Cold weather saps batteries

blackdog777

Cold weather saps batteries

Post by blackdog777 »

Another story to perpetuate the continued use of fossil fuels. Sure, EV users can suffer less range with cold weather.
With Tesla, it is about 20%. It is even less than 20% if you maintain your EV in a garage. Most of the power loss is from the main battery heating or cooling itself.
We operate 2 Tesla vehicles and both are kept indoors in a garage. Range loss in the recent cold weather is not even noticed.
Both Tesla's are by far the best vehicle I have ever operated in the snow. Low C of G, all wheel drive, will outperform just about any PU with ease.
And if your battery range does diminish, there are way more charging facilities in the Okanagan than there are gas stations.
And just about all of those charging stations will provide you with free charging.
Try getting free gas next time you pull up to the pumps.
JagXKR
Lord of the Board

Re: Cold weather saps batteries

Post by JagXKR »

I disagree and so do the experts. It's far more than 20%.
Also I can fill up in minutes and the golf carts need hours and still won't have half the range I have.

https://www.cnbc.com/2019/02/05/tesla-j ... emps-.html
Why use a big word when a diminutive one will suffice.
dontrump
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by dontrump »

blackdog777 wrote:Another story to perpetuate the continued use of fossil fuels. Sure, EV users can suffer less range with cold weather.
With Tesla, it is about 20%. It is even less than 20% if you maintain your EV in a garage. Most of the power loss is from the main battery heating or cooling itself.
We operate 2 Tesla vehicles and both are kept indoors in a garage. Range loss in the recent cold weather is not even noticed.
Both Tesla's are by far the best vehicle I have ever operated in the snow. Low C of G, all wheel drive, will outperform just about any PU with ease.
And if your battery range does diminish, there are way more charging facilities in the Okanagan than there are gas stations.
And just about all of those charging stations will provide you with free charging.

BS and they cost way too much and the resale $$ is terrible as far as traction most any AWD works well in snow

Example My santa fe ltd awd performs flawlessly in ALL conditions and cost 1/3 of a tesla AWD and has a range of 675 K

I can burn fuel for 20 Years and never reach the cost to buy your EC
christopher
Board Meister

Post by christopher »

blackdog777 wrote:Another story to perpetuate the continued use of fossil fuels. Sure, EV users can suffer less range with cold weather.

So what range would you have at -40
Bsuds
The Wagon Master

Post by Bsuds »

blackdog777 wrote: there are way more charging facilities in the Okanagan than there are gas stations.

Proof please or I say BS to that.
My Wife asked me if I knew what her favorite flower was?
Apparently "Robin Hood All Purpose" was the wrong answer!
TylerM4
Lord of the Board

Post by TylerM4 »

Cold weather also impacts batteries because people use the electric heater which is very power hungry.

Parking in the garage doesn't work so well for the average working Joe. You may have a heated garage at home, but unlikely you have a heated parking spot at work.

I welcome electric vehicles and look forward to owning one once the costs come down a little more. My plan is to someday have 1 of our 2 household vehicles operate as electric. That way we still have a vehicle available to us for longer trips, hauling a trailer, etc but use the electric vehicle as much as possible for the daily commutes.
OKkayak
Walks on Forum Water

Post by OKkayak »

blackdog777 wrote:And if your battery range does diminish, there are way more charging facilities in the Okanagan than there are gas stations.

I highly doubt that. Proof please.

blackdog777 wrote:And just about all of those charging stations will provide you with free charging.

It's not free, its subsidized. You're simply getting a free ride off other peoples money. Regardless, enjoy the "free" ride because it won't last.
LordEd
Guru

Post by LordEd »

https://www.tourismkelowna.com/plan/get ... -stations/

I'm counting 16 in kelowna area. Some of these are "2 wall outlets". The gas equivalent would be a gas tank in a shed, but I'll count them anyway.

Google brings up 17 gas stations in the same area. If you want me to include westside and winfield, gas count goes up as well.

Not exactly "way more".
Health forum: Health, well-being, medicine, aging, digital currency enslavement, depopulation conspiracy.

If you want to discuss anything real, you're in the wrong place.
OKkayak
Walks on Forum Water

Post by OKkayak »

LordEd wrote:https://www.tourismkelowna.com/plan/getting-around-kelowna/electric-car-charging-stations/

I'm counting 16 in kelowna area. Some of these are "2 wall outlets". The gas equivalent would be a gas tank in a shed, but I'll count them anyway.

Google brings up 17 gas stations in the same area. If you want me to include westside and winfield, gas count goes up as well.

Not exactly "way more".

37 gas stations in Kelowna/West Kelowna (not including Winfield) according to GasBuddy. West Kelowna is showing 2 charging stations (3 if you count the one at the elementary school) which brings up the question. A lot of these charging stations are at private businesses. I'm pretty sure the Chevy dealer won't be to pleased if you just park your Nissan there and take up their real estate without contributing to their business.
GordonH
Сварливий старий мерзотник

Post by GordonH »

blackdog777 wrote:And if your battery range does diminish, there are way more charging facilities in the Okanagan than there are gas stations.

As far as I'm aware there are only 1 super charging station near best western with 2 or more units (in Kelowna). Those take couple hours+ for full charge, these are tesla. Unless plug is universal (which I don't know, since I don't own EV, some EV owners could be sol.
Regular charging station takes hell of a lot longer to get a full charge.

In the winter time anything short of full charge impo is foolish.
I don't give a damn whether people/posters like me or dislike me, I'm not on earth to win any popularity contests.
jimmy4321
Guru

Post by jimmy4321 »

I can't wait for the day all of this is accurate.
I don't get all the haters for electric vehicles, not necessarily from this thread.
dirtybiker
Walks on Forum Water

Post by dirtybiker »

What a bunch of bullies, poor old OP was just attempting to
self justify expenditures and shelter the mind that everything
will be all right.

:D :D
"Don't 'p' down my neck then tell me it's raining!"
OKkayak
Walks on Forum Water

Post by OKkayak »

jimmy4321 wrote:I don't get all the haters for electric vehicles, not necessarily from this thread.

Its not the product that people hate. It's the smug, ego filled, self important, misinformed proponents that people hate. Kinda like vegans :biggrin:
jimmy4321
Guru

Post by jimmy4321 »

If that's the case it's all silly Lol
I've read stories of people parking their big trucks in order to block access to charging stations , pretty douchy

I never held a grudge against those first who paid up to 20k for a plasma tv
OKkayak
Walks on Forum Water

Post by OKkayak »

jimmy4321 wrote:If that's the case it's all silly Lol
I never held a grudge against those first who paid up to 20k for a plasma tv

Its not that someone wants to pay $20K for a plasma TV, its how they try to feel superior to everyone else because they insist everyone should have a $20K plasma TV when their $1K LED TV works just fine and out performs the $20K plasma TV.

Return to “B.C.”