage.gov.bc.ca/pattullobridge/procurement/
Competitive Selection Process
Following the Request for Qualifications (RFQ) that was issued in July, 2018, three pre-qualified bidding teams have been selected to participate in the Request for Proposals (RFP) stage:

Fraser Community Connectors
[email protected]
Flatiron | Dragados | Carlson Pattullo JV
[email protected]
Fraser Crossing Partners
[email protected]snclavalin.com

Check and mate.


Chortle on, m'lord. There's nothing in that link that says SNC Lavalin will be participating in the construction of that bridge.
Cactusflower
Lord of the Board
 
Posts: 4849
Likes: 2394 posts
Liked in: 1005 posts
Joined: Aug 27th, 2017, 11:33 pm

Re: New Budget coming Feb. 19

Postby LordEd » Feb 15th, 2019, 5:57 pm

[icon_lol2.gif].
I may disapprove of what you say, but I will defend your right to be punished for it. (User profile -> Search user’s posts)
https://xkcd.com/1357/

2 people like this post.
LordEd
Lord of the Board
 
Posts: 3876
Likes: 2 posts
Liked in: 2461 posts
Joined: Apr 3rd, 2008, 9:22 am

Re: New Budget coming Feb. 19

Postby Cactusflower » Feb 15th, 2019, 8:22 pm

Only El Gordo and Christy would be dumb enough (or greedy enough) to let SNC Lavalin back into the construction of BC infrastructure after this latest scandal. Any government that would touch them with a ten foot pole would be committing political suicide. So dream on, LE.
Cactusflower
Lord of the Board
 
Posts: 4849
Likes: 2394 posts
Liked in: 1005 posts
Joined: Aug 27th, 2017, 11:33 pm

Re: New Budget coming Feb. 19

Postby mikest2 » Feb 15th, 2019, 9:04 pm

Cactusflower wrote:Only El Gordo and Christy would be dumb enough (or greedy enough) to let SNC Lavalin back into the construction of BC infrastructure after this latest scandal. Any government that would touch them with a ten foot pole would be committing political suicide. So dream on, LE.


Wake up and read the paper...............
https://globalnews.ca/news/4963183/patt ... ment-bids/

ETA.................Horgan says with a smile......
Once I thought I was wrong.....but I was mistaken...
mikest2
Übergod
 
Posts: 1221
Likes: 1008 posts
Liked in: 1685 posts
Joined: Aug 7th, 2006, 10:00 pm

Re: New Budget coming Feb. 19

Postby Cactusflower » Feb 15th, 2019, 9:35 pm

mikest2 wrote:
Cactusflower wrote:Only El Gordo and Christy would be dumb enough (or greedy enough) to let SNC Lavalin back into the construction of BC infrastructure after this latest scandal. Any government that would touch them with a ten foot pole would be committing political suicide. So dream on, LE.


Wake up and read the paper...............
https://globalnews.ca/news/4963183/patt ... ment-bids/

ETA.................Horgan says with a smile......


I wasn't able to download the video, but like I said, if the NDP goes ahead with SNC Lavalin in their line-up, they'll be committing political suicide, and Heaven knows we can't afford to have the BC Liberals running the province again.
Cactusflower
Lord of the Board
 
Posts: 4849
Likes: 2394 posts
Liked in: 1005 posts
Joined: Aug 27th, 2017, 11:33 pm

Re: New Budget coming Feb. 19

Postby mikest2 » Feb 15th, 2019, 9:38 pm

Cactusflower wrote:
I wasn't able to download the video, but like I said, if the NDP goes ahead with SNC Lavalin in their line-up, they'll be committing political suicide, and Heaven knows we can't afford to have the BC Liberals running the province again.


Soon, grasshopper, you may understand what some of us mean when we say "the lesser of evils"
Once I thought I was wrong.....but I was mistaken...
mikest2
Übergod
 
Posts: 1221
Likes: 1008 posts
Liked in: 1685 posts
Joined: Aug 7th, 2006, 10:00 pm

Re: New Budget coming Feb. 19

Postby Cactusflower » Feb 15th, 2019, 9:42 pm

mikest2 wrote:
Cactusflower wrote:
I wasn't able to download the video, but like I said, if the NDP goes ahead with SNC Lavalin in their line-up, they'll be committing political suicide, and Heaven knows we can't afford to have the BC Liberals running the province again.


Soon, grasshopper, you may understand what some of us mean when we say "the lesser of evils"


I understand that the NDP is the lesser of those two evils.
Cactusflower
Lord of the Board
 
Posts: 4849
Likes: 2394 posts
Liked in: 1005 posts
Joined: Aug 27th, 2017, 11:33 pm

Re: New Budget coming Feb. 19

Postby hobbyguy » Feb 16th, 2019, 12:51 pm

Cactusflower wrote:Only El Gordo and Christy would be dumb enough (or greedy enough) to let SNC Lavalin back into the construction of BC infrastructure after this latest scandal. Any government that would touch them with a ten foot pole would be committing political suicide. So dream on, LE.


So why did wee Johnny pre-qualify them as one of 3 bidders??? Are you saying wee Johnny ain't very bright??
Anyone but Scheer - career pols are know nothings.
hobbyguy
Guru
 
Posts: 9658
Likes: 2668 posts
Liked in: 10432 posts
Joined: Jan 20th, 2011, 9:10 pm

Next

Return to B.C.

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: CommonCrawl [Bot] and 0 guests