Cold weather saps batteries

Re: Cold weather saps batteries

Postby George Orwell 1984 » Feb 11th, 2019, 2:02 pm

OKkayak wrote:
Cactusflower wrote:^^You guys are unbelievable. What makes you think driving an EV should be free?

Because thats one of the biggest marketing ploys for EVs. Manufacturers, EV owners, business keep marketing the "free" charging.

Exactly my point - nothing is free . Don’t be convincing yourself that it’s all free. Sooner or later it will come back to bite. Once the public has been sucked down the best thing since sliced bread tube prices will skyrocket. Just like when propane was introduced as the alternative to fuel oil. Just as Bc Hydros initial interruptible cheap electricity morphed into dual stage billing where we are punished for our using a green alternative. Should surface about the time when your EV batteries need replacing .
Bend over

4 people like this post.
George Orwell 1984
 
Posts: 34
Likes: 17 posts
Liked in: 54 posts
Joined: Feb 19th, 2018, 7:24 am

Re: Cold weather saps batteries

Postby The Green Barbarian » Feb 11th, 2019, 2:05 pm

George Orwell 1984 wrote:Exactly my point - nothing is free . Don’t be convincing yourself that it’s all free. Sooner or later it will come back to bite. Once the public has been sucked down the best thing since sliced bread tube prices will skyrocket. Just like when propane was introduced as the alternative to fuel oil. Just as Bc Hydros initial interruptible cheap electricity morphed into dual stage billing where we are punished for our using a green alternative. Should surface about the time when your EV batteries need replacing .
Bend over


talk to all of the saps that got sucked into installing geo-thermal heat pumps into their houses because they wanted to be "green", and are now getting screwed big time by BC Hydro and Fortis. Going "green" always ends up costing you, and everyone else, a ton of money, for no benefit to anyone. It's a scam.
Justin Trudeau is a peanut-chucking snollygoster snowflake. But he has nice dimples. Remember, the hypocrisy of the Left knows no bounds.
User avatar
The Green Barbarian
Admiral HMS Castanet
 
Posts: 31467
Likes: 14658 posts
Liked in: 20287 posts
Joined: Sep 16th, 2010, 9:13 am

Re: Cold weather saps batteries

Postby OKkayak » Feb 11th, 2019, 2:15 pm

Cactusflower wrote:There are thousands of quick charge stations all over North America. No need to wait more than 1/2 hour for a full charge, just time for a quick cup of coffee/lunch/ :admin: bathroom break. You really need to get informed about EVs. A good place to start is Google.

Yet your owner's manual advises you not to use repeated quick charges otherwise it will decrease your battery's performance and lifespan. So there is truth to the earlier comments of a road trip in an EV being very time consuming after all.

3 people like this post.
User avatar
OKkayak
Grand Pooh-bah
 
Posts: 2059
Likes: 1834 posts
Liked in: 2124 posts
Joined: May 14th, 2018, 11:10 pm

Re: Cold weather saps batteries

Postby countmeout » Feb 11th, 2019, 2:56 pm

Cactusflower wrote:^^You guys are unbelievable. What makes you think driving an EV should be free? Do you get free gas, oil, maintenance for your gas guzzlers? As for your 'research', you need to do a lot more before calling EV owners 'liars'.


countmeout wrote:Cost to charge an EV in BC for the year is between $400-$600 depending on what you have. This doesn't include warming it up. Installations of charging stations vary from $500-$2000.

Some condos have 50 units. Thats a minimum of $12,500 to give half the owners a charge spot and another $12,500 a year to power them plus a maintenance charge for when servicing is required. Thats a lot of money for "free" lol.


Cactusflower wrote:Anyway, I also live in an older complex and I brought the subject up with the council at the last AGM. They decided that since the cost of charging an EV is so negligible, and since I rarely charge my car up at home anyway because the manufacturer doesn't recommend 'trickle charging' on a regular basis, I won't be paying anything extra.


Looks like you will be getting a lot a free energy since you won't be paying anything to charge your car at home. Even if you only charged it half the time at home it's still between $200-$300 worth of free money each year.
countmeout
Board Meister
 
Posts: 396
Likes: 222 posts
Liked in: 369 posts
Joined: Sep 26th, 2018, 7:22 am

Re: Cold weather saps batteries

Postby dirtybiker » Feb 11th, 2019, 3:07 pm

I'll buy and drive an EV when they come out with one that
has a 4, 6, or 8 cyl. self charging system.

Oh, waitaminute...nevermind...
"Don't 'p' down my neck then tell me it's raining!"
dirtybiker
Guru
 
Posts: 7330
Likes: 8140 posts
Liked in: 3582 posts
Joined: Mar 8th, 2008, 7:00 pm
Location: Central OK

Re: Cold weather saps batteries

Postby dirtybiker » Feb 11th, 2019, 3:17 pm

Added, on the note of self generating features for EV's
Why not equipped with through roof portals(ducts) housing
wind powered, electricity generating turbines effective enough
for longer, higher speed travel.

I would think the on board generation of power through movement could
significantly increase travel distances.
"Don't 'p' down my neck then tell me it's raining!"

flamingfingers likes this post.
dirtybiker
Guru
 
Posts: 7330
Likes: 8140 posts
Liked in: 3582 posts
Joined: Mar 8th, 2008, 7:00 pm
Location: Central OK

Re: Cold weather saps batteries

Postby countmeout » Feb 11th, 2019, 3:35 pm

dirtybiker wrote:Added, on the note of self generating features for EV's
Why not equipped with through roof portals(ducts) housing
wind powered, electricity generating turbines effective enough
for longer, higher speed travel.

I would think the on board generation of power through movement could
significantly increase travel distances.


Unfortunately you're borderlining a perpetual motion machine (impossible in physics). Any power generated by creating draw on the system will take more power then it can create in a charge. Think of blowing wind from a fan into a windmill to generate power; it will take more power to turn the fan then the windmill will generate.

Now if the car is rolling down a hill by its own weight a braking system can and is already being used to generate waste energy back into the battery to go up the next hill. I give EV's a big pat on the back here, they are really pushing all they can out of them.
countmeout
Board Meister
 
Posts: 396
Likes: 222 posts
Liked in: 369 posts
Joined: Sep 26th, 2018, 7:22 am

Re: Cold weather saps batteries

Postby Cactusflower » Feb 11th, 2019, 4:17 pm

OKkayak wrote:
Cactusflower wrote:There are thousands of quick charge stations all over North America. No need to wait more than 1/2 hour for a full charge, just time for a quick cup of coffee/lunch/ :admin: bathroom break. You really need to get informed about EVs. A good place to start is Google.

Yet your owner's manual advises you not to use repeated quick charges otherwise it will decrease your battery's performance and lifespan. So there is truth to the earlier comments of a road trip in an EV being very time consuming after all.


My owners manual also tells me not to 'trickle charge' all the time. That's why I use the Level 2 charging stations much of the time. Until you've actually owned and driven one for a reasonable length of time, you really shouldn't just make assumptions, as many members here are doing.

The fellow who made the comment about an EV charging it's battery while going downhill is correct. It also helps to put it in 'B' drive when going down a steep hill, and keeping it in Eco-mode most of the time. If one drives economically, there' no need to charge the battery very often.
Cactusflower
Lord of the Board
 
Posts: 4849
Likes: 2394 posts
Liked in: 1005 posts
Joined: Aug 27th, 2017, 11:33 pm

Re: Cold weather saps batteries

Postby GordonH » Feb 11th, 2019, 4:29 pm

When you have to start compromising yourself and your morals for the people around you, it’s probably time to change the people around you.

Cactusflower likes this post.
User avatar
GordonH
Buddha of the Board
 
Posts: 22518
Likes: 2696 posts
Liked in: 8435 posts
Joined: Oct 4th, 2008, 7:21 pm
Location: Second star to the right and straight on 'til morning

Re: Cold weather saps batteries

Postby Urban Cowboy » Feb 11th, 2019, 6:49 pm



That makes it appear as though driving a Leaf from here to Vancouver could be a challenge. :200:
“Most people do not listen with the intent to understand. Most people listen with the intent to reply.” -Stephen R. Covey
User avatar
Urban Cowboy
Lord of the Board
 
Posts: 4720
Likes: 5037 posts
Liked in: 6878 posts
Joined: Apr 27th, 2013, 3:47 pm

Re: Cold weather saps batteries

Postby buckland » Feb 11th, 2019, 7:09 pm

The Green Barbarian wrote:talk to all of the saps that got sucked into installing geo-thermal heat pumps into their houses because they wanted to be "green", and are now getting screwed big time by BC Hydro and Fortis. Going "green" always ends up costing you, and everyone else, a ton of money, for no benefit to anyone. It's a scam.


Fact check before you post GB. I have a geothermal unit in my 3000 sq. ft. house and I would compare the low cost of my heating to anyone else around who have gas, oil or baseboard heat any day 365 days of the year. I've already done it.

2 people like this post.
buckland
 
Posts: 51
Likes: 6 posts
Liked in: 27 posts
Joined: Aug 13th, 2008, 9:20 am

Re: Cold weather saps batteries

Postby Cactusflower » Feb 11th, 2019, 7:53 pm



Good link, GH. I've made a few trips from the Okanagan to Vancouver and back in my EV and have enjoyed every minute of them. Planning the trips is half the fun. The economics of them is a plus.
Cactusflower
Lord of the Board
 
Posts: 4849
Likes: 2394 posts
Liked in: 1005 posts
Joined: Aug 27th, 2017, 11:33 pm

Re: Cold weather saps batteries

Postby Bsuds » Feb 11th, 2019, 8:24 pm

Cactusflower wrote:If one drives economically, there' no need to charge the battery very often.


What do you consider "not very often"?
My Wife gives me very sound advice...99% sound and 1% advice!

OKkayak likes this post.
User avatar
Bsuds
The Wagon Master
 
Posts: 43855
Likes: 9699 posts
Liked in: 12128 posts
Joined: Apr 21st, 2005, 10:46 am

Re: Cold weather saps batteries

Postby Cactusflower » Feb 11th, 2019, 8:31 pm

^^depends on how often I drive the car and where I go.
Cactusflower
Lord of the Board
 
Posts: 4849
Likes: 2394 posts
Liked in: 1005 posts
Joined: Aug 27th, 2017, 11:33 pm

Re: Cold weather saps batteries

Postby one wheel » Feb 12th, 2019, 1:17 am

My only experience has been with a Hybrid so a little different than an EV. I picked it up at 100 Mile House & it showed 3/4 full, I thought great that's plenty to get to Kelowna. All I found was that if you travel at the highway speed & above the gas motor is running, I filled the tank at Cash Creek because I was unsure I'd get back to Kelowna ?

If you live in Kelowna & have a EV where are the locations you can charge it ?
one wheel
Board Meister
 
Posts: 371
Likes: 32 posts
Liked in: 345 posts
Joined: Dec 9th, 2017, 10:38 pm

PreviousNext

Return to B.C.

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: CommonCrawl [Bot] and 0 guests