Cold weather saps batteries

The Green Barbarian
Insanely Prolific

Re: Cold weather saps batteries

Post by The Green Barbarian »

one wheel wrote: & a pair of EV Charging Units & there is zero to do while you wait ?

oh that's not true. While you wait for your EV to charge, you can virtue-signal to all of those silly fossil fuel consuming *bleep* in the parking lot about what a great person you are and what terrible people everyone else is. It's amazing how fast time flies while warming your tummy!
"The woke narcissists who make up the progressive left are characterized by an absolute lack of such conscience, but are experts at exploiting its presence in others." - Jordan Peterson
The Green Barbarian
Insanely Prolific

Post by The Green Barbarian »

Urban Cowboy wrote:
Thinking the same myself, along with wondering why they'd even bother making a vehicle with a range that low?

because it's not about practicality, it's about showing everyone that you are a better human being than they are. Organized religion may be on the wane, but humans still want to feel better than others, and so instead of going to church, you buy a Tesla.
"The woke narcissists who make up the progressive left are characterized by an absolute lack of such conscience, but are experts at exploiting its presence in others." - Jordan Peterson
twobits
Guru

Post by twobits »

Cactusflower wrote:^^Of course I don't travel in an E-RV. They aren't even available in Canada yet. Perhaps you need a refresher course in reading.
You may even learn the meaning of the word 'troll'.

And yet you make mileage claims for your EV travel that are impossible to Mexico. That is "troll" for forum purposes. Did not mean you were some grotesque figure that lived under a bridge.
I actually like those kind of trolls.
Do not argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.

The problem with the gene pool is that there is no lifeguard.
Cactusflower
Banned

Post by Cactusflower »

Smurf wrote:Some might try it but I will guarantee you myself, my wife and her cat will not spend 5 to 6 months living in a camper van :smt045 .

Travel vans aren't meant to be used by families. They're more suited to people who like to fly solo. The range is okay if one is on vacation and in no great hurry to get to a certain destination. After all, didn't some wise person say that the journey is more than half the fun? Driving 12 hours a day just to get to my final destination used to be the norm before I retired, but I enjoy a much more relaxed travel schedule now.
George Orwell 1984
Lord of the Board

Post by George Orwell 1984 »

I can picture it now - off on the roadside impatiently waiting for the batteries to charge while I’m either freezing or sweltering,
That doesn’t include being able to move the damn thing. Just not ready.
Cactusflower
Banned

Post by Cactusflower »

George Orwell 1984 wrote:I can picture it now - off on the roadside impatiently waiting for the batteries to charge while I’m either freezing or sweltering,
That doesn’t include being able to move the damn thing. Just not ready.

There are thousands of quick charge stations all over North America. No need to wait more than 1/2 hour for a full charge, just time for a quick cup of coffee/lunch/ :admin: bathroom break. You really need to get informed about EVs. A good place to start is Google.
GordonH
Сварливий старий мерзотник

Post by GordonH »

3.7kW Charger can charge 24 kms of range per hour
7.0kW Charger can charge 48 kms of range per hour
22kW Charger can charge 129 kms of range per hour

I suggest if one has less then 3 weeks of vacation time, better off taking the gasoline or diesel vehicle.
I don't give a damn whether people/posters like me or dislike me, I'm not on earth to win any popularity contests.
Cactusflower
Banned

Post by Cactusflower »

^^Where did you get those numbers from? Seriously, post the website, that's simply not true.The quick charge station I use gives me 150kms in 1/2 hr.
OKkayak
Walks on Forum Water

Post by OKkayak »

Taken from "EVTown's" website:

Charging time can increase in cold temperatures.

Cold weather can lengthen the time required to charge.

Loon Lake, isn't that up in the nice, cold, wintery mountains? :biggrin:
Cactusflower
Banned

Post by Cactusflower »

^^Rational Canadians don't use their RVs to travel in Canada during the winter.
OKkayak
Walks on Forum Water

Post by OKkayak »

Cactusflower wrote:^^Rational Canadians don't use their RVs to travel in Canada during the winter.

So? Do they leave their EVs at home too?
Cactusflower
Banned

Post by Cactusflower »

^^Why are you even trying to discuss this topic? You obviously know nothing about it.
OKkayak
Walks on Forum Water

Post by OKkayak »

Cactusflower wrote:^^Why are you even trying to discuss this topic? You obviously know nothing about it.

:spitcoffee:

Thread title is "Cold Weather Saps Batteries".
Topic is cold weather related influence on EV batteries.
Poster posts quotes about chargers taking longer to charge EV batteries in cold weather.
Another poster proceeds to tell said poster they know nothing about the topic.

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
Cactusflower
Banned

Post by Cactusflower »

OKkayak wrote:
Cactusflower wrote:^^Why are you even trying to discuss this topic? You obviously know nothing about it.

:spitcoffee:

Thread title is "Cold Weather Saps Batteries".
Topic is cold weather related influence on EV batteries.
Poster posts quotes about chargers taking longer to charge EV batteries in cold weather.
Another poster proceeds to tell said poster they know nothing about the topic.

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

What's so funny? It's common knowledge that cold weather is a factor in the performance of batteries. What point are you trying to make?
OKkayak
Walks on Forum Water

Post by OKkayak »

Cactusflower wrote:What's so funny? It's common knowledge that cold weather is a factor in the performance of batteries. What point are you trying to make?

And yet here we are, 7 pages of discussing that very topic :laugh:

Return to “B.C.”