Cold weather saps batteries

Re: Cold weather saps batteries

Postby OKkayak » Feb 12th, 2019, 1:30 am

Cactusflower wrote:^^depends on how often I drive the car and where I go.

It also depends on how often other people drive the car and where other people go.
OKkayak
Übergod

Liked in: 1481 posts

Postby George Orwell 1984 » Feb 12th, 2019, 8:40 am

A report on MSN regarding the Chevrolet Bolt today says in winter conditions range drops to 100 miles and if you only have a 110 plug it takes 50 hours to charge .!!!!!!!!!

OKkayak likes this post.
George Orwell 1984

Liked in: 41 posts

Postby Carrs Landing Viking » Feb 12th, 2019, 9:14 am

George Orwell 1984 wrote:A report on MSN regarding the Chevrolet Bolt today says in winter conditions range drops to 100 miles and if you only have a 110 plug it takes 50 hours to charge .!!!!!!!!!

I also just finished reading this article. While humorous, it points to the reality of owning an EV in Canada in the winter.

https://www.msn.com/en-ca/autos/autosgr ... li=AAggNb9

3 people like this post.
Carrs Landing Viking
Generalissimo Postalot

Liked in: 1164 posts

Postby Urban Cowboy » Feb 12th, 2019, 10:11 am

Carrs Landing Viking wrote:
George Orwell 1984 wrote:A report on MSN regarding the Chevrolet Bolt today says in winter conditions range drops to 100 miles and if you only have a 110 plug it takes 50 hours to charge .!!!!!!!!!

I also just finished reading this article. While humorous, it points to the reality of owning an EV in Canada in the winter.

https://www.msn.com/en-ca/autos/autosgr ... li=AAggNb9

That article sums up my feelings completely. It's great progress is being made, but there is still a long way to go.

It also confirmed my suspicions, of charging not being quite as effortless, as CF would have us believe, given the part where it mentioned others lining up impatiently, to get their turn on the charging station. Remember this is in a province that fully supports, encourages, and subsidizes EV's.

Also very noteworthy is the fact that charging was not free, so that more or less, confirms another one of my suspicions, that being the industry is simply sucking people in here with free charging for now, then once enough people own EV's that perk will disappear. It's the same business model often used by software vendors, and a number of other examples where you get something for free for a time, then the monthly charges kick in.

This does make complete sense, given that once there are a few million EV's in BC, I don't see how they can keep getting electricity for free, given there are costs involved in generating said electricity. There is no free lunch as CF would have people believe, be it in her EV crusade, or solar panel endorsement.

The article also confirms what most of us already knew, in that one can't compare using an EV in California, to using one in northern Canada, just as solar panels don't work as well up here, when compared to statistics applicable to a locale closer to the equator.

EV's will most certainly fill a need, and grow in popularity, but I can't see it ever growing to the point, where there will be no internal combustion engines used in Canada.
“Most people do not listen with the intent to understand. Most people listen with the intent to reply.” -Stephen R. Covey

6 people like this post.
Urban Cowboy
Lord of the Board

Liked in: 6455 posts

Postby Cactusflower » Feb 12th, 2019, 11:48 am

OKkayak wrote:

It also depends on how often other people drive the car and where other people go.

Nobody else drives my car. What are you implying?
Cactusflower
Lord of the Board

Liked in: 878 posts

Postby Urban Cowboy » Feb 12th, 2019, 12:00 pm

OKkayak wrote:

Cactusflower wrote:Nobody else drives my car. What are you implying?

OKkayak isn't "implying" anything, rather simply stating a fact, that what works for you, doesn't necessarily mean that it will work for everyone, which is how you tend to present your argument.

For someone who lives in town, and walks to the grocery store, is retired, thus not in need of constant transportation, an EV would be no doubt great.

On the other hand if someone has to commute to work in Kelowna, from say Vernon, on a daily basis, then run errands perhaps, before heading home, suddenly the winter driving range of an EV could well become an issue, given that you would be obligated to factor in inclement weather, the odd road closure, etc., as well as the cold weather fluctuating range uncertainty. I'd rather be driving something, that doesn't cause me, constant charging station proximity anxiety.
“Most people do not listen with the intent to understand. Most people listen with the intent to reply.” -Stephen R. Covey

5 people like this post.
Urban Cowboy
Lord of the Board

Liked in: 6455 posts

Postby OKkayak » Feb 12th, 2019, 12:02 pm

Nothing to imply. You made a claim. You were asked a question in regards to that claim. And you deflected with a ridiculously vague response instead of simply giving examples on how you drive "economically" in an EV. Simply pointing out that your driving habits (whatever those may be, since you didn't answer the question) will be different than others.

2 people like this post.
OKkayak
Übergod

Liked in: 1481 posts

Postby Cactusflower » Feb 12th, 2019, 12:18 pm

OKkayak wrote:

Nothing to imply. You made a claim. You were asked a question in regards to that claim. And you deflected with a ridiculously vague response instead of simply giving examples on how you drive "economically" in an EV. Simply pointing out that your driving habits (whatever those may be, since you didn't answer the question) will be different than others.

Gee......and I thought I made myself perfectly clear on that. I'll try again. If one buys an EV and reads the owner's manual, one will find that there are ways to drive that can increase the range one can drive between battery charges. One way is to put the vehicle into B drive while travelling down a steep hill. However, even if one doesn't use B drive, the car will charge its battery while going downhill, just not as quickly. Another range saver is to drive most of the time in Eco-mode. The only time one needs to put it in regular Drive-mode is if one is climbing a long, steep hill. (Eco-mode is kinda like overdrive).

Anything else I can help you with?
Cactusflower
Lord of the Board

Postby Bsuds » Feb 12th, 2019, 12:42 pm

Cactusflower wrote:Anything else I can help you with?

You could answer my original question with out deflecting it.

What do you consider charging "not very often" to be? I am interested to know at what point do you consider it necessary to plug in your car?

When it is down to 50%, 40, 30, or do you keep it topped up just in case?

If I drove one I would probably keep it plugged in whenever I had the opportunity. I am just curious as to what someone who drives one does.

2 people like this post.
Bsuds
The Wagon Master

Liked in: 11750 posts

Postby George Orwell 1984 » Feb 12th, 2019, 12:59 pm

I can picture it now. Um no I can’t meet you for lunch because my car is charging til Saturday :biggrin:

3 people like this post.
George Orwell 1984

Liked in: 41 posts

Postby Smurf » Feb 12th, 2019, 1:09 pm

Cactus flower how do you think your car would suit a mother of three that works. Lets say drops them off at two different schools in the morning then on into West Kelowna for work, no plug ins available. Back again after work to pick up the kids and drop her daughter off at dance and two sons off at hockey. Home to whip up a quick supper and back out to gather up the kids before settling in for the evening at minus 25 outside. Same thing all week long plus shopping, errands, etc.

Would you recommend your car for a situation like with poor charging and mileage in the cold. Remember that situations like that or similar are actually quite common?

I would not have to think for one second to keep my gas mobile.
Consider how hard it is to change yourself and you'll understand what little chance you have of changing others.

The happiest of people don't necessarily have the best of everything, they just make the most of everything that comes their way.

8 people like this post.
Smurf
Guru

Liked in: 6201 posts

Postby twobits » Feb 12th, 2019, 5:08 pm

buckland wrote:
Fact check before you post GB. I have a geothermal unit in my 3000 sq. ft. house and I would compare the low cost of my heating to anyone else around who have gas, oil or baseboard heat any day 365 days of the year. I've already done it.

LOL. It must be new or you have not had to repair it yet. The sad reality is that with very few exceptions, water source heat exchange specifically, you are going to be a net loser in 10 yrs.
The reality today is more geo units are being replaced than installed. High efficiency variable speed heat pumps are displacing them with squat for annual maintenance compared to a geo therm. You got sold a song that will play over and over in your head for years.
Do not argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.

The problem with the gene pool is that there is no lifeguard.

Urban Cowboy likes this post.
twobits
Guru

Liked in: 3448 posts

Postby twobits » Feb 12th, 2019, 5:23 pm

Cactusflower wrote:
Gee......and I thought I made myself perfectly clear on that. I'll try again. If one buys an EV and reads the owner's manual, one will find that there are ways to drive that can increase the range one can drive between battery charges. One way is to put the vehicle into B drive while travelling down a steep hill. However, even if one doesn't use B drive, the car will charge its battery while going downhill, just not as quickly. Another range saver is to drive most of the time in Eco-mode. The only time one needs to put it in regular Drive-mode is if one is climbing a long, steep hill. (Eco-mode is kinda like overdrive).

Anything else I can help you with?

Nope. You have pretty much summed up why I will never be interested in buying an EV as it just simply does not fit the driving pattern I require.
Certainly will not be buying your used EV when it is 6 years old and facing a 10k battery replacement. That 10k bill for batteries BTW......is just the accumulated cost of the free power you have siphoned. What goes around comes around Cactus. Your butt will be bit by this car.....you just have not felt it yet.
Do not argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.

The problem with the gene pool is that there is no lifeguard.

2 people like this post.
twobits
Guru

Liked in: 3448 posts

Postby Cactusflower » Feb 12th, 2019, 8:07 pm

Bsuds wrote:
Cactusflower wrote:Anything else I can help you with?

You could answer my original question with out deflecting it.

What do you consider charging "not very often" to be? I am interested to know at what point do you consider it necessary to plug in your car?

When it is down to 50%, 40, 30, or do you keep it topped up just in case?

If I drove one I would probably keep it plugged in whenever I had the opportunity. I am just curious as to what someone who drives one does.

I do exactly as you say you'd do. I charge it (fill it up) when it gets down to between 1/4 and 1/2 full, just in case I have to travel a long distance unexpectedly, just as I did with my Chevy Cobalt.
Cactusflower
Lord of the Board

Postby Smurf » Feb 13th, 2019, 7:02 am

It;s okay Bsuds I notice she conveniently missed answering my question also. Easier to ignore than answer difficult questions that don't fit your narrative. [icon_lol2.gif]
Consider how hard it is to change yourself and you'll understand what little chance you have of changing others.

The happiest of people don't necessarily have the best of everything, they just make the most of everything that comes their way.

3 people like this post.
Smurf
Guru

Liked in: 6201 posts

PreviousNext

Return to B.C.