Cold weather saps batteries

Re: Cold weather saps batteries

Postby one wheel » Feb 11th, 2019, 12:33 am

Would a nice Honda 5000 Eco Tec Generator & fuel jugs bolted to the extended rear bumper solve the problem ?

I know batteries are improving but an EV wouldn't work for me ? I live in a town house & could you imagine the uproar it would cause with strata council when it got plugged in every day because strata pays it ? My carport storage room only has a regular 110 outlet which couldn't handle anything without blowing the breaker ?

I've not checked but are new complexes being equipped with a charging station ?

2 people like this post.
one wheel
Board Meister

Liked in: 518 posts

Postby Cactusflower » Feb 11th, 2019, 7:16 am

^^Actually, it's kinda sad that we have so few new BC topics to discuss here. Guess I'll be hitting the beach early today. :smt045
Cactusflower
Lord of the Board

Liked in: 1006 posts

Postby Cactusflower » Feb 11th, 2019, 7:34 am

one wheel wrote:Would a nice Honda 5000 Eco Tec Generator & fuel jugs bolted to the extended rear bumper solve the problem ?

I know batteries are improving but an EV wouldn't work for me ? I live in a town house & could you imagine the uproar it would cause with strata council when it got plugged in every day because strata pays it ? My carport storage room only has a regular 110 outlet which couldn't handle anything without blowing the breaker ?

I've not checked but are new complexes being equipped with a charging station ?

Yes, I believe they are. Anyway, I also live in an older complex and I brought the subject up with the council at the last AGM. They decided that since the cost of charging an EV is so negligible, and since I rarely charge my car up at home anyway because the manufacturer doesn't recommend 'trickle charging' on a regular basis, I won't be paying anything extra. Other strata owners use the outlets for various reasons.......vacuuming their vehicles, using power tools, plugging in block heaters, etc. and they don't pay anything extra.

In the future, when more members start driving EVs, the council will consider installing a charging station.
Cactusflower
Lord of the Board

Postby Bsuds » Feb 11th, 2019, 8:40 am

Cactusflower wrote:
In the future, when more members start driving EVs, the council will consider installing a charging station.

So probably not in the near future.
Ducks have feathers to cover their Butt Quacks!

2 people like this post.
Bsuds
The Wagon Master

Liked in: 13284 posts

Postby Cactusflower » Feb 11th, 2019, 10:16 am

Bsuds wrote:
Cactusflower wrote:

So probably not in the near future.

You may be surprised. Not everyone in the Okanagan is still living in the 20th Century.
Cactusflower
Lord of the Board

Postby Urban Cowboy » Feb 11th, 2019, 10:31 am

*removed*
Last edited by ferri on Feb 11th, 2019, 12:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Off Topic
“A man is a success if he gets up in the morning and gets to bed at night, and in between he does what he wants to do.” -Bob Dylan

3 people like this post.
Urban Cowboy
Guru

Liked in: 7818 posts

Postby Bsuds » Feb 11th, 2019, 10:36 am

Cactusflower wrote:
You may be surprised. Not everyone in the Okanagan is still living in the 20th Century.

I would be very surprised it they spent thousands of $ to install charging stations for a few members to get "free" power.

Maybe in a new development but not too likely in an older one.
Ducks have feathers to cover their Butt Quacks!

2 people like this post.
Bsuds
The Wagon Master

Liked in: 13284 posts

Postby one wheel » Feb 11th, 2019, 12:24 pm

The charging cords I've seen for an EV look as large or similar to a welding or dryer cable which to me would indicate 220 power needed to do this ?
Cactusflower - I'm puzzled, what's the minimum power needed to charge an EV & if you sometimes charge at home how do you do this ?
I don't believe your claim that charging is 'negligible' if it takes hours to fully charge overnight at home & to compare having a 110 volt for owners to vacuum, etc. & saying they don't pay extra is nonsense because it's included in your strata fees.
In my complex our 2019 budget for that 'FREE' power you talk about is set at $1100.00.

Also your claim of getting a charging unit installed in the future at your place is IMO just big dreams, they aren't available at 'Ace Electric' for $49.95

4 people like this post.
one wheel
Board Meister

Liked in: 518 posts

Postby Smurf » Feb 11th, 2019, 12:45 pm

Cactusflower wrote:

Yes, I believe they are. Anyway, I also live in an older complex and I brought the subject up with the council at the last AGM. They decided that since the cost of charging an EV is so negligible, and since I rarely charge my car up at home anyway because the manufacturer doesn't recommend 'trickle charging' on a regular basis, I won't be paying anything extra. Other strata owners use the outlets for various reasons.......vacuuming their vehicles, using power tools, plugging in block heaters, etc. and they don't pay anything extra.

So are you saying that you and other EV owners do not vacuum your vehicles use power tools or do the things others do. Probably the only thing you do different is not plug in a block heater but you do plug in a charger which is much more expensive and happens year round. As they say " turn on your interior heater and warm up the car before you unplug it". That takes as much power as a block heater or a separate interior warmer. Car charging is expensive and as has been said numerous times will be a heavy load on the electrical system if and when they ever become common. I can't even imagine the yearly hydro bills for condo's with say 40 EV's plugged in as needed year round. I will almost guarantee they will not be free to the owner/tenant.
Consider how hard it is to change yourself and you'll understand what little chance you have of changing others.

The happiest of people don't necessarily have the best of everything, they just make the most of everything that comes their way.

2 people like this post.
Smurf
Guru

Liked in: 6624 posts

Postby countmeout » Feb 11th, 2019, 1:21 pm

https://www.autotrader.ca/newsfeatures/20170302/how-much-does-it-really-cost-to-charge-that-electric-vehicle/

Cost to charge an EV in BC for the year is between $400-$600 depending on what you have. This doesn't include warming it up. Installations of charging stations vary from $500-$2000.

Some condos have 50 units. Thats a minimum of $12,500 to give half the owners a charge spot and another $12,500 a year to power them plus a maintenance charge for when servicing is required. Thats a lot of money for "free" lol.

5 people like this post.
countmeout
Board Meister

Liked in: 377 posts

Postby George Orwell 1984 » Feb 11th, 2019, 1:38 pm

Once I get my fully electric RV I will just run an extension cord over to Cactus Flowers place and suck up whatever I need of that “ free electricity “

3 people like this post.
George Orwell 1984

Liked in: 143 posts

Postby Cactusflower » Feb 11th, 2019, 1:41 pm

^^You guys are unbelievable. What makes you think driving an EV should be free? Do you get free gas, oil, maintenance for your gas guzzlers? As for your 'research', you need to do a lot more before calling EV owners 'liars'.
Cactusflower
Lord of the Board

Postby OKkayak » Feb 11th, 2019, 1:42 pm

Some interesting guidelines from the Nissan Leaf owners manual in regards to the expected lifespan and performance of the battery, cold weather guidelines and the use of quick chargers:

LI-ION BATTERY LIFE
The Li-ion battery's ability to hold a charge, like all batteries, decreases with battery age and usage which results in decreased vehicle range when compared to the vehicle range when the vehicle was new. This is normal and expected, and does not indicate a malfunction of the vehicle or Li-ion battery.
The Li-ion battery's ability to hold a charge can be affected by how you drive the vehicle, store the vehicle, how you charge the Li-ion battery and Li-ion battery temperature during vehicle operation and charging.

To maximize the battery's useful life, use the following driving and charging habits where possible:
Avoid exposing a vehicle to extreme ambient temperatures for extended periods.
Avoid storing a vehicle in temperatures below −13°F (−25°C) for more than seven days.
• Avoid leaving your vehicle for more than 14 days where the Li-ion battery available charge gauge reaches a zero or near zero (state of charge).
Allow the vehicle and Li-ion battery to cool down after use before charging.
• Park/store your vehicle in cool locations out of direct sunlight and away from heat sources.
• Avoid sustained high battery temperatures (caused, for example, by exposure to very high ambient temperatures or ex- tending highway driving with multiple quick charges [if so equipped]) .
• Use the normal charging or trickle charging methods to charge the Li-ion battery and minimize the use of public Fast Charge or Quick Charger.
• Moderate driving.
• Use of ECO mode.
• Do not operate the charging timer repeatedly while the charge connector is connected to the vehicle after the Li-ion battery charging is completed. Doing so may discharge the 12-volt battery.
•The power of the Li-ion battery can be checked on the Li-ion battery available charge gauge. For additional information, refer to “Li-ion battery available charge gauge” in the “Instruments and controls” section of this manual.
Last edited by OKkayak on Feb 11th, 2019, 1:51 pm, edited 3 times in total.
“Our species can only survive if we have obstacles to overcome. You remove those obstacles. Without them to strengthen us, we will weaken and die.”

- James Tiberius Kirk
OKkayak
Lord of the Board

Liked in: 5054 posts

Postby OKkayak » Feb 11th, 2019, 1:44 pm

Cactusflower wrote:^^You guys are unbelievable. What makes you think driving an EV should be free?

Because thats one of the biggest marketing ploys for EVs. Manufacturers, EV owners, business keep marketing the "free" charging.
“Our species can only survive if we have obstacles to overcome. You remove those obstacles. Without them to strengthen us, we will weaken and die.”

- James Tiberius Kirk

The Green Barbarian likes this post.
OKkayak
Lord of the Board

Liked in: 5054 posts

Postby The Green Barbarian » Feb 11th, 2019, 1:52 pm

Bsuds wrote:
I would be very surprised it they spent thousands of $ to install charging stations for a few members to get "free" power.

Maybe in a new development but not too likely in an older one.

They could do like at Mission Hill and start taking away disabled parking spots and giving them to Tesla drivers instead. Makes total sense.
Justin Trudeau or Kathleen Wynne - who was the bigger troglodyte?

twobits likes this post.
The Green Barbarian
Admiral HMS Castanet

Liked in: 24230 posts

PreviousNext

Return to B.C.