Cold weather saps batteries

OKkayak
Walks on Forum Water

Re: Cold weather saps batteries

Post by OKkayak »

blackdog777 wrote:If a car works for you, that's great! Fact is, they don't for the majority of the horse and carriage public hence why they only account for 2.5% of the vehicles on the road in Canada. Until an Car is comparable in features to a standard horse and carriage for the same and unsubsidized price of a bushel of hay and it offers comparable range with a fully fed horse, the majority of the horse and carriage public will not be purchasing one, plain and simple.

Which side of history do you reside on?

I reside in the present, where reality exists.

The motor vehicle replaced horse and buggy, in time. The motor vehicle presented a technology that was superior to the technology it replaced by offering a more affordable and convenient mode of transportation.

EVs, or another source of power will eventually replace the current IC engine, in time. EVs currently do not present a superior technology that's more affordable or convenient as a mode of transportation.

I require a vehicle that provides me with a convenient method of providing me with the requirements I need a vehicle for, and 98.5% of the motoring public in this country feel the same.
Smurf
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Smurf »

Wonder how an EV would do sitting at a highway accident for 4 or 5 hours at -20. I'm betting very chilly and possibly not get to the next charging station. I believe I'll be driving a petro vehicle for as long as I drive. In fact it will be my current vehicle unless I smash it up. Hopefully I get 20 years out of this one just like the last one.
Consider how hard it is to change yourself and you'll understand what little chance you have of changing others.

The happiest of people don't necessarily have the best of everything, they just make the most of everything that comes their way.
blackdog777

Post by blackdog777 »

Most EV's will be just fine sitting in cold weather for 4 -5 hours with the heater on.
Uses less power heating than driving.

Can you say the same about your old gas guzzler? Maybe try idling for 4 -5 hours with your exhaust blocked and let me know how that turns out.

I will bet that most posters on this thread have never even sat in a EV let alone drive one.

I've driven one for years and would never go back to ICE.

Stereotyping - isnt it wonderful
countmeout
Übergod

Post by countmeout »

blackdog777 wrote:Most EV's will be just fine sitting in cold weather for 4 -5 hours with the heater on.
Uses less power heating than driving.

Can you say the same about your old gas guzzler? Maybe try idling for 4 -5 hours with your exhaust blocked and let me know how that turns out.

I will bet that most posters on this thread have never even sat in a EV let alone drive one.

I've driven one for years and would never go back to ICE.

Stereotyping - isnt it wonderful

Lol read the review I posted. Each time they stopped in cold weather to taje pictures they noticed the battery draining.
Cactusflower
Banned

Post by Cactusflower »

^^It's not wise to believe everything you read on those 'reviews'. You'd be better off talking to people who actually own one. I own one, and I would never go back to a gas guzzler. Every EV owner I've met says the same thing, even the ones with older models.
OKkayak
Walks on Forum Water

Post by OKkayak »

blackdog777 wrote:Can you say the same about your old gas guzzler? Maybe try idling for 4 -5 hours with your exhaust blocked and let me know how that turns out.l

Why would one sit with the exhaust blocked? What a silly argument.
blackdog777 wrote:I will bet that most posters on this thread have never even sat in a EV let alone drive one.l

And that doesn't amount to a hill of beans. Even if someone has sat in one and eve driven one, that doesn't change the fact that the vehicle is too expensive and impractical for their needs. No one is arguing that they don't drive nice or are uncomfortable. There is no "fear" perception of them. It's a question fo practicality, nothing more and nothing less.
blackdog777 wrote:I've driven one for years and would never go back to ICEl

Ummm, congratulations? :135:
OKkayak
Walks on Forum Water

Post by OKkayak »

Cactusflower wrote:^^It's not wise to believe everything you read on those 'reviews'. You'd be better off talking to people who actually own one. I own one, and I would never go back to a gas guzzler. Every EV owner I've met says the same thing, even the ones with older models.

I do agree with that, its always good to get a first hand information from people who actually own a vehicle because, unlike some reviewers, owners actually own the vehicle, drive it daily and own it for a much longer period of time, so you can get the heads up on any potential issues or quirks. However, you still have to be cautious as some owners are very biased and their information can be a bit tainted, brand loyalty, etc.
Urban Cowboy
Guru

Post by Urban Cowboy »

I notice blackdog777 hasn't responded to my question, so I guess it must not fit the narrative.
“Not All Those Who Wander Are Lost" - Tolkien
OKkayak
Walks on Forum Water

Post by OKkayak »

Urban Cowboy wrote:I notice blackdog777 hasn't responded to my question, so I guess it must not fit the narrative.

Must be an EV car salesman. Ask them a question and they deflect off to something obscure because they know their answer sucks [icon_lol2.gif]
JagXKR
Lord of the Board

Post by JagXKR »

https://newsroom.aaa.com/2019/02/cold-w ... cle-range/

As freezing temperatures plague much of the country, electric vehicle owners may experience a decrease in driving range, compounded by the use of the vehicle’s interior climate control. New research from AAA reveals that when the mercury dips to 20°F and the HVAC system is used to heat the inside of the vehicle, the average driving range is decreased by 41 percent. This means for every 100 miles of combined urban/highway driving, the range at 20°F would be reduced to 59 miles. When colder temperatures hit, AAA urges electric vehicle owners to be aware of a reduction in range and the need to charge more often to minimize the chance of being stranded by a dead battery.

This is real testing not some anecdotal nonsense by what may be an EV salesman. Sounds like a duck to me....

BTW 20F is -6.7C, which all of us experienced, and colder, this last week.
Why use a big word when a diminutive one will suffice.
erinmore3775
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by erinmore3775 »

I am always amazed at those "environmentalists" who believe that since something fits their lifestyle and their philosophy it MUST fit the lifestyle and philosophy of everyone else. Electric vehicle transportation may be the major mode of transportation in Canada in thirty years however, it will not be prevalent in all ts of Canada. Just like now, EV transportation will be limited by costs and infrastructure.
While EV transportation may/will become the future of large urban centres, rural areas will continue to rely on carbon-fueled for transportation and industrial and agricultural machinery. Today, your Telsa S, Leaf, or Volt may be suitable for travel between Kelowna and Penticton, but would you be taking that car to Vancouver during the winter at -20? How would that car fair today stuck near the snow shed for 5 hours in a sudden snow squall because of a jack-knifed semi? Would your confidence in today's EV technology encourage you to make the trip?
The current costs of EV's make them beyond the reach of the average citizen. Their limited range means they are only suitable for urban travel. Their charging requirements limit their ownership to privately owned residences since most rental residences and condominiums do not provide access to even 110v charging facilities.
I support clean energy. I support moving away from carbon-based fuels. However, I am also practical. The movement to EV transportation is going to require significant electrical infrastructure upgrades. According to Telsa, it takes approximately 70kwh of electricity yo fully charge the 60 kwh battery. Now picture 20,000 cars or more, requiring a half charge plugging into the electrical system during peak use, between 6 & 8 PM. Where is that extra electricity going to come from, especially on a -20 winter night with most of BC using electric heat. It is going to require either new hydroelectric dams or nuclear power stations in conjunction with massive wind power generation. Consider this, on average, most people use up to 8 kWh when they cook their Thanksgiving turkey. With that same amount of energy, you could watch about 40 hours worth of football! Or you could wash 2.5 loads of laundry in hot water. Now, how many dinners could you cook on a single Tesla charge?
I would respectfully suggest that before we start to push the EV bandwagon down the hill of no return, we have the proper electrical infrastructure in place.
We won’t fight homelessness, hunger, or poverty, but we can fight climate change. The juxtaposition of the now and the future, food for thought.

"You make a living by what you get; you make a life by what you give." - Winston Churchill
Urban Cowboy
Guru

Post by Urban Cowboy »

Very well stated. :up:
“Not All Those Who Wander Are Lost" - Tolkien
Jlabute
Guru

Post by Jlabute »

The types of cells in an electric vehicle tend to be mass manufactured 'A' size or similar. Regardless of the specific cathode design or lithium rechargeable chemistry, low temperatures have a nasty effect and performance tends to really taper off around -20c for all lithium rechargeable chemistries. There are some lithium battery chemistries designed for super-low temperatures but they are not rechargeable, such as lithium thionyl chloride.

Most EV vehicles will continuously use power if necessary to control the battery temperature in the form of a smart temperature management system. batteries below -20c will have exponentially worse capacity and voltage. A heated garage sure helps, but that costs you more $$ upfront.

There is certainly a trade-off between how cold can the batteries get, and how much power should be used keeping them warm. This only gets worse in colder temperatures. EV engineers have had numerous issues with battery temperature management over the years. It is one thing you don't want to have fail especially in hot places when you have to keep the batteries cool, lest they explode.

So, most of us are waiting for a better battery to come up to bat.

Li_Po_DiscTGph.jpg

-40c will make your temperature management system run in to over-time.
Lord Kelvin - When you can measure what you are speaking about, and express it in numbers, you know something about it.
Cactusflower
Banned

Post by Cactusflower »

OKkayak wrote:
Urban Cowboy wrote:I notice blackdog777 hasn't responded to my question, so I guess it must not fit the narrative.

Must be an EV car salesman. Ask them a question and they deflect off to something obscure because they know their answer sucks [icon_lol2.gif]

Or perhaps he has UC on his ignore list and chooses not to read those submissions..
jimmy4321
Guru

Post by jimmy4321 »

I always owned gas guzzlers and that probably won't change much till i retire.
I won't buy an EV anytime soon but i cheering these people on who have the guts to throw money at them now, it'll only advance the whole EV thing.

Return to “B.C.”